Windows 10: USB Drive Not Recognized

Discus and support USB Drive Not Recognized in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a USB drive that is not showing up in file explorer. Just yesterday it was working fine, but when I plugged it into my computer today, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NiallRD, Apr 17, 2020.

1. NiallRD Win User

USB Drive Not Recognized

Hi,

I have a USB drive that is not showing up in file explorer. Just yesterday it was working fine, but when I plugged it into my computer today, it is not showing up. I've tried updating and reinstalling the drivers from device manager and restarting my computer, but that hasn't helped. It is still being recognized because the computer makes a sound when I plug it in. It's also showing up in devices and printers, and in disk management, but without a drive letter assigned to it I've tried changing the letter but it says my disk management view is out of date - normally it shows up as my E: drive. I've also tried plugging it in to another windows computer and the same problem occurred.

If someone could advise on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

NiallRD, Apr 17, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

computer not recognizing usb drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to use USB drive on your computer. I’ll certainly assist you with this.

However, please let us know:

• Do you receive any error when connecting a USB drive?
    • Does this issue occur only with one particular USB or with all the USB drives?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to this issue?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Error: “USB Device not recognized”
    except for Method 1 and 2.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 17, 2020
  3. USB device not recognized spam

Hi Kyle,

You may receive this error if one of your USB connected devices is not properly recognized by the system. Let's try the troubleshooting steps provided by
    Krishna Prasobh V on this
    thread

In addition, we suggest that you turn off the notifications from the USB by following these steps:

• Open Settings by typing "settings" in Cortana's search box.
    • Click on Devices.
    • Locate USB and toggle the switch to Off.
    Keep us updated with the status of your concern and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Katrina Men, Apr 17, 2020
  4. USB Drive Not Recognized

Recovery Drive for Windows 10 Doesn't Recognize USB Drive

When I try to create a Recovery Drive in Windows 10, Windows doesn't recognize the flash drive.

I'm following the instructions to create a Recovery Drive listed here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice. (I was asked to confirm my choice, and I clicked "Yes".)

• When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select
      Next.

• (Secret Step) Wait a minute or so for the "Please Wait" screen to finish thinking

• Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it ...
    The issue is that when I connect a USB drive to the PC, it doesn't appear on the "Connect a USB flash drive" screen as a drive that can be selected, and the "Next" button is grayed out.

However, when I look in File Explorer, I can see the USB drive plugged into the computer. Selecting Properties shows that Windows considers its Type to be "Removable Disk". (Sounds right to me.)

I'm not getting any error messages.

My environment:

A brand new Toshiba Sattelite C55-C5241 laptop with Windows 10 Home. It's never had anything other than Windows 10 on it - unless they upgraded it at the factory.

A brand new ativa 8GB USB flash drive. Note that the packaging for the USB drive does not include Windows 10 in the System Requirements, but seriously?

What I've tried:

• Plugging the flash drive into all three USB ports (USB 2, USB 2, and USB 3)
    • Reformatting the flash drive with FAT32
    • Restarting the computer with the flash drive plugged in
    • Turning off Real-Time Scanning in McAffee

I've seen a few threads with this issue in Windows 8, but none of the potential solutions in those threads have worked for me. So here I am asking the same question, but for Windows 10.

Does anyone have any suggestions for resolving this issue?

Thank you.

Ambisinister, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

USB Drive Not Recognized

1. USB Drive Not Recognized - Similar Threads - USB Drive Recognized

2. usb drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb drive not recognized: Microsoft updated my win10 then shut down my computer. I have just loaded their crippling mode s and am trying to download Linux from usb but computer down not seem to recognize there is a usb drive plugged in....
  3. computer not recognizing usb drive

computer not recognizing usb drive: my computer stopped recognizing my usb drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-not-recognizing-usb-drive/087d0d1a-104a-4f04-81e1-ca3c40e89ca5
  4. Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized: I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message about running out of space on the drive. I formatted the drive and that appeared to be successful, then tried to use it...
  5. Old USB hard drive not recognized

Old USB hard drive not recognized: Hello, I have an old USB hard drive that is not recognized after using Windows 10. It says Unknown USB Device (Invalid Configuration Descriptor). I have tried updating the driver automatically but it says that it is already the most updated driver (driver provider...
  6. USB not recognizing external hard drive

USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...
  7. Windows doesn't recognize USB Drive

Windows doesn't recognize USB Drive: I can't access my USB Drive on Windows 10 Education. When I want to delete data/file from USB Drive then they display on the screen "Access Denied" written over there and also same problem occurs for the data/file copy/paste. Even while formatting the USB Drive then they...
  8. Seagate USB drive not always recognized

Seagate USB drive not always recognized: I have two USB Seagate drives I use to hold my backups. When I plug one of them in (to a USB port on the computer), it/they are not always recognized. I have to plug and unplug the power and communications cords more than once before the drive is recognized. I have tried all...
  9. USB drives not recognized

USB drives not recognized: After recent update USB drives are not recognized; tried 3 separate ones. There is a sound when plugged in / taken out. The drives work OK on other computers. USB keyboard and hub work. Connected to hub printer, scanner and cordless mouse work. Device manager shows no faults...
  10. USB Drive No Longer Recognized?

in Windows 10 Support
    USB Drive No Longer Recognized?: Hey everyone! So, I've been running into a weird situation and I was hoping to run into some clarification on what I could do to fix the problem. I got a 128GB Flash Drive which I proceeded to install a portable, bootable Fedora install on. Of course, naturally, since...