Windows 10: USB drive is write protected; unable to format

Discus and support USB drive is write protected; unable to format in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I had a USB pendrive with some data in it. I accidently plugged out my pendrive while the files within it were being deleted. Ever since then, my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RoshanVarma96, Mar 7, 2019.

1. USB drive is write protected; unable to format

I had a USB pendrive with some data in it. I accidently plugged out my pendrive while the files within it were being deleted. Ever since then, my pendrive has got write protected. It even stopped showing the storage capacity in the Windows Explorer. I checked the details of the drive using diskpart and came to know that it is RAW file system. I tried formatting the drive using Windows Explorer, Command Prompt and third-party softwares. I even tried modifying the registry values via Registry Editor but nothing came handy. I tried every possible methods but none could solve the problem. Is there any certain way to fix this problem?

P.S. Screenshots below in chronological order.

USB drive is write protected; unable to format 724281e3-a177-4812-8452-2f64c246b1f4?upload=true.jpg

USB drive is write protected; unable to format 6d13396e-1d3d-4a90-b3ad-4046339b7e7f?upload=true.jpg

USB drive is write protected; unable to format be85ae19-c119-40d6-bf06-ef9f420c7724?upload=true.jpg

USB drive is write protected; unable to format 211cf841-e3ad-4a69-b7a7-f071d048a694?upload=true.jpg

USB drive is write protected; unable to format d9cc428a-64d4-4cc2-bb28-3a8abad4fd6e?upload=true.jpg

USB drive is write protected; unable to format cba92c96-1db5-465a-97a0-f505d549021c?upload=true.jpg

:)

RoshanVarma96, Mar 7, 2019
  2. freebird_9924, Mar 7, 2019
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Mar 7, 2019
  4. Sher Amo Win User

USB drive is write protected; unable to format

USB devices getting write protected

Hi Imdad,

Some removable storage devices like USB flash drives or pen drive have write protection which is designed to help users prevent unexpected data loss by refusing to delete or format.

However, if you’re stuck with a write-protected USB drive that can’t be formatted. We recommend that you follow these steps on how to erase and format a write-protected USB flash drive and pen drive using the Regedit.exe tool in Windows. To do this,
    follow the steps below:

• In the Search box, type regedit and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following folder:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

Double-click on the WriteProtect value in the right-hand pane of Regedit.exe. Change the Value data from 1 to 0 and click OK to save the change. Close Regedit and restart your computer. Connect your USB flash drive or pen drive again, and you should find the
    write protection is removed and the device is no longer write protected.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
    back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

USB drive is write protected; unable to format

1. USB drive is write protected; unable to format - Similar Threads - USB drive write

2. ssd m.2 unable to format due to drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ssd m.2 unable to format due to drive is write protected: ssd is samsung 970 evoplus 1tbive done setting the registry editor to 0also cannot format the disk on disk management because it is greyed out.when i tried diskpart it shows like this..DISKPART> attributes diskCurrent Read-only State: YesRead-only: NoBoot Disk: NoPagefile...
  3. How to Format Write Protected USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Format Write Protected USB: How to Format Write Protected USB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-write-protected-usb/b9a2e8f6-aa52-40df-858b-1fecf8cc7954
  4. How to Format Write Protected USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Format Write Protected USB: How to Format Write Protected USB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-write-protected-usb/b9a2e8f6-aa52-40df-858b-1fecf8cc7954
  5. How to Format Write Protected USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Write Protect USB Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Write Protect USB Drive: I need to make some data easily transferable and *tinker proof*. I have a set of 20 GB mostly PDF other Documents. Therefore I would like to put this data on a USB stick and afterward block anyone from editing selected parts. What can I do and how? submitted by...
  7. USB Flash drive not able to format, Windows showing as write-protected.

USB Flash drive not able to format, Windows showing as write-protected.: Hi there, I am having this issue with my flash drive, Windows is not able to format it, it shows as write protected. The USB is in RAW Format and the model is "HP USB 3.1 x765w", no one is willing @ HP Community to help, so I thought I could get help here, here are some...
  8. USB Drive is Write Protected. I am unable to remove its Write Protection. Every drive...

USB Drive is Write Protected. I am unable to remove its Write Protection. Every drive...: Hello all, I recently plugged my USB on my laptop and tried transferring data. It showed me that its Write Protected. I tried ways to remove the protection. Things I have tried and failed are as follows: 1. USB Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing > Permissions >...
  9. Can't format Write-Protected USB

Can't format Write-Protected USB: I attempted to download a recovery image for my PC so I could reset it. I attempted to reset it from settings, and it said I needed a recovery media. So I downloaded the recovery media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Then I tried again, and...
  10. Flash Drive - Write Protected - Format

Flash Drive - Write Protected - Format: I have (3) Microsoft brand 32 GB thumb drives that have Win 8.1 and preload software for my HP laptop, I have no use for them, and I'm certainly not ever going to put Win 8.1 back on my laptop, I spend most of time on my Surface and desktop PC, laptop is a backup device that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb drve unable to format showin write protected