Windows 10: USB drives displaying weird icons (i believe in usb 3.0 ports only)

Discus and support USB drives displaying weird icons (i believe in usb 3.0 ports only) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This was never an issue until extremely recently. Unfortunately I didnt pick up on exactly when it began happening. All 3 of my usb external hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by klepp0906, Nov 7, 2019.

1. klepp0906 Win User

USB drives displaying weird icons (i believe in usb 3.0 ports only)

This was never an issue until extremely recently. Unfortunately I didnt pick up on exactly when it began happening.

All 3 of my usb external hard drives and my usb stick show weird icons in devices and printers (theyre the ones labled "device" if it isnt obvious lol) The usb stick shows that same weird icon in explorer.

The drives P/Q/R/U are the ones showing weird in devices and printers. Only U shows weird in explorer.

U has an autorun.inf and autorun.ico in order for it to look like a USB stick. It displays this properly if I move it to a usb 2.0 port. Why it no longer does in a usb 3 port is beyond me.

P/Q/R simply showed as hard disks like they do in explorer, in devices and printers - which is no longer the case either. I cant test if this is the same behavior in a usb 2 port as the cords for them are very much zip tied and shortened that theyre basically permanent until such a time i have to replace them. I would assume the behavior is identical though.

I obviously tried unplugging/replugging several times. windows is completely up to date. ran sfc/dism and they came up fine. rebuilt icon cache.

At a loss at this point. Did the newest windows update change something or have an issue that needs addressing in a future update? im on 1909 build 18363.449

USB drives displaying weird icons (i believe in usb 3.0 ports only) [​IMG]

:)

klepp0906, Nov 7, 2019
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Nov 7, 2019
  3. alecm3 Win User
    USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT defective.

I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with two USB 3.0 ports. I connect a Seagate expansion drive to the left USB port and transfer a 4GB test file. It transfers about 1GB at 150MB/s and then transfer speed drops to 0. Then it picks up again after 3-4minutes, then
    drops again intermittently.

I connect the same Seagate drive to the right USB port. The same 4GB file transfers with a constant speed of approximately 150MB/s. Thus the Seagate drive is not defective. Perhaps the left USB port is defective.

I connect a Sandisk 128GB flash drive to the left USB port (that is now suspected defective). It transfers the same 4GB file with constant 130MB/s speed, no speed drops!

Each step is reproducible 10x.

I am out of my wits here.

alecm3, Nov 7, 2019
  4. foxslink Win User

USB 3 Ports not working

Hi folks,
    i was trying to copy some files from an external drive using the usb 3 port on my M/B but it doesnt work, i downloaded the drivers from the Manufacturers website but no luck either, am i missing an important step here? i havent checked the Bios yet
    GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

foxslink, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

1. USB drives displaying weird icons (i believe in usb 3.0 ports only) - Similar Threads - USB drives displaying

2. USB Drives are displaying wrong Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Drives are displaying wrong Icon: Since a quite a while I have an issue with my icons. In Windows Explorer, some USB drives will show the icon of my Webcam. Instead of the normal external drive icon.I have already deleted the icon cache files, by following the instructions in a related...
  3. Weird USB port behaviour

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird USB port behaviour: A little earlier today, i was using my computer normally with no real issues whatsoever, and all of a sudden, both my front USB ports (marked as USB 2.0) stop working at the same time, meaning i couldn't use my mouse or keyboard in thoses ports. However, after i changed my...
  4. Are all USB-C ports USB 3?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are all USB-C ports USB 3?: Idk where else to ask this. Do all USB-C ports support USB 3 cables? My USB-C port just has a normal USB port but so does my USB 3.1 Gen1 port. submitted by /u/xMasterMelonx [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k05owe/are_all_usbc_ports_usb_3/
  5. usb 3 ports not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb 3 ports not detected: we have 2 dell vostro 3750 laptops after update one installed renesas usb3 drivers automatically but the other did not ?usb 3 ports no longer work.strange https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3-ports-not-detected/1bd5883f-46a3-4d4d-be0b-343b85d272a2
  6. Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to display port

Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to display port: Hello random willing stranger Today I bought a new usb-c to displayport cable to properly connect my computer to an external monitor because it was time for a new connection cable and I wanted to exploit the thunderbolt supported usb-c port on my laptop and get some lower...
  7. USB 3 ports not working with USB 3 Devices

USB 3 ports not working with USB 3 Devices: I have had this problem since February and not sure what to do. All of my USB 3 ports are not recognized by my computer as USB 3 ports only as USB 2/1.[ATTACH] The two active ports you see there are USB 3 ports, but they don't work as USB 3 ports. If any one has had this...
  8. USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...: I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with two USB 3.0 ports. I connect a Seagate expansion drive to the left USB port and transfer a 4GB test file. It transfers about 1GB at 150MB/s and then transfer speed drops to 0. Then it picks up again after 3-4minutes, then drops again...
  9. USB 3.1 drive not recognised only on Front USB 3 ports but other devices are and works on...

USB 3.1 drive not recognised only on Front USB 3 ports but other devices are and works on...: Hi, suddenly since today 29 July 2018 my Apacer USB 3.1 Gen1 HDD drive is not recognised on the front USB 3 ports although other devices are and it is seen on the back USB 3 ports. It was working fine before and its just weird that all other USB devices are seen on the USB 3...
  10. One USB 3 port only works with one brand of flash drive

One USB 3 port only works with one brand of flash drive: Folks, There is something very odd going on with JUST ONE of my USB 3 ports (one of the two on the front panel) on my new system that has a "clean" install of Win 10 Pro. A few days ago I tried to use that port and Windows did not recognize any USB drive that I inserted....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. strange USB drive Icons