Windows 10: USB drive not showing in devices and drives

Discus and support USB drive not showing in devices and drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I have two computers which do the same thing which is odd in itself. When I insert a USB drive the drive flashes up momentarily in devices and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ChrisPointer, Aug 16, 2020.

1. USB drive not showing in devices and drives

Hi all, I have two computers which do the same thing which is odd in itself. When I insert a USB drive the drive flashes up momentarily in devices and drives then disappears. It shows in device manager and also in disk management but not when I open This PC. It also does not show as an option for send to when I right-click a folder. Only just started happening so I am bit bemused

:)

ChrisPointer, Aug 16, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Aug 16, 2020
  3. What has happened to the additional drives that appeared in the Windows Explorer for external USB devices

Hi Alan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

For better understanding please answer the below questions:

• Does the USB drive shows in the Device Manager?
    • Is the computer detecting the connected USB devices?
    • Have you checked the USB drives on the different computers?
    I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if that helps:

Method 1:

Check if you are able to see the USB External DVD drive in Disk Management. If you are able to see the USB External DVD drive in Disk Management, follow the steps to assign the drive letter:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the drive that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    Do one of the following:

• To assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click
      Add
      , click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
    • To change a drive letter, click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the letter that you want to use, and then click
      OK.
    Method 2: I would suggest you to un-install and reinstall USB controllers and check. This method resolves steps where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupted.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right click a device and click Uninstall.
    • Repeat for each device. Once complete, restart your computer.
    • Your USB controllers will automatically install.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Aug 16, 2020
  4. Gino Des Win User

USB drive not showing in devices and drives

My USB Backup drive does not show in My Computer window.

Hi Meran,

A few possible reason can cause your external drive to not show in File Explorer. To diagnose and fix this issue, we suggest that you check the Disk Management window. To open it, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start button.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Alternatively, you can search diskmgmt.msc in Cortana.

Examine the list of drives in the Disk Management window and look for your external drive. Even if it doesn’t show up in File Explorer, it should appear here. If the drive appears, it may not be appearing in File Explorer because it needs to be assigned
    a drive letter. To do this, right-click the partition on the drive in Disk Management and select
    Change Drive Letter and Paths.

If you don’t see the drive in the Disk Management window at all, we suggest that you try connecting the drive to a different USB port or use a different USB cable. We also recommend that you avoid using USB hubs, and connect the drive directly to your computer.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Aug 16, 2020
Thema:

USB drive not showing in devices and drives

1. USB drive not showing in devices and drives - Similar Threads - USB drive showing

2. USB Drive not showing files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Drive not showing files: I bought a USB Drive and I moved some files into it. When I try checking the files, the flash is always empty but it still records that some memory is in use. I've formatted several times and I still can keep a file in it....
  3. usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management: when i plug in my flash drive it doesn't show in the finder. when i attempt to resolve the issue which requires me to find the drive with device manager/ disc management the drive isn't shown in either. the port is working because i can see other flash drives i plug into it....
  4. usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management: when i plug in my flash drive it doesn't show in the finder. when i attempt to resolve the issue which requires me to find the drive with device manager/ disc management the drive isn't shown in either. the port is working because i can see other flash drives i plug into it....
  5. usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. USB drive not showing

USB drive not showing: So my issue is, that I have a USB drive that I am trying to access with my BIOS, it was showing up yesterday but today I've had no luck for some reason. I used rufus to reformat it into FAT32 and FreeDos. I really didn't know where to take this issue until I look at the...
  7. A usb drive is not showing

A usb drive is not showing: A USB drive is not showing, though all other USB devices are showing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-usb-drive-is-not-showing/3475f09b-9499-4e04-ae88-89558b7b4769
  8. All USB devices showing up as drives

All USB devices showing up as drives: All of my USB devices (keyboard, mouse, webcam, printer, Bluetooth dongle) show up as drives ("no media") in Disk Management, and as disk drives in Device Manager. It's not a fatal problem, but it's annoying. Is there a way to correct this? Windows 10, Version 2004 (OS...
  9. All USB devices show up as drives

All USB devices show up as drives: All of my USB devices keyboard, mouse, webcam, printer, Bluetooth dongle show up as drives "no media" in Disk Management, and as disk drives in Device Manager. It's not a fatal problem, but it's annoying. Is there a way to correct this?...
  10. File Explorer Won't Show USB Devices and Drives

File Explorer Won't Show USB Devices and Drives: So, I have an issue with USB's and Drives. When I go to plug it in it makes the sound that it was connected but nothing shows in File Explorer, but it shows in Device Manager and it can't be accessed there. The USB ports aren't faulty as my Keyboard and Mouse connect just...