Windows 10: USB drive

Discus and support USB drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I print the directory of a USB drive? I want to know what is on the USB drive just by glancing at it. Alternatively, I guess I could number the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AshaMX, Jan 11, 2019.

1. AshaMX Win User

USB drive

How do I print the directory of a USB drive? I want to know what is on the USB drive just by glancing at it. Alternatively, I guess I could number the drives and then transfer the directory to my hard drive.

Thanks.

:)

AshaMX, Jan 11, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 11, 2019
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jan 11, 2019
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

USB drive

USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

USB drive nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

USB drive

1. USB drive - Similar Threads - USB drive

2. Brand new hard drive, unable to boot off of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Brand new hard drive, unable to boot off of USB drive.: Built a new computer with a WD SSD and tried to install/boot windows. I am now stuck in the boot cycle. I am using a brand new Windows boot USB purchased from Best Buy yesterday afternoon. The below error message is what I keep getting no matter what options I choose and the...
  3. USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives: I am getting weird problem where random popup windows about "The directory name is invalid" for many of the drives from my external USB card reader These drives error messages are related to my external USB card reader which does not currently have anything mounted. [img]...
  4. USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives

in Windows 10 Support
    USB/card reader showing "The directory name is invalid" for drives: I am getting weird problem where random popup windows about "The directory name is invalid" for many of the drives from my external USB card reader These drives error messages are related to my USB card reader which does not currently have anything mounted. [img] [img]...
  5. I am having great difficulty installing an External USB 3.0, 5 Terabyte Hard Disk Drive?!...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am having great difficulty installing an External USB 3.0, 5 Terabyte Hard Disk Drive?!...: I am having great difficulty installing External USB 3.0, 5 TB HDD?! Continually receive this error report: "Event 100 Client Licensing?! ****? Can anyone shed any light on this for me...Please?!...
  6. how can I protect files being placed on a usb drive from being copied but still allow files...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can I protect files being placed on a usb drive from being copied but still allow files...: I am trying to protect files placed on a usb flash drive from being copied but still allow the files to be accessed and used by anyone. Can anyone help? Files formats .pdf and mp4....
  7. Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive

Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive: Windows 10 custom built system - I have two USB flash drives - a Samsung USB 2.0 and a Sandisk USB 3.0 I have 4 USB ports at the top of the computer tower (Two are USB 3.0 [#1 and #2] and Two are USB 2.0 [#3 and #4]) The Samsung drive is recognized on USB #1,2,3, and 4 -...
  8. Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive: Windows 10 custom built system - I have two USB flash drives - a Samsung USB 2.0 and a Sandisk USB 3.0 I have 4 USB ports at the top of the computer tower (Two are USB 3.0 [#1 and #2] and Two are USB 2.0 [#3 and #4]) The Samsung drive is recognized on USB #1,2,3, and 4 -...
  9. Unable to see SOME usb drives

Unable to see SOME usb drives: I have just set up a new HP Envy laptop. I am left with a strange problem about which I am very mystified. I have at least 6 portable drives including a thumbdrive, a WD portable, 3 satas in caddies and 1 ssd in a caddy. All of these are seen immediately on my old desktop....
  10. USB Hard Drives Constantly Disconnect + Even Viewer Warning

USB Hard Drives Constantly Disconnect + Even Viewer Warning: Any USB hard drive or storage device that I plug into my desktop PC randomly gets the 'USB unplugged noise' then freezes Windows explorer. On top of that, I get a Warning for the disk in my event viewer. It varies which external hard drive it happens to. This doesn't happen...