Windows 10: USB devices doesn't work when the devices are plugged in to different ports

Discus and support USB devices doesn't work when the devices are plugged in to different ports in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So my friend has a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10, and he has a strange issue. He has 2 USB ports, both 3.0, and the situation is like this: PORT 1:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RogerOriginals, Feb 9, 2019.

1. USB devices doesn't work when the devices are plugged in to different ports

So my friend has a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10, and he has a strange issue. He has 2 USB ports, both 3.0, and the situation is like this:

PORT 1: Mouse and Keyboard work in this port only. Don't work on PORT 2.

PORT 2: Scanner and Wacom tablet work in this port. Don't work in PORT 1.

This means his laptop can run either a Mouse+Scanner, Mouse+Tablet, Keyboard+Tablet or Keyboard+Mouse. No other combination works, like Mouse+Keyboard or Scanner+Tablet. Obviously he has problems using both mouse and keyboard, as none of those work in PORT 2. It is a very odd problem, as I originally thought his port is dead, but seeing how all his ports actually support some USB devices, these aren't dead at all. His phone is able to connect to computer via USB on both ports, and so is the case with his external HDD and pendrive.

All his updates are on-point, including the latest Windows 10 updates, all driver updates, all system and BIOS updates and everything there is basically to update on the software front. I am a bit of computer expert myself, as I always troubleshoot my pals' laptops, but this problem has baffled even me. All usual tricks such as turning off fast start, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and such have been tried with no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[He has been having this problem since he replaced his dead motherboard with a new one, under warranty, sometime back in August 2018. When he originally bought the brand new laptop in April 2018, everything was working fine.)

***Original title: External Keyboard and Mouse Don't Work Together***

:)

RogerOriginals, Feb 9, 2019

2. Moving device to different USB port = NIGHTMARE!

Hi all,

Is anyone else having this problem? I have 6 USB 2.0 ports and a 4x Hub plugged into one of them, and if more any device from one USB port to another, Windows thinks I'm plugging in a new device, and needs to go through the whole process of installing both the drivers and the software (in correct order yada yada) EACH time this is done.

I have 4 cables plugged into the 4 main USB ports, and everytime I unplug them all to open the case, I never know which ones went in which one so I whack them all back in, boot up, and have to go through settings them all up again! Its a NIGHTMARE! *Mad USB devices doesn't work when the devices are plugged in to different ports :mad:

Examples so far that needed reinstalling when switched USB ports:
    Vimicro Webcam - cannot just choose drivers again, need to reinstall off cd (even though cd recognises drivers are already installed - windows doesn't!!)
    Logitech MX700 mouse - movement of mouse is automatically enabled, but MouseWare software needs to be reinstalled
    Belkin USB 802.11g adapter - Complete and total nightmare, needs fully uninstalling and manually uninstall service before reinstall

The list goes on... I thought USB was plug and play!! Not only is it not plug and play (you need to install drivers/software, then plug in, then install drivers again!), but you can't even swap ports, they are considered by windows to be totally seperate and unconnected devices.

Any opinions/workarounds/advice/flame?

Pinksteady, Feb 9, 2019
  3. axe0 Win User
    BSOD driver_corrupted_expool plugging in USB device

Hi Wendelly,

As you say it is from your USB ports, but I have 2 questions regarding this.

1. Does a BSOD occur with every (should working) device you're trying to connect via USB?
    2. Does a BSOD occur when a device is connected on different USB ports?

axe0, Feb 9, 2019
  4. USB devices doesn't work when the devices are plugged in to different ports

USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean

The USB ports started failing intermittently again and then permanently.

Reinstalled 1703 again and that fixed it for a while then they started failing again.

When I plug in any peripheral it shows up in device manager with the exclamation mark.

I right-click 'update driver'
    Choose 'browse my computer...'
    'Let me pick from a list of...'
    Select the best candidate

Then the device will work. Until it is unplugged and plugged in again...

Then we are back to square one for that device.

Are there any suggestions for kicking the USB hub back to life so it recognises ordinary USB devices like mouses and keyboards without a manual driver update?

mojorising, Feb 9, 2019
Thema:

USB devices doesn't work when the devices are plugged in to different ports

1. USB devices doesn't work when the devices are plugged in to different ports - Similar Threads - USB devices doesn't

2. My USB device is not working when I plug it in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My USB device is not working when I plug it in.: I know it is not a USB issue because I've used multiple other USBs and they also don't work. I hear the sound that a USB is in use but I don't see the USB in file explorer. After a while I hear the USB disconnect then reconnect again....
  3. My USB device is not working when I plug it in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My USB device is not working when I plug it in.: I know it is not a USB issue because I've used multiple other USBs and they also don't work. I hear the sound that a USB is in use but I don't see the USB in file explorer. After a while I hear the USB disconnect then reconnect again....
  4. My USB device is not working when I plug it in.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB device not recognized when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB device not recognized when plugged in: When i plug in a usb stick into my laptop it makes a noise as though it knows it's there but won't display the contents. I've looked a loads of you tube videos which didn't solve the problem but i have noticed that I have a generic USB hub file listed under Universal Serial...
  6. USB device not recognized when plugged in

USB device not recognized when plugged in: When i plug in a usb stick into my laptop it makes a noise as though it knows it's there but won't display the contents. I've looked a loads of you tube videos which didn't solve the problem but i have noticed that I have a generic USB hub file listed under Universal Serial...
  7. USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in

USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in: I recently updated my computer and ever since then, any USB device no longer works with my laptop. It isn't the port as I'm still able to charge through USB-C and it isn't the devices as they work on other laptops. I've tried uninstalling USB Serial Bus Controllers, changing...
  8. USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in

USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in: I recently updated my computer and ever since then, any USB device no longer works with my laptop. It isn't the port as I'm still able to charge through USB-C and it isn't the devices as they work on other laptops. I've tried uninstalling USB Serial Bus Controllers, changing...
  9. USB-C ports don't work when devices are plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Different devices plugged into random usb ports?

Different devices plugged into random usb ports?: if I plug "device A" into "USB 1", and plug "device B" into "USB 2", then disconnect both devices and plug "device B" into "USB 1" there will be a device-driver conflict? Thanks! *Smile 173183