Windows 10: USB drive now shown as Basic hard disk

Discus and support USB drive now shown as Basic hard disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I used WinToFlash to create a multiboot USB drive and in so doing it converted the Removable USB drive to Basic Local hard drive. Is there anyway to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tracit99, May 2, 2017.

1. tracit99 Win User

USB drive now shown as Basic hard disk

I used WinToFlash to create a multiboot USB drive and in so doing it converted the Removable USB drive to Basic Local hard drive. Is there anyway to change it back to Removable USB drive? I cannot find how to do this in WinToFlash.

:)

tracit99, May 2, 2017

2. My Hard Drive With Windows 10 died. How can/should I reinstall it?

if the desired disk is now shown when booting from a USB or DVD it could be due to a drive failure.

if the disk has an existing installion of windows 10 however the USB or DVD boot will usually jump into the hard disk an load windows

Hardcore Games™, May 2, 2017
  3. awaisniaz Win User
    the free space amount not showing for my external hard disks after the fall update in my pc folder

the my PC folder used to show numeric amount of free space left on my seagate external hard disks before the fall update just like the drives of my internal hard disk, but after the fall update is installed, the numeric amount of free space is shown
    only for drives on my internal hard disk but not for my external hard disks , for which i have to now rightclick the disk drive and click on properties to know about the free space left on the external hard disks

awaisniaz, May 2, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Just to be certain, are you sure it was originally a removable drive because San Disk manufactured several USB drives as Local Disks in error. Here is one of them:

USB drive now shown as Basic hard disk [​IMG]

So, what is the make/model number of the drive in question?

5. tracit99 Win User
    @WOT
    The USB drive is a SanDisk Cruzer Glide SDCZ60-008G. It was a part of a three pack and all showed up as Removable until yesterday.
    After the WinToFlash program ran this one now shows up as Basic Local Hard Disk. I just want it back the way it was. Thanks for your reply.

tracit99, May 2, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Ok, I just wanted to make sure you weren't a victim of the San Disk manufacturing error (like I was). Unfortunately, I cannot provide a proven way to switch that local/removable bit back to removable and I am surprised that WintoFlash actually did it but here is another report of the same issue:

WinToFlash [The Bootable USB Creator] - View topic - problem flash drive changed to local drive

Sorry, I couldn't help but I would recommend using Rufus hence forth:

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Good luck,

7. simrick Win User
    +1 on RUFUS for the future.

You might try MiniTool Partition Manager (free), delete the partition on the flash drive, then re-format to FAT32. If you have the other flash drives, try copying the original software over to it.

Honestly I've never had this happen, and it's just a WAG....*Wink

simrick, May 2, 2017
  8. simrick Win User

Also, might check here and make sure it's set for quick removal (no write-caching)

simrick, May 2, 2017
  9. tracit99 Win User
    @simrick,
    Thanks for the replies and the suggestions. After spending the day searching the internet, I cannot find any way to return this USB flash drive to a Removable type. I will just chalk this one up to collateral damage and move on.

tracit99, May 3, 2017
  10. jumanji Win User
    jumanji, May 3, 2017
  11. tracit99 Win User
    @jumanji
    Yes I ran across this in my search and it did not fix the Flash drive showing up as a local fixed disk. Thanks for the suggestion though.

tracit99, May 3, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    I assume you are running CU version which now recognises more than one partition on a flash drive. Use diskpart command to clean drive and it should go back to removeable drive.

cereberus, May 3, 2017
  13. tracit99 Win User

@cereberus
    I actually created four partitions on the Flash drive from within CU and it still remains a local fixed hard disk. Thanks for your suggestion.

As a side note for everyone, this Flash drive also shows as local fixed hard disk on a another computer.

tracit99, May 3, 2017
  14. simrick Win User
    So strange...
    I just had an SD card go bad on me yesterday. It did not show as a fixed drive, (and I could transfer most of the data off it), but it was permanently set at read only, and would not be reset - I/O errors all over it, so I cut it in half and threw it out. *Sad

simrick, May 3, 2017
  15. tracit99 Win User
    Yes this is really strange. Furthermore we can put this discussion to an end, since I returned the SanDisk Curzer Glide flash drive this morning to SanDisk for replacement via RMA.

Lastly, I would like to state that after extensive searching of the internet yesterday I believe that it is highly unlikely that this issue was caused by the WinToFlash software. All I can say is that it was just a coincidence that this issue occurred after using the software and even that is nothing more than speculation. I guess I will never know what really happened.

Now I am off to restore a Macrium Reflect image that I made three days ago. My system feels grody after all the stuff I installed and tried yesterday to fix this flash drive.

tracit99, May 3, 2017
Thema:

1. USB drive now shown as Basic hard disk - Similar Threads - USB drive shown

2. Flashdisk shown as floppy disk drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flashdisk shown as floppy disk drive: I use defraggler and after sometime it's not responding I close the app and then try to use it again but I noticed that the flashdisk media type became floppy disk drive. How do I fix it?...
  3. Flashdisk shown as floppy disk drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flashdisk shown as floppy disk drive: I use defraggler and after sometime it's not responding I close the app and then try to use it again but I noticed that the flashdisk media type became floppy disk drive. How do I fix it?...
  4. External hard disk is not shown in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard disk is not shown in File Explorer: I recently exchanged my laptop with a new hp pavillion laptop. So that I am using the hard disk from old laptop as an external storage. I didn't cleared any of the datas and also the windows installation files were also there. The hard disk was working fine for 2-3 times of...
  5. External hard disk is not shown in File Explorer

External hard disk is not shown in File Explorer: I recently exchanged my laptop with a new hp pavillion laptop. So that I am using the hard disk from old laptop as an external storage. I didn't cleared any of the datas and also the windows installation files were also there. The hard disk was working fine for 2-3 times of...
  6. Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Disk Drive: Hello,I just purchased a new HP computer and I have downloaded three programs and now my C drive says there is only 183GB of 237GB free and my entire hard disk drive which has 931 GB available has nothing in it. I don't know how to use the drive and have my programs...
  7. Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Disk Drive: Hello,I just purchased a new HP computer and I have downloaded three programs and now my C drive says there is only 183GB of 237GB free and my entire hard disk drive which has 931 GB available has nothing in it. I don't know how to use the drive and have my programs...
  8. Hard Disk Drive

9. hard disk drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard disk drive: my drive is displaying a bad block error and wont open plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-drive/f50b0966-36ba-4d86-84b3-867a6ced81ad
  10. External hard drive shown as Primary Partition in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Support
    External hard drive shown as Primary Partition in Disk Management: Just clean install my laptop. After windows successfully installed, as usual i connect to internet, format and give name to D drive in Disk Management. After couple of minutes i plug my external hard drive to copy paste my backup to laptop and everything done, i try to eject...