Windows 10: USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent

Discus and support USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a removable USB HDD that I use for second-level backups. I plug it in to my system only for this purpose. Almost every time I plug it in, I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by x509, Mar 16, 2018.

1. x509 Win User

USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent

I have a removable USB HDD that I use for second-level backups. I plug it in to my system only for this purpose. Almost every time I plug it in, I have to use Administrative Tools to re-assign a drive letter. Is there anything else I should be doing so that Windows keeps that drive letter persistent?

:)

2. Windows 10 bug - USB Drive vs NAS drive mapping conflict

Hello Hector,

NAS Drivers were assigned drive letters using the Command prompt with the /persistent:YES flag.

Internal SDD/HDD/CD/DVD were assigned drive letters using diskmgmt.msc.

My question is not, how to assign drive letters, but, why Windows 10, assigns a currently assigned drive letter (although not connected) to a USB drive, which then can't be seen ?

e.g. H: is assigned to \\HOME\MyUserId

the HOME NAS server isn't online, so the H: drive icon is shown with a Red x, indicating that it's unable to connect to that drive.

I now plug in a USB Drive. The drive is automatically given the drive letter H:, but because H: is already mapped to a NAS drive, the USB Drive isn't displayed until I delete the NAS drive mapping.

Why can't Windows 10, select the next available free drive letter ?

Are there any registry settings involved with the assignment of drive letters to external USB drives ?

EnglishmanInJapan, Mar 16, 2018
  3. Swapping out the USB drive to use File History.

well if you have an extra USB port available, Just leave it in and plug in new one and format quick NTFS and assign new drive letter if not already assigned and restart pc.

If you do not have extra USB port, I would unplug it, restart PC, plug in new one, format it to quick NTFS and assign new drive letter, other than the previous USB drive letter if not already assigned, although it may just assign the same Letter, and restart
    pc and you are good to go.

seahawks65, Mar 16, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

If you assign or change the drive letter and paths in Disk Management with the USB drive mounted, it should persist from mount to mount. Most experts recommend that you pick a "higher letter" M through V for that assignment (and don't pick the same letter for multiple drives to avoid collisions).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

See this HowToGeek Article for more details on what to do and how to make this happen: How to Assign a Persistent Drive Letter to a USB Drive in Windows

EdTittel, Mar 16, 2018
Thema:

1. USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent - Similar Threads - USB Drive Letter

2. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  3. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  4. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  6. stop win assigning usb drive letter

stop win assigning usb drive letter: How do I stop windows from assigning drive letters to unused USB ports? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-win-assigning-usb-drive-letter/442d12f1-8165-4317-88ec-301d7d12c2fb
  7. Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?

Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?: I have these scripts that I use with some specific external drives, let's say I: and J:. the scripts require that the external drive always have the same letter. The issue is that if another USB drive was plugged in first, and Windows assigned either I: or J: to this other...
  8. Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?: I have these scripts that I use with some specific external drives, let's say I: and J:. the scripts require that the external drive always have the same letter. The issue is that if another USB drive was plugged in first, and Windows assigned either I: or J: to this other...
  9. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  10. Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives

Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives: Hi, I run a backup script to different USB drives at different times. The backup script always needs to see the same drive letter for the USB drive (whichever USB drive is being used). I know you can run compmgmt.msc, select Disk Management and then click 'Change...