Windows 10: USB drive having SSD shows read only

Discus and support USB drive having SSD shows read only in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently, I connected a new SSD as a USB drive. It shows "Write Protected" in windows 10. However, same one if I connect to Windows 8.1, then the write... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Wishbone, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Wishbone Win User

USB drive having SSD shows read only

Recently, I connected a new SSD as a USB drive. It shows "Write Protected" in windows 10. However, same one if I connect to Windows 8.1, then the write protection is not there. Can not do driver update under windows 10 as it is write protected. Has anyone faced similar problem? Your assistance will be appreciated.

:)

Wishbone, Feb 5, 2016
  2. JonGrimes Win User

External SATA3 SSD to USB (512GB Crucial MX100 SSD) showing up as a Hard drive in Windows 10 Defragment and optimize drives?

When checking the Windows 10 Control Panel feature Defragment and Optimize your drives, my 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD installed

in a Nexstar (NST-266S3-SV) 2.5" SATA3 to USB 3.0 external HDD/SSD Enclosure shows up as a Hard disc drive (not as a solid state drive)?

I've tried uninstalling it, restarting Windows 10 with no change to the SSD showing up as a Hard disc drive in the Defragment and Optimize your drives feature. I've unplugged the enclosure and plugged it back in to the same as well as different USB ports
    with no change.

The 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD shows up everywhere it should, is easily accessed, runs at 450MB/s Read, 420MB/s Write as an external USB storage device (using numerous SSD Benchmarks), has the latest Crucial firmware and driver, shows up as healthy in SSD Storage
    Tools, etc.? My ASUS G751JY notebooks two internal drives (512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe M.2 OS SSD & 1TB Samsung 850 Pro Storage

SSD) show up correctly in the Windows 10 Control Panel Defragment and Optimize your drives as Solid State drives. The ASUS G751JY

notebook has the latest ASUS AS211 BIOS and all the latest hardware drivers as well as Windows 10 updates?

Any and all suggestions appreciated, I'm stumped. The only good thing is that despite showing up as a Hard disc drive, everything runs & works perfectly using it as an external 512GB storage SSD.

JonGrimes, Feb 5, 2016
  3. Purchased Windows 10 on USB from Microsoft Store

I just received my Windows 10 USB from the Microsoft Store. It is write protected and shows up as "Read Only" instead of "Online" in Disk Management. Not only is the USB write protected, I also can't change the drive letter because the "Change Drive Letter
    and Path" option is grayed out. The normal writable USB flash drive allows me to change the drive letter but not the read only retail Windows 10 USB from Microsoft. Why won't Windows allow me to change the drive letter of the read only USB drive?

KeithWeisshar, Feb 5, 2016
  4. banger Win User

I had this on my c drive SSD, I signed windows out and the disk was no longer write protected. Why it happened in the first place, I don't know.

banger, Feb 5, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB drive having SSD shows read only - Similar Threads - USB drive having

2. Pen Drive files showing read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pen Drive files showing read only: The word and excel files are showing read only when i am using the pen drive in my laptop whereas the same files are in compatible mode in my PC. I have tried DISKPART and registry but all in vain. Kindly help...
  3. Pen Drive files showing read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pen Drive files showing read only: The word and excel files are showing read only when i am using the pen drive in my laptop whereas the same files are in compatible mode in my PC. I have tried DISKPART and registry but all in vain. Kindly help...
  4. changing a USB drive that is a read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changing a USB drive that is a read only: changing a USB drive that is a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-usb-drive-that-is-a-read-only/8a92c136-af0d-4610-9681-73e37a5a7660
  5. changing a USB drive that is a read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    changing a USB drive that is a read only: changing a USB drive that is a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-usb-drive-that-is-a-read-only/8a92c136-af0d-4610-9681-73e37a5a7660
  6. Read only fat32 usb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read only fat32 usb: I have a REALLY old fat32 formatted usb with 8gigs on it that is somehow formatted to read only. how would i go about regaining ownership? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-fat32-usb/f80270e1-b65f-4791-9762-418466d4822e
  7. Read only fat32 usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read only fat32 usb: I have a REALLY old fat32 formatted usb with 8gigs on it that is somehow formatted to read only. how would i go about regaining ownership? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-fat32-usb/f80270e1-b65f-4791-9762-418466d4822e
  8. USB not working (read-only)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB not working (read-only): [ATTACH] Please can someone Enlighten me just WHAT THE HELL am I supposed to do here. how to clear current read-only state!! At first it started giving error during format then I cleared read-only but I did not pay attention to (CURRENT READ-ONLY STATE : YES) then when I...
  9. Removable USB Drive Showing as Read only in Disk Management but not in DiskPart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removable USB Drive Showing as Read only in Disk Management but not in DiskPart: So about a year ago I made this drive into a recovery drive. However, the last time my computer had an issue that would require this drive, it didn't show up as a recovery drive when plugged in. I have decided that I would like to reuse this drive however when I attempted to...
  10. USB drive has become "read only"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drive has become "read only": USB drive has become "read only". Cannot format, delete, anything. How can I change this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-drive-has-become-read-only/803fd445-e7f5-468b-990f-c11c955d38d8