Windows 10: USB devices randomly stop working and will not reconnect to the same USB port

Discus and support USB devices randomly stop working and will not reconnect to the same USB port in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a DATAQ DI-1110 voltage sensor integrated into the control system of my smarthouse. The control system is a Windows application I wrote using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by HeinrichSI, Sep 21, 2019.

1. USB devices randomly stop working and will not reconnect to the same USB port

I have a DATAQ DI-1110 voltage sensor integrated into the control system of my smarthouse. The control system is a Windows application I wrote using Microsoft Visual C++ 2008. The control system runs 24/7 on a Dell 8910 Desktop with Windows 10. My problem is that the DI-1110 periodically stops working at seemingly random intervals (anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of hours). When I try shutting down and restarting the device programmatically, the code does not communicate correctly with the device, even though the device shows up on the system Device Manager correctly, i.e. “libusb-win32 devices/DATAQ DI-1110”. When I try unplugging the USB cable and replugging it in to reset the device, Windows 10 refuses reconnect the device to the same USB port to which it was previously connected, failing to recognize the device as “libusb-win32 devices/DATAQ DI-1110” and instead calling it “Universal Serial Bus controllers/Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request failed)”. To make matters worse, Windows 10 refuses to let me reassign the correct driver to the device in the USB port to which it was previously happily connected. To get the device running again, I must connect it to a different USB port, at which point the device shows up correctly on the system Device Manager again (i.e. “libusb-win32 devices/DATAQ DI-1110”) and I can restart my control system. So, any idea what is going on here? I think this is a Windows 10 USB issue, since my DI-1110 worked fine with my house control system for an extended period of time on the Windows XP machine with which I developed the VC++ application. Also, this same issue of Windows 10 stopping recognizing USB devices on specific ports and refusing to let them properly reconnect again has happened with other devices in my control system, i.e. PCSensor’s TEMPer 8, USBRelay’s 8-Channel relay, etc.

Of these 2 problems, I would most like to know why the DI-1110 is periodically stopping in the first place. I suspect there is some Windows 10 process that is periodically messing with connected USB devices. Would love if there were a way to turn the suspect process off.

NOTE: The computer running the control system of my smarthouse is not connected to the internet, and it has never received any updates from Microsoft.

:)

HeinrichSI, Sep 21, 2019
  2. smounce Win User

USB 2.0 Ports Stopped working

Hello,

I recently noticed my USB 2.0 ports have stopped working, but my USB 3.0 port is functioning perfectly.

Steps i have tried:

- Restarting

- Searching for device changes in Device manager

- running troubleshooter

all these suggested fixes didn't remedy the issue, its a bit of an inconvenience that i only have one functioning USB port

Thanks

smounce, Sep 21, 2019
  3. gastaunda Win User
    USB ports randomly stop working

I use my laptop, and randomly, all my USB ports just stop working. I end up having to restart my computer to fix the problem, but after that, it is only a little bit before the USB ports stop functioning.

Also when I go into device manager and try to disable/enable any devices, it freezes.

Also when I restart, my computer gets stuck on the post log out restart screen (I know it is post logout because my custom cursor reverts to the default).

I am not using an Insider patch. This is a release patch.

gastaunda, Sep 21, 2019
  4. USB devices randomly stop working and will not reconnect to the same USB port

USB ports stopped working on Windows 7

Check the N97's USB cable for signs of damage at the USB end, and inspect USB ports on your mobo/case for signs of damage. Could be a short caused by damaged USB port. Gotta have good eyes when checking USB ports...

If you only installed the drivers for your N97 yesterday, there may be a conflict where the N97 driver installation came with some drivers that are conflicting with your USB drivers. Can you get a PS/2 keyboard? If there's no signs of damage to your cables/USB ports then the next step would be Device Manager.

I hang my head in stupidity... :shadedshu

scaminatrix, Sep 21, 2019
Thema:

USB devices randomly stop working and will not reconnect to the same USB port

1. USB devices randomly stop working and will not reconnect to the same USB port - Similar Threads - USB devices randomly

2. USB 3.0 port stopped working with USB 2.0 devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB 3.0 port stopped working with USB 2.0 devices: My USB 3.0 ports worked perfectly with USB 2.0 devices my mouse specifically until I took my computer to a technician for a SSD expansion. When I connect my mouse to the USB 3.0 port, the optical light sensor turns on the light underneath the mouse but my computer doesn't...
  3. USB devices randomly disconnecting and reconnecting.

USB devices randomly disconnecting and reconnecting.: Hello everyone,I have recently built a new PC and i'm having issues with devices disconecting and reconnecting randomly.I have no idea what could be causing it.System specs:Ryzen 7 7800X3DAsus Tuf Gaming X670E-Plus Motherboard2x16 Corsair vengance 6400 Mhz RAMA wifi &...
  4. USB Ports Stops working randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Ports Stops working randomly: Hi,My Laptop USB ports suddenly stopped working. I tried to restart the laptop to fix that, doesn't help. So I tried to uninstall all the USB drivers in Device Manager, after restarting USB port is working fine for a few minutes. After sometime, it stops working. Is this a...
  5. USB Ports Stops working randomly

USB Ports Stops working randomly: Hi,My Laptop USB ports suddenly stopped working. I tried to restart the laptop to fix that, doesn't help. So I tried to uninstall all the USB drivers in Device Manager, after restarting USB port is working fine for a few minutes. After sometime, it stops working. Is this a...
  6. USB Ports Stops working randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. USB Ports disconnecting and reconnecting mouse randomly

USB Ports disconnecting and reconnecting mouse randomly: Hi! I've had a problem with my USB ports for a few weeks now. Sometimes the mouse disconnects and then reconnects randomly and then it stops working completely, I fix it by rebooting my laptop everytime it happens. This happens inside games but also while I'm browsing. The...
  8. USB ports randomly stop working

USB ports randomly stop working: I use my laptop, and randomly, all my USB ports just stop working. I end up having to restart my computer to fix the problem, but after that, it is only a little bit before the USB ports stop functioning. Also when I go into device manager and try to disable/enable any...
  9. USB devices randomly disconnect and reconnect

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB devices randomly disconnect and reconnect: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/bigman30685 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ikrjsc/usb_devices_randomly_disconnect_and_reconnect/
  10. USB Ports disconnecting and reconnecting mouse randomly

USB Ports disconnecting and reconnecting mouse randomly: Hi! I've had a problem with my USB ports for a few weeks now. Sometimes the mouse disconnects and then reconnects randomly. This usually happens inside games but has also happened while I'm browsing. A few times both my keyboard and mouse disconnects and reconnects but...