Windows 10: USB drives becoming unusable- how to recover

Discus and support USB drives becoming unusable- how to recover in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Ive had an issue over the years, where somehow a flash drive will become unusable and not even visible to the system. It will either show up or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AliM2, Jun 11, 2019.

1. AliM2 Win User

USB drives becoming unusable- how to recover

Hi

Ive had an issue over the years, where somehow a flash drive will become unusable and not even visible to the system.

It will either show up or not show up on Disk Management console. sometimes i can run DISKPART and use CLEAN to recover it. other times diskpart will either not show the drive, not allow CLEAN, etc.

sometimes the issue is that ill use a utility like Fedora media writer most recently, and to recover the drive i use the same tool which says it has been recovered but its not.

is there any software out there, or something in powershell that can help recover any usb? im guessing i should be looking at the registry entries or some drivers/firmware, but i want some fix that i can use on any usb if possible.

thanks!

:)

AliM2, Jun 11, 2019
  2. Macazine Win User

Recover files from Flash drive

According to me, the best flash drive recovery software which i have used and recovered files easily. It is very easy to use and within few steps you can recover data from flash drive. Recover Corrupt Flash Drive Mac | | Bill Hoyer Systems

Macazine, Jun 11, 2019
  3. Recover files from Flash drive

Does not work on a windows pc which is what the OP probably intended

windows by default does not have HFS and HFS+ based hard drives.
    Able to perform retrieval on both HFS and HFS+ based hard drives. and so will not work with windows

thanks for the effort

dorsetknob, Jun 11, 2019
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jun 11, 2019
Thema:

1. USB drives becoming unusable- how to recover - Similar Threads - USB drives becoming

2. My PC has suddenly become so slow it's unusable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC has suddenly become so slow it's unusable: So my PC was running fine up until last week. All of a sudden I went to turn it on, when it starts up it is too slow and laggy to do anything. I can't even open my settings. Is this a Virus or is there some other problem? My specs are still fairly up to date and my storage...
  3. how to recover deleted files on usb.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to recover deleted files on usb.: How do I recover deleted files on usb Win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-recover-deleted-files-on-usb/2d0e0bf7-7256-4ba3-a22d-6e060682f26e"
  4. USB drive has become "read only"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drive has become "read only": USB drive has become "read only". Cannot format, delete, anything. How can I change this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-drive-has-become-read-only/803fd445-e7f5-468b-990f-c11c955d38d8
  5. Recovering laptop with failed harddrive, unusable recovery USB and machine won't boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovering laptop with failed harddrive, unusable recovery USB and machine won't boot.: Yes. I have searched and searched and have not yet found the solution. in 2013, I purchased a Toshiba laptop with windows 8 on it. At the time, I made a recovery USB as recommended and squirreled it away for safekeeping. Since then, I took advantage of the Windows 10...
  6. how to recover deleted data in pen drive

how to recover deleted data in pen drive: I was just assigned by my boss to cover a meeting and acted as secretariat. I did all the editing and noted the inputs from every member of the committee. When I went back to the office and did other tasks assigned to me, moved and/or deleted files to free up my pen drive....
  7. My computer is randomly stuttering and it becomes almost unusable.

My computer is randomly stuttering and it becomes almost unusable.: My computer is stuttering a lot recently, happens at any time such as playing a game, watching youtube, or even when I am just on the desktop idle. Specs: Ryzen 5 1500x 1060 6GB Zotac Mini Biostar B350gt5 BX300 Crucial 240GB SSD Toshiba P300 7200RPM 1TB HDD Video of...
  8. Unusable Hard drive partition?

Unusable Hard drive partition?: Hello, I recently installed a new solid state drive in my computer. I ran WD Acronis software to clone my boot drive to the new drive. After I cloned my drive, I noticed that I have the exact same amount of free space available. I went into Disk Management and found out...
  9. Removing unused USB drives

Removing unused USB drives: On my journey to understanding why Auto Play doesn't work on my PC, I discovered that the PC would often rescan my devices upon reboot, and it would list a phantom CD drive until the scan completed. After running the utility in the link (it came from a Symantec thread), I no...
  10. Windows Explorer has become unusable.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer has become unusable.: I am almost unable to make any use of Windows Explorer, because the size of its text and icons has shrunk to such minute proportions it cannot be read, even when using a magnifier. It is not about text size in Settings, text is unreadable however large it is 'set.' I do...