Windows 10: USB connection question

Discus and support USB connection question in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm upgrading to a new PC (Asus) that has USB 3.1 ports. I have 3 USB 3.0 drives to connect. Question is do I need a adapter or a connecter, or will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CRGibson, Dec 25, 2017.

1. CRGibson Win User

USB connection question

I'm upgrading to a new PC (Asus) that has USB 3.1 ports. I have 3 USB 3.0 drives to connect. Question is do I need a adapter or a connecter, or will the USB 3.0 male fit into the USB 3.1 port?

As you can tell, I'm not up on the new USB questions.

Thanks for any help.

:)

CRGibson, Dec 25, 2017

2. Having trouble connecting to windows phone with USB Cable

Thank you for your help. Your solutions were unable to correct the problem. I have resorted to reaching out to Windows support. Unfortunately the only way that I can find support from a human at microsoft is through the Windows phone help twitter account. I
    have tweeted my question and am now waiting for a response. The support page
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2749484?wa=wsignin1.0
    does not offer a working solution either. I guess I will have to wait for the next update to roll out. Maybe this will solve my issue.

Again, Thank you.

Frustrated USB Connection, Dec 25, 2017
  3. Having trouble connecting to windows phone with USB Cable

I have looked at every post, and tried all of the recommended fixes, but I still can not connect my Lumia Icon to my PC.

My PC runs windows 8.1. When I connect my phone I receive the error "USB device not recognized (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". I have tried to uninstall the USB driver that is not working then connect the phone again. This results in the same problem.
    My computer is up to date and so is the phone. Also, under the Device Manager no drivers for "portable devices" or "other devices" ever shows up when connecting via USB.

Please Help, thank you.

Frustrated USB Connection, Dec 25, 2017
  4. USB connection question

Hi GRGibson.

USB standards and port types are in some way different asks. USB3.1 come in the Type A connector, the traditional rectangular shape, and the newer Type C that does not have to be oriented to be connected.

Type A is the rectangular plug that has to be oriented right to be inserted, always as PIA.

Type C is small oval which does not have to be oriented, it just plugs in.

USB 3.1 comes as a Gen 1 or a Gen 2.

Honestly you should have no problems with your older devices but check that there are enough Type A ports to connect your devices. In new devices Type C ports are appearing but there will likely only be one.

Even on Asus high end motherboards there is usually only one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C port. ( and a header for a second )

So have a look at your machine specs or pictures or rear ports and ask how many USB 3.1 Gen 1 with Type A connectors are there?

Does this meet your needs.

Caledon Ken, Dec 26, 2017
  5. CRGibson Win User
    Caledon Ken - Thanks so much for you reply and great info. The unit comes with 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 on the front panel and 2 USB 3.0 Gen 1 ports in the rear. Looks like I'm good to go.

Thanks again.

CRGibson, Dec 26, 2017
  6. Great. Always nice getting a new computer. Good luck.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB connection question

1. USB connection question - Similar Threads - USB connection question

2. netowork connection in question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    netowork connection in question: Ethernet connection discontinue itself when you play video in a browser. I tried to clear cache and cookies and tried to use different browser but still the same. I also unplug the ethernet cord and wait for couple of minutes and plug it back in. When I open browser again and...
  3. USB Drive Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drive Question: Can anyone give me advice on how do I stop my USB drive to not keep flashing constantly? My 4GB pen drive is not staying stable. I need some help on it. I tried running some command prompts, tried deleting the driver, and restarting the computer, tried plugging and unplugging...
  4. No question/pop-up appears after connecting an USB Drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No question/pop-up appears after connecting an USB Drive?: As the title says, what should I do? I recently installed Bitdefender that maybe disable this option. Please help, it's really annoying for me. I checked setting and control panel for it, but whenever I change something, nothing changed (after restart too). I there registry...
  5. USB WiFi Question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB WiFi Question: If a computer has a built in WiFi card and with Windows 10, can I still use a USB WiFi. 152411
  6. Bluetooth connection question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth connection question: Hello. I have a Harman/Kardon Onyx Mini Bluetooth speaker that connects with no issues to my phone and iPad, however with my PC it connects as a headset microphone and won't playback audio even if it says the bluetooth connection is good and that the device is working...
  7. usb question

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    usb question: When trying to use my USB to install windows on another laptop it keeps asking me to browse for drivers is the USB download corrupt Thank you Tim https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-question/189e987c-b4f2-490a-b64f-d73268843439
  8. Email connection question

in Browsers and Email
    Email connection question: Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 I have used comcast.net server and Windows Live Mail for years. Just recently WLM stopped making a connection and delivered an error report. I had a chat with a Comcast agent and reviewed all my settings but no improvement. Thinking that...
  9. Ethernet connection question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet connection question: With Windows 7, There was a place to check if you wanted the computer to search for a Ethernt connection before connecting to wifi. I can't find that in W10, and am having difficulties getting the Ethernet connection to work. I am starting a new job and wireless is...
  10. USB 3.1,3.0,2.0 Question?.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB 3.1,3.0,2.0 Question?.: I upgraded my PC last week and it all went very well and everything is working as it should but I have a problem understanding the USB port connections. On the motherboard outlet panel on the back of the PC there are several USB 3.1, 3.0 and 2.0 ports. When I was connecting...