Windows 10: USB Drive No Longer Recognized?

Discus and support USB Drive No Longer Recognized? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey everyone! So, I've been running into a weird situation and I was hoping to run into some clarification on what I could do to fix the problem.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tesagk, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Tesagk Win User

USB Drive No Longer Recognized?

Hey everyone!

So, I've been running into a weird situation and I was hoping to run into some clarification on what I could do to fix the problem.

I got a 128GB Flash Drive which I proceeded to install a portable, bootable Fedora install on. Of course, naturally, since Fedora is light weight, I had all sorts of other room left over. However, when I plug the USB drive back into the main Desktop, it no longer asks me what I want to do with the USB drive, even with AutoPlay stuff disabled. It's as if the USB Drive doesn't exist.

However, I checked quickly on one of my laptops that has never seen the drive and the AutoPlay on that device immediately popped in. When I selected "view files and folders", voila, I could see the Flash Drive with a folder for the Fedora install and plenty of other open space.

How can I force my computer to see this Flash Drive all over again?

Edit:
    p.s. Funnily enough, it's doing the same thing with the storage on my fiance's iPhone. Which is fantastic... since I can't see her phone anymore when I plug it in (even iTunes doesn't see it).

:)

Tesagk, Jan 6, 2016

2. Encrpyted USB drive no longer working after windows 10 update

Hi Alden,

Thanks for your reply, running the DISM in command prompt has fixed the error and the USB stick is now opening up.

Thanks for your help.

James

JamesEfford, Jan 6, 2016
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    Encrpyted USB drive no longer working after windows 10 update

We're glad that the solution worked for you. If you have any other concerns don't hesitate to reach out.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Jan 6, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hi Tesagk,

I have had this problem a few times and USB drives are apparently ignored when reattached to the port. I usually find a restart of the PC with the device disconnected sorts out the port settings and when the device is reconnected it is recognised OK.

philc43, Jan 6, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

sometimes it's easy

Use the OLD control panel (right mouse click on menu).

Go to Administrative tools --->computer management-->Disk management.

You'll probably see that your USB device hasn't been assigned a Disk letter -- simply assign it one (change drive letter) and Windows will see it.

Usually no need to re-boot etc.

Problem caused by "Disk signature" - especially if the HDD / flash drive is switched frequently between different machines.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 6, 2016
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Or simply right click the start menu button and select "Disk Management" from the menu.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jan 6, 2016
  7. Tesagk Win User
    So, I had looked in disk management previously because I had the same thought. However, I get the following:

"Disk 0" This is my OS drive, which is a 240-ish GB SSD. 215 GB dedicated to C:, 450 MB Healthy Recovery; 8 GB Healthy Hibernation Partitition

"Disk 1" This is my "storage" drive, which is 2 TB. This is not partitioned.

Even when I hit refresh, nothing shows up.

Going to try restarting. =)

Thanks for the help, both of you. Hopefully I'll manage to figure this out with the help.

Tesagk, Jan 6, 2016
  8. Tesagk Win User

That's how I did it, ha. =P

Tesagk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. USB Drive No Longer Recognized? - Similar Threads - USB Drive Longer

2. USB drives no longer recognized by Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB drives no longer recognized by Win 11: Hi all - It seems that somewhen in the last week or so my primary desktop has chosen to no longer recognize USB storage devices. Any of them. They all work just dandy on my Win10 laptop, but my Win11 desktop has just spontaneously decided that it doesn't like USB drives....
  3. USB drives no longer recognized by Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drives no longer recognized by Win 11: Hi all - It seems that somewhen in the last week or so my primary desktop has chosen to no longer recognize USB storage devices. Any of them. They all work just dandy on my Win10 laptop, but my Win11 desktop has just spontaneously decided that it doesn't like USB drives....
  4. usb drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb drive not recognized: Microsoft updated my win10 then shut down my computer. I have just loaded their crippling mode s and am trying to download Linux from usb but computer down not seem to recognize there is a usb drive plugged in....
  5. Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.: Computer froze and i had to do a "hard reboot" and now won't load. Can get to DOS prompt when couldn't do system repair or restore and now system cannot find either hard drive....
  6. USB Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Drive Not Recognized: Hi, I have a USB drive that is not showing up in file explorer. Just yesterday it was working fine, but when I plugged it into my computer today, it is not showing up. I've tried updating and reinstalling the drivers from device manager and restarting my computer, but that...
  7. computer not recognizing usb drive

computer not recognizing usb drive: my computer stopped recognizing my usb drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-not-recognizing-usb-drive/087d0d1a-104a-4f04-81e1-ca3c40e89ca5
  8. External Drive No Longer Being Recognized

External Drive No Longer Being Recognized: I have been using an external drive with my computer for a while now, but lately my computer has been having difficulty recognizing that it is plugged in. I know for a fact that power is being given to the external drive because it lights up and I can feel it running....
  9. No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive

No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive: Since receiving the Win 10 Home upgrade my computer no longer recognizes the DVD drive. It doesn't show in Device Manger or in the device list in This PC although it does spin up if you insert media into it. I've tried all the suggested remedies except messing with the...
  10. USB drives not recognized

USB drives not recognized: After recent update USB drives are not recognized; tried 3 separate ones. There is a sound when plugged in / taken out. The drives work OK on other computers. USB keyboard and hub work. Connected to hub printer, scanner and cordless mouse work. Device manager shows no faults...