Windows 10: USB drives becoming unusable- how to recover

Discus and support USB drives becoming unusable- how to recover in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Ive had an issue over the years, where somehow a flash drive will become unusable and not even visible to the system. It will either show up or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AliM2, Jun 11, 2019.

1. AliM2 Win User

USB drives becoming unusable- how to recover

Hi

Ive had an issue over the years, where somehow a flash drive will become unusable and not even visible to the system.

It will either show up or not show up on Disk Management console. sometimes i can run DISKPART and use CLEAN to recover it. other times diskpart will either not show the drive, not allow CLEAN, etc.

sometimes the issue is that ill use a utility like Fedora media writer most recently, and to recover the drive i use the same tool which says it has been recovered but its not.

is there any software out there, or something in powershell that can help recover any usb? im guessing i should be looking at the registry entries or some drivers/firmware, but i want some fix that i can use on any usb if possible.

thanks!

:)

AliM2, Jun 11, 2019
  2. Macazine Win User

Recover files from Flash drive

According to me, the best flash drive recovery software which i have used and recovered files easily. It is very easy to use and within few steps you can recover data from flash drive. Recover Corrupt Flash Drive Mac | | Bill Hoyer Systems

Macazine, Jun 11, 2019
  3. Recover files from Flash drive

Does not work on a windows pc which is what the OP probably intended

windows by default does not have HFS and HFS+ based hard drives.
    Able to perform retrieval on both HFS and HFS+ based hard drives. and so will not work with windows

thanks for the effort

dorsetknob, Jun 11, 2019
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jun 11, 2019
Thema:

1. USB drives becoming unusable- how to recover - Similar Threads - USB drives becoming

2. How to recover data from USB DRIVE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to recover data from USB DRIVE: hi i was transfering photos from my phone to my usb drive and it all of a sudden disconnected and started asking to format it, i plugged into my pc to see if i could save the data but its asking me to format it? Why do i have to do that all i did was transfer photos to it...
  3. How to recover data from USB DRIVE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to recover data from USB DRIVE: hi i was transfering photos from my phone to my usb drive and it all of a sudden disconnected and started asking to format it, i plugged into my pc to see if i could save the data but its asking me to format it? Why do i have to do that all i did was transfer photos to it...
  4. How to recover data from USB DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Trying to recover usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to recover usb drive: USB drive does not appear in file manager.In Disk management, drive is not in top listHowever, in a lower box it is listed as disk 1, online, active partition, working properly. But when I try to assign a drive letter, it says "error: File not found." When I try to format, it...
  6. Trying to recover usb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to recover usb drive: USB drive does not appear in file manager.In Disk management, drive is not in top listHowever, in a lower box it is listed as disk 1, online, active partition, working properly. But when I try to assign a drive letter, it says "error: File not found." When I try to format, it...
  7. Recover USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recover USB Flash Drive: I have a 64gb Samsung Bar Plus flash drove and made it a windows boot key, now that I don't want it as a boot key I cannot turn it back. I have looked it up and it says to plug it it and right click then click format, I tried that and I did not know what to format it as and...
  8. Error Recovering from USB Recover Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error Recovering from USB Recover Drive: When restoring my Acer Spin from the recovery USB it runs to about 57% and the gives an error. The SrtTrail.txt shows the following at the end: Root Cause Found Boot Manager is missing or corrupt Repair action: File repair Result: Failed. Error code = 0x2 How do I...
  9. Recover External USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover External USB drive: I ran MediaCreationTool1903.exe (Windows 10 installation media) and accidently selected a 5TB USB drive with name "MyBook" instead a USB flash drive. Now the 5TB USB drive is no longer a 5TB drive but a 31.9GB drive with a name "ESD-USB". Is there any way to restore that...
  10. Removing unused USB drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removing unused USB drives: On my journey to understanding why Auto Play doesn't work on my PC, I discovered that the PC would often rescan my devices upon reboot, and it would list a phantom CD drive until the scan completed. After running the utility in the link (it came from a Symantec thread), I no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb drive unusable

2. usb flash drive shows unusable

3. recover unusable usb windows 10

4. unusable drives in laptop