Windows 10: USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today

Discus and support USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been using a Toshiba USB stick to copy data for transfer to a new PC and it was working fine until today. Now it's not visible in File Explorer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FiggisPD, Dec 3, 2022.

1. FiggisPD Win User

USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today

I have been using a Toshiba USB stick to copy data for transfer to a new PC and it was working fine until today. Now it's not visible in File Explorer. Earlier it was visible in Device Manager and I read that if I uninstalled it there and restarted my PC it should then be visible in File Explorer. I restarted but the drive still wasn't visible there nor in Device Manager. I have made it disappear. When I insert it in a port it chimes and also when I remove it from the port. Any idea what I should try next.

:)

FiggisPD, Dec 3, 2022

2. External Drive not visible in file explorer

Hi Josh,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with External Drive.

This issue could be some issues with the USB device controllers.

Please assist me with the following information related to this issue:

• Did you try to connect the USB External DVD drive on a different USB port?
    • Did you try to connect a different USB device to your computer and check if the computer recognizes the device?
    • Did you make and changes to the computer prior to this issue? Please follow the methods mentioned below.

Method 1: Check if you are able to see the USB External DVD drive in Disk Management. If you are able to see the USB External DVD drive in Disk Management, follow the steps to assign the drive letter:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the drive that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    Do one of the following:

• To assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click
      Add
      , click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
    • To change a drive letter, click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the letter that you want to use, and then click
      OK.

Method 2: Install the latest Windows Updates.

This method will install the latest device drivers for your USB external DVD drive.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Click on Windows Update.
    • Click Check for Updates. After the scan is complete, click
      Review optional updates
    • Click the check box next to the updates, then click Install updates. If prompted, review the license agreement, then click
      I Accept.
    Follow the onscreen instructions to download and install the updates. If prompted, reboot your computer.

If your problem still exits, proceed to Method 3.

Method 3: I would suggest you to un-install and reinstall USB controllers and check. This method resolves steps where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupted.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right click a device and click Uninstall.
    • Repeat for each device. Once complete, restart your computer.
    • Your USB controllers will automatically install.
    Perform the troubleshooting and reply with the results, we are happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Dec 3, 2022
  3. nuraman00 Win User
    Making a USB drive visible in Windows Explorer again.

I burned an ISO to a USB drive.

How do I make the USB drive usable now? I tried formatting it with Partition Manager as a FAT 32.

But Windows 10 still can't recognize it in Windows Explorer. I hear the noise when I insert the drive, but it doesn't come up in Explorer.

Windows does detect it if I go to Manage-->Computer-->Disk Management.

But I want to be able to see it in Explorer, so I can use it in the future.

I also tried formatting it as a NTFS.

I tried following these steps, I still can't make it visible in Windows Explorer anymore.

I tried using both Disk Partition, and Partition Manager.

How to Delete a Partition on a USB Drive in Windows 10? - EaseUS

nuraman00, Dec 3, 2022
  4. rau1 Win User

USB Devices Not Visible

Thanks for the reply. Note that USB devices plugged directly to the laptop are visible / work fine. The only issue is with USB devices plugged into the Docking Station. I'll try out your suggestions.

Not sure why you mention a webcam (I didn't mention a webcam). The USB devices in question are USB Hard Drives and USB thumb drives.

Regards

Geoff

rau1, Dec 3, 2022
Thema:

1. USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today - Similar Threads - USB drive visible

2. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.: I have a 2tb USB hard drive which is full of data that I cannot access any more. The device does not show up in file explorer but I can see it in the disk format tool, there is no drive letter assigned to it. Right clicking on the main partition and trying to assign a drive...
  3. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.: I have a 2tb USB hard drive which is full of data that I cannot access any more. The device does not show up in file explorer but I can see it in the disk format tool, there is no drive letter assigned to it. Right clicking on the main partition and trying to assign a drive...
  4. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer: Hello!I have a Toshiba external hard drive that is not detected by my Lenovo Yoga running Windows 11. I believe I need to reformat it because it was previously used on a Mac computer. I've already transferred the contents to my GDrive and the Toshiba is empty. Any...
  6. Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer

Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer: Hello!I have a Toshiba external hard drive that is not detected by my Lenovo Yoga running Windows 11. I believe I need to reformat it because it was previously used on a Mac computer. I've already transferred the contents to my GDrive and the Toshiba is empty. Any...
  7. USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today: I have been using a Toshiba USB stick to copy data for transfer to a new PC and it was working fine until today. Now it's not visible in File Explorer. Earlier it was visible in Device Manager and I read that if I uninstalled it there and restarted my PC it should then be...
  8. USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today

USB drive is not visible in File Explorer or Device Manager today: I have been using a Toshiba USB stick to copy data for transfer to a new PC and it was working fine until today. Now it's not visible in File Explorer. Earlier it was visible in Device Manager and I read that if I uninstalled it there and restarted my PC it should then be...
  9. No visibility in Disk Manager of USB backup drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No visibility in Disk Manager of USB backup drive: I bought a 2.5 inch 1Tb drive to serve as a recovery device. It is connected via a SATA/USB adapter to a USB port on the rear panel of the PC. It is not visible in File Manager, the Disk Managaer aplet, Device Manager, nor is it appearing in the UEFI BIOS. The BIOS settings...
  10. DVD drive missing in Explorer visible in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive missing in Explorer visible in Device Manager: I have a Dell Optiplex 7020 that I just recently purchased. The system is set up for EUFI as boot. I had contacted the seller because in a normal boot sequence, an option to boot from CD or USB did not appear. I had been using the optical drive to install programs that I had...