Windows 10: USB device still running after laptop shut down

Discus and support USB device still running after laptop shut down in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Brand new Dell XPS-13, Win10 CU After I properly shutdown my laptop and unplug AC power why are the USB-powered fans still running in my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dangnad2, Sep 7, 2017.

1. dangnad2 Win User

USB device still running after laptop shut down

Brand new Dell XPS-13, Win10 CU

After I properly shutdown my laptop and unplug AC power why are the USB-powered fans still running in my laptop cooling pad?

Also, 100% charge, shutdown, not run for 48 hours, start up, why is the charge down to 90%?

:)

dangnad2, Sep 7, 2017

2. Laptop CPU Fan still running after Shut Down

Hi Srimadhwa B,

Thank you for your reply.

I installed all pending Windows 10 updates but there are 3 Unknown devices listed in the Other devices category in the Device Manager. When I try to update them a message showing with "Windows was unable to install your Unknown Device"

[Pic]

USB device still running after laptop shut down [​IMG]

Please provide a quick solution for this problem.

Note: I want you ask one question, what is the reason for CPU Fan running even after shutdown.
    is because of Windows 10 or because of BIOS A08 update ?

Maham Kali Badugula, Sep 7, 2017
  3. goodie007 Win User
    Laptop CPU Fan still running after Shut Down

I also use the same laptop , had the same problem and fixed it by installing these drivers in this order as it is a driver conflict

NB difference in graphics card so choose yours. the first one for intel and the second for nvidia

downloadmirror.intel.com/.../win64_154004.2.exe

Nvidia: in.download.nvidia.com/.../353.62-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

IME: downloads.dell.com/.../Chipset_Driver_5R99D_WN32_11.0.0.1153_A00.EXE

Chipset: downloads.dell.com/.../Chipset_Driver_P79WN_WN32_10.1.1.7_A00.EXE

Touchpad:http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03110129M/1/Input_Driver_CN4KX_WN32_19.0.9.4_A00.EXEKindly

reference Solved: Fan still works after shut down (Windows 10). - Dell Community

goodie007, Sep 7, 2017
  4. caperjack Win User

motherboards hold power for awhile, if you hold down the power button after the shutdown,to drain all power from the laptop ,do the usb cooling fans shut off

if the the cooling pad comes on when the laptop is turned on that would account for some of the 10% ,my laptops always used 3to5% on bootup ,the longer the boot took the more they used

caperjack, Sep 7, 2017
  5. fireberd Win User
    There are "charging" USB ports (there is one of the three USB ports on my new Dell Inspiron 15) that still have USB power when the PC is powered off. That is most likely the issue with yours. My Desktop has option to have a charging port (BIOS option).

There are many different XPS-13 models (e.g. XPS 13-9365 for example). Post the exact model and I can look at the Dell documentation for your specific model.

fireberd, Sep 7, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Bree, Sep 7, 2017
  7. dangnad2 Win User
    to fireberd: XPS-13 9360
    to Bree: I don't intend to charge anything with it. Tell me how to turn it off.

dangnad2, Sep 7, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

You may need to look for USB PowerShare in the documentation for your specific model. Dell's general Help is here...

Dell | Knowledge Base | USB PowerShare Feature

Bree, Sep 7, 2017
  9. fireberd Win User
    According to the Dell documentation the USB port on the Right side is the power share port.

fireberd, Sep 7, 2017
  10. dangnad2 Win User
    Thanks y'all for your replies. Just knowing that by design my USB ports are always hot makes me feel a little better.

dangnad2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB device still running after laptop shut down - Similar Threads - USB device still

2. After computer shut down, fans and lights are still on and running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After computer shut down, fans and lights are still on and running: HI, Recently, my computer no longer completely shuts down after using the Windows Start Menu / Power / Shut Down option. Windows shuts down, the screen goes blank but the computer stays on i.e. power light is on and fans are running. Here's what I've done so far to try to...
  3. After computer shut down, fans and lights are still on and running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After computer shut down, fans and lights are still on and running: HI, Recently, my computer no longer completely shuts down after using the Windows Start Menu / Power / Shut Down option. Windows shuts down, the screen goes blank but the computer stays on i.e. power light is on and fans are running. Here's what I've done so far to try to...
  4. Windows 11 Shuts Down - Computer Still Running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Shuts Down - Computer Still Running: Recently I've been having troubles with my new Windows 11 computer not sleeping and not shutting down. When I click shut down, the OS seems to shut down but the computer itself is still running.After some digging I decided to disable "Fast Startup". When shutting down, I get...
  5. Windows 11 Shuts Down - Computer Still Running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Shuts Down - Computer Still Running: Recently I've been having troubles with my new Windows 11 computer not sleeping and not shutting down. When I click shut down, the OS seems to shut down but the computer itself is still running.After some digging I decided to disable "Fast Startup". When shutting down, I get...
  6. USB Dock and connected devices mouse, keyboard etc. still powered on even after shut down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Dock and connected devices mouse, keyboard etc. still powered on even after shut down: Recently bought a usb c dock for my zenbook and after shut down the dock seems still using power and connected devices are powered on even the computer is shut down. I followed many steps provided in this post...
  7. Windows 10 shuts down randomly but computer is still running.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 shuts down randomly but computer is still running.: Hi all!I've built my own computer last year 2020 mainly for gaming and it's been great to me, until this past week. I have been running into this problem where I am playing games online and suddenly I lose connection on my video, keyboard, and sound. It seems like it was a...
  8. Fans still running after shutting down the PC.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fans still running after shutting down the PC.: So, I was manually installing the Nvidia drivers for my model (Acer Nitro 5). The installation got stuck. It was already a couple of hours, so I killed it from the task manager and shut down the pc. The fans were running when the installation was going on and they continued...
  9. Cannot shut down because task still running

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot shut down because task still running: I cannot shut down because task manager shows \language component installer\ installation still running. How do I fix this please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-shut-down-because-task-still-running/6f1b22f8-38b2-4f50-85ed-731127499601
  10. Fan still running after shut lid and shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Fan still running after shut lid and shut down: Hey guys, I have noticed this problem come up on my Dell 7537 (Check out my profile for details) when I close the lid to put the computer to sleep, the HDD light turns off, but the fan continues to run, even after several hours. When I open the lid back up, it is just a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 usb device still on after shut down