Windows 10: USB Drive Caddy Throws Error During System Shutdown/Restart

Discus and support USB Drive Caddy Throws Error During System Shutdown/Restart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey people! I've got an otherwise great dual SATA drive caddy, USB 3, made by ThermalTake, labeled SuperSpeed. It works just fine to let me use a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EdTittel, Apr 21, 2016.

1. EdTittel Win User

USB Drive Caddy Throws Error During System Shutdown/Restart

Hey people!
    I've got an otherwise great dual SATA drive caddy, USB 3, made by ThermalTake, labeled SuperSpeed. It works just fine to let me use a single USB 3.0 cable to attach 1 or 2 drives to my system. My problem is that when I restart or shut down, the system comes back after the restart/reboot to inform me that "a problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly." Here's the Reliability Monitor info:

USB Drive Caddy Throws Error During System Shutdown/Restart [​IMG]

I can avoid this problem simply by using the "Safely eject" utility to disconnect those USB drives before restart or shut down. Is that my only option? Is there some kind of shutdown script I could write that would automate that process? My problem is I don't always remember to clean up those drives before hitting restart (I hardly ever shut down).
    Inquiring minds wish to know. TIA for your ideas and input.
    --Ed--

:)

EdTittel, Apr 21, 2016
  2. tw0sheds Win User

USB 3.0 not working in windows 10

OK, I had the same or similar problem; DVD drive in USB 3 caddy wouldn't connect/froze system, Hard Drives in USB caddy would sporadically disconnect.

I spent ages trying to fix it, trying all the suggestions here and on other sites (none of which worked).

It seems it comes down to the chipset of the USB 3.

My motherboard had several onboard ports plus I had a pci-e card (with Reneasas chipset).

I turned off USB 3 support in BIOS and I could connect the DVD, HD problem persisted.

Removed USB 3 card and things seemed fine.

I've now bought a different USB 3 card (VIA chipset) and re-enabled USB 3 (XHCI) and it all works.

During my research I found a page (don't ask where) that said the Reneasas chipset was no longer supported.

tw0sheds, Apr 21, 2016
  3. My PC will not shut down after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply.

I suggest you to let the computer/laptop to shutdown on its own. This might take 1-2 hours. Do not force shutdown of remove the battery to shutdown. It will throw an blue screen error stating "Driver Power State Failure" and will collect the information
    regarding the error and will shutdown the system. Restart the computer/laptop and check if the issue persists.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 21, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Further research seems to indicate there are known issues with the USB controller in the ThermalTake BlackX Duet ST0022. I see lots of reports/complaints on the ThermalTake forums about this particular drive caddy. I can see, read from and write to my drivers from the enclosure/caddy no problem so it looks like I'm better off than many other buyers. I'm going to declare this solved, and start looking around for a more reliable 2x drive caddy to replace this one.
    Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 23, 2016
Thema:

1. USB Drive Caddy Throws Error During System Shutdown/Restart - Similar Threads - USB Drive Caddy

2. BSOD on shutdown/restart, crashes during media playback, malfunctioning USBs:...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD on shutdown/restart, crashes during media playback, malfunctioning USBs:...: Specs:Ryzen 7 1700Radeon RX 58016GB ramMSI B450 TOMAHAWK with latest biosWindows 10 22H2Having several problems with my PC that began around a month ago as mild occasional issues and have recently escalated and become worse. Not sure what has changed other than I moved and...
  3. BSOD on shutdown/restart, crashes during media playback, malfunctioning USBs:...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD on shutdown/restart, crashes during media playback, malfunctioning USBs:...: Specs:Ryzen 7 1700Radeon RX 58016GB ramMSI B450 TOMAHAWK with latest biosWindows 10 22H2Having several problems with my PC that began around a month ago as mild occasional issues and have recently escalated and become worse. Not sure what has changed other than I moved and...
  4. BSOD on shutdown/restart, crashes during media playback, malfunctioning USBs:...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. System error after computer shutdown during update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System error after computer shutdown during update: I wanted to restart my computer. The message "Updates are on their way" appeared. This took a long time and unfortunately I forced my computer to shut down. When I turned it on, a bluescreen appeared: Critical process died. Safe mode does not start. Startup Repair did not fix...
  6. System error after computer shutdown during update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System error after computer shutdown during update: I wanted to restart my computer. The message "Updates are on their way" appeared. This took a long time and unfortunately I forced my computer to shut down. When I turned it on, a bluescreen appeared: Critical process died. Safe mode does not start. Startup Repair did not fix...
  7. About system errors on Shutdown vs. Restart

in Windows 10 Support
    About system errors on Shutdown vs. Restart: On shutdown then power button machine boots with very, very few errors. On restart for example after installing a major Windows 10 updatethere are multiple errors in computer management including the continually bedeviling DCOM errors. Windows 10 completely upgraded to latest...
  8. Error during shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error during shutdown: When I tried to shut down, nvpbc plugin shutdown message appeared. My PC use the new windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-during-shutdown/8c88ca25-79ef-41ca-9647-3ca61fa4190d
  9. hard drive caddy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    hard drive caddy: Can anyone recommend a reliable easy to use hard drive caddy for sata hard drives 123448
  10. BSOD or freezing during Shutdown/Restart, no USB, No Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD or freezing during Shutdown/Restart, no USB, No Update: I recently built a new PC, initially everything was OK but now I get a number of problem sysmptoms (please see SYMPTOMS below). It's slightly more complicated than that because the PC switches between Good Mode and Bad Mode. In Bad Mode I get all the SYMPTOMS but in Good...