Windows 10: usb connected hard drive will not power down after last 2 updates, win7 and win10

Discus and support usb connected hard drive will not power down after last 2 updates, win7 and win10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; usb connected hard drive will not power down after last 2 updates, win7 and win10, shutting off from the hard drive enclose power switch or pulling... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kjl1956, Jun 15, 2019.

1. kjl1956 Win User

usb connected hard drive will not power down after last 2 updates, win7 and win10

usb connected hard drive will not power down after last 2 updates, win7 and win10, shutting off from the hard drive enclose power switch or pulling the plug from the wall socket, get a high pitch sound as if the drive is still spinning.
    Using the drive to store videos and music, no installed apps, drive is set for quick removal, Usb settings, selective shut down-off drive sleep state set to 0, device manager usb all hubs unchecked allow to turn off. On win7 I have 3 other usb hard drives connected 360gb,500gb and 1tb all have no issues but this 2tb drive on win7 and win10 has the same issue.
    This was not an issue before the last 2 cu for 10 and 7.

:)

kjl1956, Jun 15, 2019

2. 2nd Hard Drive Powers Down Automatically

Hi,

This issue may arise due to the following reasons:

• Hard drive failure or corruptions.
    • Issues with the power supply.
    • USB related issues.
    • Driver conflicts.
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers and check if the issue persists.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit onEnter Key.

3. Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

4. Right click and click on delete.

If the issue still persists, check if the power management option is turned in the in the USB drive or other devices when you connect the hard drive.

a. Press Windows key + X and select
    Device Manager.

b. In Device Manager, under
    Universal Serial Bus Controllers
    , double-click on the 1st Root Hub.

c. Go to the Power tab to see if the drive is connected to it. If not, try the next Root Hub. If so, click the
    Power Management tab. Uncheck the box that says: "allow computer to turn off this device to save power

Hope the information helps. Please do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 15, 2019
  3. Tim B285 Win User
    Win10 on new hard drive, how to activate

• Installed Win10 to new hard drive, but Win7 code does not work.
    • Tried online (slui.exe 4) activation:
      • entered numeric codes online - which failed,
      • talked to 1st line tech who entered Win7 code - did not work,
      • transferred me to 2nd line tech and no one came on the phone line after 2.5 hours.

Win7 was pre-installed on HP computer with no media provided and HP support has no process to supply replacement media or ISO (last HP purchase). Tried to install Win7 to new drive using Recovery Disks I created, but it could not find system image.

Not willing to return to old hard drive as the new one has SSD and is at least 3 (7?) times faster.

QUESTION 1: Is my only option now to buy either Win7 or Win10?

QUESTION 2: Without activation, when will Win10 no longer boot? If 12 months, I can retry online activation later.

Tim B285, Jun 15, 2019
  4. tonistein Win User

usb connected hard drive will not power down after last 2 updates, win7 and win10

Sharing drives with Win7 & Win10

My system is running both Win7 & Win10 on different SSD. There are 2 more HDDs of 2TB each in the PC. After using them in Win10 & then switch back to Win7 the 2HDDs will be scanned at bootup over & over again. Those data created in Win10 are not accessible
    in Win7.

Then I got an USB flashdrive 64Gb created in Win7 & then used in Win10. After that it can't be accessed in Win7 anymore. Message say to format the drive before usage

tonistein, Jun 15, 2019
Thema:

1. usb connected hard drive will not power down after last 2 updates, win7 and win10 - Similar Threads - usb connected hard

2. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question: I have an old PC running Win7 that cannot be upgraded to 10 because of the BIOS not supporting Win10.I have purchased another PC with Win10 installed, so the new PC BIOS is Win10 compatible.I'd like to be able to avoid having to reinstall all the software that I have on my...
  3. Power schema in Win10 by Win7

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power schema in Win10 by Win7: Hello, how can be possible to set own power schema in Windows 10 like in Windows 7. Actually is changed after each connect to power adapter and switch to battery, etc. Thank you....
  4. Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7: Hello, I'm not sure if this is even a Windows issue but I thought I'd try to see if maybe anyone can shed some insight as to what the heck is going on with my computer! I have a HDD with Win7 installed and as a partition from way back when. I've since gotten a SSD with...
  5. usb connected hard drive will not power down after last 2 updates, win7 and win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb connected hard drive will not power down after last 2 updates, win7 and win10: usb connected hard drive will not power down after last 2 updates, win7 and win10, shutting off from the hard drive enclose power switch or pulling the plug from the wall socket, get a high pitch sound as if the drive is still spinning. Using the drive to store videos and...
  6. Hard drives cannot be accessed after switch from Win7 to Win10

Hard drives cannot be accessed after switch from Win7 to Win10: Hello. I am a victim of an apparently rare bug. I wanted to try out Win10 as a partition for a dual boot option (Since some games run better on Win10 than Win7). I heard rumors of Win10 being incredibly agressive but I had no idea how much. Win10 tried to eat and destroy...
  7. after the win7 to win10

after the win7 to win10: I see where everyone is talking about the oldwindows.folder, I don't have or have never seen it but I do have this "windowss7_os(C:)" that is part of my index under this pc. I had for the longest time 2 document folders. I did a search for the oldwindows.folder and the...
  8. will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?

will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?: In the past few days, win10 seems to have serious issues with that win7 drive plugged into the sata port? So much so that I wiped the win10 partitions and did fresh install. Prior to the fresh install win10 refused to boot to the desktop if that other win7 drive was plugged...
  9. Powered usb external hard drive in powered usb hub

Powered usb external hard drive in powered usb hub: I have two powered USB 2.0 hard drives that I plan to plug into a powered USB 3.0 hub. I know I won't get the USB 3.0 speed, but should the I also connect each drive's power connection? Thank you for your help. 96467
  10. recover win7 drive use after install Win10 on 2 drive dual boot sys?

recover win7 drive use after install Win10 on 2 drive dual boot sys?: If this question has been addressed elsewhere, please direct me there. I have a duel hard drive, dual boot system. Before upgrading to Win10, I purchased a Samsung 850 EVO SSD drive. I cloned my Win7 HHD drive to the SSD. I then deleted different items on each of the...