Windows 10: USB drive displays different file contents on different PCs

Discus and support USB drive displays different file contents on different PCs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I have a weird USD drive issue. The drive is a 1TB Western Digital My Passport drive that I use to move files between two PCs running Windows 10 64... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ad Astra, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Ad Astra Win User

USB drive displays different file contents on different PCs

Hi

I have a weird USD drive issue. The drive is a 1TB Western Digital My Passport drive that I use to move files between two PCs running Windows 10 64 bit version.

There is a typical example

PC 1 delete existing files, copy some new files to the USB drive, safely eject USB drive, shutdown PC. Unplug USD drive.

PC 2. plug in USB drive, power up PC. File explorer view of the USB Drive shows the last contents seen on this PC, i.e. the old contents, not the new files copied back over on PC 1. Cannot access any of the folders or files, not surprised as they do not exist on the drive.

Trouble shooting I have tried:

1) At first I though this was a corrupt USB drive so I purhcased a new one. This has exactly the same problem so I don't think it is a pyhysical USB drive issue.

2) Run Error Check on PC 2 for file system errors. This always reports issues, run fix and things go very wrong. I usually get permission errors and cannot access any folders on the drive

3) Format USB drive, tried both deep format and quick format. This fixes the access errors but only works on the PC I do the format on. Safely eject and move to the other PC and the issues reoccur.

4) Tried a different USB port on PC2, this worked the first time I plugged in the drive. But all other attempts to use that port cause the problem to reoccur.

As I always cleanly eject the USB drive before unplugging I am at a loss why this happens. Any ideas how the second PC is remembering the previous contents? This seems to be the route cause of the issue.

:)

Ad Astra, Aug 11, 2019

2. USB doesn't display MP4 file!

I have a 300kb mix of .png, .jpg, .pdf files on a 4Gb USB drive. I added a 2Gb MP4 movie but it doesn't display in the drive files. I used CCleaner to check the drive F files .. it only shows up as 2Gb of OTHER FILES, but not in the listed files.

Any (constructive) suggestions welcome. I can't remove it as it doesn't show in the file list.

GregNeedsHelp, Aug 11, 2019
  3. Shawn Win User
    USB Recovery Drive MS instructions different than Tens Forum

I went through Surface Book warranty to find the factory image. It is a three step process and the last step creates a Recovery USB Drive in a different manner than TensForum recommends (and different from their own support elsewhere). When the image is downloaded, the instructions state that files from there should be copied to the Recovery USB drive as the last step. But the specified folder does not exist ("recovery image folder"). Here is the link. Here is the screen shot:

USB drive displays different file contents on different PCs [​IMG]

Should I ignore these instructions and use TensForum version? Will the Recovery USB work with the zipped image I downloaded?

thanks,

Shawn, Aug 11, 2019
  4. Aera Rua Win User

External USB Drive Error

Hello,

I/O device error happened because your PC in not able perform an Input/ Output actions, such as reading or copying the data when you are trying to access the drive. This may occur due to different type of reasons; it may be due to damaged or defective hardware
    device or your pc requires an update for issues that may conflict USB external hard drive. To isolate the reason behind and find a fix for this, we recommend that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

Check if the problem is with the USB or with the PC.

• If you have different PC, try connecting your USB device there to see if you’ll encounter the same error or if you do not have an access to different PC, try connecting a different USB device to see if the issue persists.
    • If you encounter the same error while connecting the USB device to a different PC or if other USB devices works on your PC without the error, this may have been that your External USB device is corrupted or damaged.
    • In that case, you will need to reformat that USB device in order to use it again. Please do note that formatting your USB device will remove all of its contents.

If you encounter the same error when you connect a different USB device on your PC or if your USB device works fine with different PC, we recommend that you follow the troubleshooting steps in this

article
    to resolve the issue.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Aera Rua, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

1. USB drive displays different file contents on different PCs - Similar Threads - USB drive displays

2. Frequent BSODs, different PCs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent BSODs, different PCs: Hello, I'm having problems with Windows 10 and my two PCs desktop and laptop. Both of them are having frequent BSODs starting early last month, but they are a little different. PC restarts after BSOD, while laptop doesn't. I have tried everything, from new OSes, to running...
  3. Explorer and CMD display different directory contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer and CMD display different directory contents: Can anyone explain this? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-and-cmd-display-different-directory/65706aaf-70fc-4c4f-8558-2338393a3713
  4. CHM displays differently on various PCs

in Windows 10 Customization
    CHM displays differently on various PCs: When me or my colleagues open a CHM file, the file will display differently depending on which PC we are using. We are not sure what causes this issue. We all have different Windows builds. PCs with a lower Windows build display the CHM correctly. The higher the build, the...
  5. USB drive displays different file contents on different PCs

in Windows 10 Support
    USB drive displays different file contents on different PCs: Hi I have a weird USD drive issue. The drive is a 1TB Western Digital My Passport drive that I use to move files between two PCs running Windows 10 64 bit version. There is a typical example PC 1 delete existing files, copy some new files to the USB drive, safely eject USB...
  6. File Explorer Content and Details time difference

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Content and Details time difference: I have transferred some videos from my dash cam to my PC recently. I usually work with View>Details in File Explorer. I was surprised to find that, although the Date modified details matched the video upon pasting (which are correct), one hour has been added when I return to...
  7. Consolidate contents of three different hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Consolidate contents of three different hard drives: Is there a way to move the contents of two hard drives onto a third hard drive. All three are Win 10 drives but may be of different Win versions? One windows version is newer than the other two. What software could I use to keep it all simple? ( not a real whiz at computers)...
  8. Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content

in Windows 10 Support
    Find Files With Different File Names But Same Content: Hi. In Windows 10, is it possible to find documents with the same content but different filenames? 121161
  9. One Macrium rescue USB - several different pcs ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    One Macrium rescue USB - several different pcs ?: I have 6 Windows 10 Pro x64 pcs, some have optical disk some not, various i7 cpus (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen) and mobos. I have installed Macrium Reflect Free on all 6 and it would be really convenient if I could have just one bootable rescue USB for all the machines. Is this...
  10. Different Display Size for Different Programs

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Different Display Size for Different Programs: OK, since I started using my SP4 with Win 10, I've noticed a number of things - particularly Java-based (but not all Java based)- appear at about half the size I'd like them to, and can't be adjusted. Now here's a new one. I have one piece of software that now appears...