Windows 10: USB drive has become "read only"

Discus and support USB drive has become "read only" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; USB drive has become "read only". Cannot format, delete, anything. How can I change this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OutworldCats, Nov 29, 2018.

1. USB drive has become "read only"

USB drive has become "read only". Cannot format, delete, anything. How can I change this?

:)

OutworldCats, Nov 29, 2018
  2. zbook Win User

How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Part of the commands and results were missing from the image.

Open adminstrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    (replace # with the disk number for the flash drive)
    attributes disk clear readonly
    exit

If the above steps work then you are set.
    If the above steps fail then view this link for additional troubleshooting steps:
    How to Format Read-only USB Drive Successfully?

zbook, Nov 29, 2018
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Nov 29, 2018
  4. thraxed Win User

USB drive has become "read only"

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

USB drive has become "read only"

1. USB drive has become "read only" - Similar Threads - USB drive has

2. Win10 22H2 Some folders on removeable drive are becoming Read Only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 22H2 Some folders on removeable drive are becoming Read Only: Some folders on my removeable disks are getting set to read only when I start moving files to them. I can't predict which ones. This sets the 'hidden' property to true. When I uncheck the read only box it is checked the next time I open the properties. Those folders appear to...
  3. Win10 22H2 Some folders on removeable drive are becoming Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 22H2 Some folders on removeable drive are becoming Read Only: Some folders on my removeable disks are getting set to read only when I start moving files to them. I can't predict which ones. This sets the 'hidden' property to true. When I uncheck the read only box it is checked the next time I open the properties. Those folders appear to...
  4. Win10 22H2 Some folders on removeable drive are becoming Read Only

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. changing a USB drive that is a read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changing a USB drive that is a read only: changing a USB drive that is a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-usb-drive-that-is-a-read-only/8a92c136-af0d-4610-9681-73e37a5a7660
  6. changing a USB drive that is a read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    changing a USB drive that is a read only: changing a USB drive that is a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-usb-drive-that-is-a-read-only/8a92c136-af0d-4610-9681-73e37a5a7660
  7. Everything has become read only!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Everything has become read only!: Help please, my entire system has become read only. I have a boot SSD, a temp SSD and 4 HDD in a storage spaces pool. Permissions say owner is administrators or me. I tried removing readonly attribute with diskpart and it fails. Can anyone help me please? submitted by...
  8. All drives and all files have become read-only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All drives and all files have become read-only: I noticed this 3 days ago after restarting my PC that I couldn't make any new folders. I then did some looking around and realised my drives (SSD boot drive and HDD secondary) were both read-only. I've tried unticking the read-only box in properties of the folders but they...
  9. USB drive having SSD shows read only

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drive having SSD shows read only: Recently, I connected a new SSD as a USB drive. It shows "Write Protected" in windows 10. However, same one if I connect to Windows 8.1, then the write protection is not there. Can not do driver update under windows 10 as it is write protected. Has anyone faced similar...
  10. Text has become hard to read

in Windows 10 Support
    Text has become hard to read: My computer recently did a disk check because of a perceived problem. Since then my text has become hard to read and nothing I do in the settings options makes any difference! Any ideas? 20906