Windows 10: usb drives and public computers

Discus and support usb drives and public computers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I work in a public library, and at the public computer stations, patrons often leave their personal usb drives in the computer at log off. Is there a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wanderwoman2020, Nov 8, 2019.

1. usb drives and public computers

I work in a public library, and at the public computer stations, patrons often leave their personal usb drives in the computer at log off. Is there a tool for installing an alarm or alert when the patron logs off to remind them to take their usb?

:)

wanderwoman2020, Nov 8, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Nov 8, 2019
  3. Gino Des Win User
    My USB Backup drive does not show in My Computer window.

Hi Meran,

A few possible reason can cause your external drive to not show in File Explorer. To diagnose and fix this issue, we suggest that you check the Disk Management window. To open it, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start button.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Alternatively, you can search diskmgmt.msc in Cortana.

Examine the list of drives in the Disk Management window and look for your external drive. Even if it doesn’t show up in File Explorer, it should appear here. If the drive appears, it may not be appearing in File Explorer because it needs to be assigned
    a drive letter. To do this, right-click the partition on the drive in Disk Management and select
    Change Drive Letter and Paths.

If you don’t see the drive in the Disk Management window at all, we suggest that you try connecting the drive to a different USB port or use a different USB cable. We also recommend that you avoid using USB hubs, and connect the drive directly to your computer.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Nov 8, 2019
  4. scopio Win User

usb drives and public computers

Moving Public Folder to another drive

I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space.
    The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files in the
    C:\Users\Public\SongPro5 folder and does not give the option to be installed software
    on another drive.
    I have searched the web if and how the Public folder can be moved to another drive and found that it can be done using the following steps;

1. COPY (don’t MOVE) the C:\USERS\PUBLIC folder to a different disk or partition
    2. Click the START button and type REGEDIT (not case sensitive) and press enter
    3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS NT > CURRENT VERSION > PROFILE LIST
    4. Double click on PUBLIC
    5. Correct the path
    6. Reboot the PC
    7. Go to C:\USERS\PUBLIC and delete everything
    Can someone here please confirm if the SongPro software is installed in C:\Users\Programs File (x86) (the SSD) and the path Public\SongPro5 folder moved to another folder will work?

usb drives and public computers [​IMG]

scopio, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

usb drives and public computers

1. usb drives and public computers - Similar Threads - usb drives public

2. Bypass Pin on Public Computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bypass Pin on Public Computer?: We have computers available to the public to use and we're trying to prevent anyone from coming in and downloading/installing any software and changing configurations. We have the admin account and a local account called Patron. So far, we've made it to where the Patron...
  3. Bypass Pin on Public Computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bypass Pin on Public Computer?: We have computers available to the public to use and we're trying to prevent anyone from coming in and downloading/installing any software and changing configurations. We have the admin account and a local account called Patron. So far, we've made it to where the Patron...
  4. One Drive public access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive public access: Why do publicly shared files on One Drive often require a user to sign in to an MS account? Google Drive and similar servers don't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-public-access/ac6882e7-53d9-44bc-91c0-adb923ee4c7c
  5. Computer not reading USB recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer not reading USB recovery drive: Andre, I went through the steps to create a recovery drive on a USB stick per your instructions, changed the boot order, but the computer will not boot from the USB drive to begin recovery on a fresh hard drive. What am I missing? Thank you. Paul...
  6. Computer not seeing a USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer not seeing a USB drive: I am trying to make a Windows installation stick but my computer keeps telling me to insert a stick into slot E: even though from the pic you can see it there. Any help greatly appreciated 166956
  7. Computer not seeing a USB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer not seeing a USB drive: I am trying to make a Windows installation stick but my computer keeps telling me to insert a stick into slot E: even though from the pic you can see it there. Any help greatly appreciated 166956
  8. computer not recognizing usb drive

computer not recognizing usb drive: my computer stopped recognizing my usb drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-not-recognizing-usb-drive/087d0d1a-104a-4f04-81e1-ca3c40e89ca5
  9. USB-IF Announces Publication of USB4 Specification

in Windows 10 News
    USB-IF Announces Publication of USB4 Specification: USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), the support organization for the advancement and adoption of USB technology, today announced th epublication of the USB4™ specification, a major update to deliver the next-generation USB architecture that complements and builds upon the...
  10. usb drive not showing on computer

usb drive not showing on computer: I have a Seagate 1 terabyte external hdd and windows 10 cant see it.. even when I go to C: drive and display all drives its not showing. its installed drivers but still cant find it.... major help on this would be good. does anyone else have this problem at any stage...