Windows 10: USB Drive does not show up in Explorer

Discus and support USB Drive does not show up in Explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 using a Pen drive created by me from an ISO file of Windows downloaded. But the drive is not there in the explorer in order to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Dr. Abdul Rasheed. K., May 25, 2021.

1. USB Drive does not show up in Explorer

I installed Windows 10 using a Pen drive created by me from an ISO file of Windows downloaded. But the drive is not there in the explorer in order to eject it safely?

:)

Dr. Abdul Rasheed. K., May 25, 2021
  2. Gino Des Win User

My USB Backup drive does not show in My Computer window.

Hi Meran,

A few possible reason can cause your external drive to not show in File Explorer. To diagnose and fix this issue, we suggest that you check the Disk Management window. To open it, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start button.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Alternatively, you can search diskmgmt.msc in Cortana.

Examine the list of drives in the Disk Management window and look for your external drive. Even if it doesn’t show up in File Explorer, it should appear here. If the drive appears, it may not be appearing in File Explorer because it needs to be assigned
    a drive letter. To do this, right-click the partition on the drive in Disk Management and select
    Change Drive Letter and Paths.

If you don’t see the drive in the Disk Management window at all, we suggest that you try connecting the drive to a different USB port or use a different USB cable. We also recommend that you avoid using USB hubs, and connect the drive directly to your computer.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, May 25, 2021
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, May 25, 2021
  4. USB Drive does not show up in Explorer

USB drive not detected in Windows Explorer when plugged in

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

It’s really strange to see that the D Drive is not showing up in file explorer, even though it’s listed under disk management and you are able to open D drive using the navigation bar.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these methods and check if that fix the issue.

Method 1: Restore File explorer to default.

1. Open File explorer and click on View.
    2. Select on Options and click on Change folder and search options.
    3. Select on View tab and click on Restore Defaults.
    4. Click on OK and re-plug the USB and check.

Method 2: Registry change

1. Press Windows + R key to launch Run command. Type Regedit and click Ok.
    2. Navigate to this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    3. On the right pane look for D drive, right click on it and delete.
    4. Restart the PC and then re-plug the USB to check.

Method 3: New user account

This issue may be due to a profile corruption. Hence, in order to eliminate possibilities, I would suggest you to create a new user account. Follow the steps from the article
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    to create a new user account.

​If issue persists, update chipset and storage drivers from

HP manufacturer website

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, May 25, 2021
Thema:

USB Drive does not show up in Explorer

1. USB Drive does not show up in Explorer - Similar Threads - USB Drive does

2. USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer: I have two computers side by side. I know the flash drives are good because they work on my other computer. When I plug either of them into my main PC, I hear the "ding" that they are being detected, but they won't show up in my file explorer with my other drives. I have...
  3. USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer: I have two computers side by side. I know the flash drives are good because they work on my other computer. When I plug either of them into my main PC, I hear the "ding" that they are being detected, but they won't show up in my file explorer with my other drives. I have...
  4. USB Floppy drive not showing up on file explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Floppy drive not showing up on file explorer: I have had years of frustration with my USB floppy drives not showing up in windows explorer. I had been using the 'fast finger' technique to get it up in the half second or so after it is connected. Tonight I failed at that and out of frustration I typed A: in the search box...
  5. USB Drive not showing up in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Drive not showing up in File Explorer: I got a brand new flash drive and when I plug it into my computer it does not show up in file explorer, however I can see it in Disk Management where it says no media and I can also see it in devices and printers but in devices and printers, it is grayed out under the browse...
  6. usb drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb drive not showing up: I baught a well stared and reviewed cheap usb with 32gb from amazon, and it worked well for a while, eventually it just kept disconnecting and today when I looked i connected it again, it made the connection sounds, but it disappeared from the main list in file explorer, i...
  7. usb drive not showing up in file explorer

usb drive not showing up in file explorer: win 10 updated 2 days ago. I have a 256gb cruzer usb 3.0 drive. When plugged in either directly to cpu frame, or a 3 port usb 3.0 extender port, I hear the win 10 sound that a usb drive has been plugged in but it never shows up in file exploerer. So I can't access the drive....
  8. explorer does not show usb connection

explorer does not show usb connection: My external1tb ssd is connected via usb3.0 and is not recognised in my explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-does-not-show-usb-connection/57926894-d9e6-486c-8333-39eaeaa3ed15
  9. C: drive does not show up in Windows Explorer

C: drive does not show up in Windows Explorer: BIG EDIT: Apparently, my I: drive doesn't show up either... drives C:, D: and I: are partitions of one of an SSD, the other are partitions of another hard disk. I'm now guessing that D: drive is the problem.. I've just installed the Windows 10 17127 Insider Preview from the...
  10. USB hard drive connects, but does not show up in Explorer

USB hard drive connects, but does not show up in Explorer: My external 1gb USB hard drive works on several windows 7/8/10 laptops. It used to work with this particular Windows 10 laptop, but has stopped. Other external USB hard drives still work on this laptop. When plugged in, it shows up as ADplus SuperVer USB Device. It is a 1 Gb...