Windows 10: USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.

Discus and support USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Very frustrating. My portable hard drive won't safely remove but other thumb drives do remove safely. Tried all sorts of tips, non work so far. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by reesehead, Oct 7, 2018.

1. reesehead Win User

USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.

Very frustrating. My portable hard drive won't safely remove but other thumb drives do remove safely.
    Tried all sorts of tips, non work so far. The drives that can't be removed show up and can be used but the activity light on the drive just constantly pulsates in a rhythm, not like it's reading or writing.
    switching to another usb port the problem remains.
    I don't have the problem with the same drives on my other pc.
    I have reinstalled usb bus controllers, didn't work either. Downloaded latest chipset.
    Anyone got any ideas please.

regards
    Puzzled.

:)

reesehead, Oct 7, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Oct 7, 2018
  3. Safe removal of usb drive

Windows 10 has done away with the concept of safe removal like earlier versions of Windows. You need not follow any particular process unlike earlier.

Simply detach your USB drive. Forget about any steps to be followed.

Vijay_Verma, Oct 7, 2018
  4. USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.

Safe removal of usb drive

How do you safely remove usb drive from computer on Window 10?

PatLudemann, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.

1. USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do. - Similar Threads - USB drive won't

2. Removing flash drive safely

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing flash drive safely: I need to safely eject my flash drive but once again I am getting the "device is currently in use" message even though I am not using it for anything. This seems to happen with all my flash drives occasionally. Usually I just would sign out not even restarting my pc, but...
  3. Removing flash drive safely

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removing flash drive safely: I need to safely eject my flash drive but once again I am getting the "device is currently in use" message even though I am not using it for anything. This seems to happen with all my flash drives occasionally. Usually I just would sign out not even restarting my pc, but...
  4. "Safe to remove hardware" notification for USB drive missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Safe to remove hardware" notification for USB drive missing: The "Safe to remove hardware" notification for USB drive is now missing. This will corrupt the drive if it does not come back. How do I get it come back?...
  5. USB drive removal

USB drive removal: When I try to remove the USB drive, it shows, "open printers and devices". It will not show "you can remove usb drive safely". I don't have any programs open that are using it, though I am not totally sure about that. I ventured to shut-down computer to reboot. Still the...
  6. USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.

in Windows 10 Support
    USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.: Very frustrating. My portable hard drive won't safely remove but other thumb drives do remove safely. Tried all sorts of tips, non work so far. The drives that can't be removed show up and can be used but the activity light on the drive just constantly pulsates in a rhythm,...
  7. Safe removal of usb drive

Safe removal of usb drive: How do you safely remove usb drive from computer on Window 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/safe-removal-of-usb-drive/8e1ea4eb-bfe9-4e58-866a-292b3c94ac03
  8. "Safe " removing internal drives ?!

"Safe " removing internal drives ?!: Why are my internal HDDs and SSD shown in the "safe remove "-icon ( placed in taskbar) ?? How can we get rid of this absurd notification of showing internal HDDs for removing...............!! 114602
  9. safe removal drive

safe removal drive: When I have inserted a SD memory card, I have the possibility for "ejecting" the card after which it can be safely removed. I donot understand why this possibility does not exist with an USB HDD. I thought that just removing such drive gives the chance of damaging it. 62174
  10. USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and: ....no drives listed in Hardware List. When I plug USB drives in, the Safely Remove Hardware icon does not appear in in system tray (its not hidden either) First, I went to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Select which Icons Appear on the Taskbar... [img]...