Windows 10: USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10

Discus and support USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have just updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and when I plug in a any USB drives are not recognised. I have tried a USB stick which worked but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jaburmester, Aug 1, 2015.

1. USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10

I have just updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and when I plug in a any USB drives are not recognised.

I have tried a USB stick which worked but not drives do not.

Any suggestions as all worked in Windows 7.

Thank you.

:)

jaburmester, Aug 1, 2015

2. USB not recognized

A little window, bottom right, on Windows 10 opens. It says the following thing:-

USB not recognised.

The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it.

What do I do?

I don't want the information on the drive, just the drive itself.

It does not stay long enough for me to Format it.

Jeff Gordon_884, Aug 1, 2015
  3. windows 10 purchase for usb download

I purchased windows 10 and can't get past the downloader tool saying " can't find usb drive". Usb drive is formated and installed and recognised in windows. can I download it another way?

WarrenWoodruff, Aug 1, 2015
  4. USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10

Just noticed that USB drive is seen in Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media and in Devices and Printers.

The problem is that when I go to File Explorer ---> This PC I do not see drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

jaburmester, Aug 1, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    Please fill in your System Specs, or post what they are.

bobkn, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Operating System Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10240)
    Install Language: English (United Kingdom)
    System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
    Installed: 02/08/2015 00:58:01
    Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported)

System Model TOSHIBA QOSMIO X500 PQX33E-00N006EN
    Enclosure Type: Notebook
    Processor 1.60 gigahertz Intel Core i7 Q 720
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Hyper-threaded (8 total)

Main Circuit Board Board: TOSHIBA QOSMIO X500
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: TOSHIBA V2.80 09/07/2010

Drives 1424.32 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    434.03 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240ES [Optical drive]
    ExpressCard SSD [Hard drive] (32.20 GB)
    Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series [Hard drive] (512.11 GB)
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB)
    ST310003 40AS USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB)
    ST340063 2A USB Device [Hard drive] (400.09 GB)
    THROTTLE [Hard drive] (32.30 GB)

Memory Modules 16374 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Slot 'M1' has 8192 MB
    Slot 'M2' has 8192 MB

The above was taken from Belarc Advisor and as you can see there are 2 USB drives.

As stated the problem is that when I go to File Explorer ---> This PC I do not see drives.

All help appreciated.

Thank you.

jaburmester, Aug 1, 2015
  7. tfwul Win User
    Regret I am unable to assist, but noticed your post after I posted mine (WD drives not recongized).
    So it seems the issue not limited to WD . . . Still weird though.
    Everything worked fine in Windows 7.

tfwul, Aug 1, 2015
  8. USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10

Does it show up in device manager under disk drives and also disk management?

paulsalter, Aug 1, 2015
  9. Solved problem by going to disk management and assign drive letter to drive to USB drives.

jaburmester, Aug 1, 2015
  10. tfwul Win User
    They didn't show up there either.
    I did another clean install , switched on: nothing
    and again a clean install (yes... indeed 2x)

After the 2nd oclean install and after turning on the drives, two showed up.

Rebooted with all drives turned on and now, finally, they all showed up.
    Did this ' safe remove ' thing. All drives correctly removed.

Kept the drives running. though..

Rebooted again, just to make sure they would show up again. Nothing.
    Turned off and on again and they showed up.

Timebeing situation is solved.

Now trying to find a solution for the next problem: Samsung magicion reporting it is not properly communicating with Samsung SSD. Guess it has something to do with IRST as it does not display my RAID-set.

tfwul, Aug 1, 2015
  11. leejayb Win User
    Same problem here. How do you assign drive letters (when it sees it and gives it a number?
    USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10 [​IMG]

USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10 [​IMG]

leejayb, Aug 8, 2015
  12. bbinnard Win User
    My USB3 WD 2TB Passport appeared online as soon as I plugged it it. I'm running WIn10 Build 10240 with all the latest fixes.

Perhaps the problem is with USB2 drives? I do know that people with 3D printers that use USB2/Serial ports cannot see their printers at all. Seems there is a bug in 10240 having to do with the USB/serial interface. I'm nto sure if this has anything ot do with external disk drives though.

bbinnard, Aug 8, 2015
  13. tfwul Win User

USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10

It seems there are some issues with regards to WD external USB drives, there is a forum post on the WD community site as well.Got a Windows 10 upgrade notification yesterday and I ' upgraded' to windows 10 rtm (again). This time all WD were detected. Before I did the upgrade using the Windows 10 DVD. That is the only difference. Can't explain. Using Asus X99 Deluxe/U3.1 with latest firmware. The drives are connected to USB 3.0 ports.. Crossing my fingers Windows will continue to detect them.
    Maybe you cud try installing SES drivers? However, essentially that shouldn't be necessary.
    =

tfwul, Aug 9, 2015
  14. owens138 Win User
    Worked for me. Disk management, right-click on the mystery drive of known quantity storage and select "change drive letters and paths." Select a letter for the drive and smash ok. Done.

owens138, Jul 10, 2016
  15. Kehra Win User
    *Think ~ *Think ~ *Think

So I went to Disk Management (via windows-key + X>
    and all those options about assigning drive letters were greyed out and inaccessible.

So after clicking on the graphic of the drive space and checking that the
    details matched my USB drive (Toshiba 500 Canvio) and

absolutely ensuring I was not clicking on my hard drive by mistake,

I went ahead and right-clicked on the biggest partion, and deleted the biggest partition.
    Then I went on to make a new one.

(because for some reason, error messages showing, claiming not a Windows partition or something to that effect)

And THAT worked !! My USB hard drive now gets drive letters assigned to it, and everything works nicely.

CAUTION: Obviously, all the USB hard disk's data is going to be wiped out by this operation, and I was fortunate to have another vintage laptop with former O/S, that would read the USB hard disk's data and back it up, before I went ahead with this.

SO SUCCESS! ... after several futile attempts over the last few months ... and happier because my newer Win 10 has USB 3.0 ports, as does my USB hard disk, so things work better.

Kehra, Dec 8, 2016
Thema:

USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10

1. USB Drives not recognised in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - USB Drives recognised

2. External USB DVD drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB DVD drive not recognised: I have a Lenovo ideapad 3 Slim 3 15" running Windows 11 with all uppdates and I have just purchased a external USB DVD drive so I can load my Flight Simulator. However, the DVD is not recognised anywhere. How do I get the DVD drive to work?...
  3. Windows 10 unable to recognise EXFAT drive on USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 unable to recognise EXFAT drive on USB: HiI have an EXFAT drive which was formatted on a Synology DSM6. I need to plug this drive in to do some checks, but my Windows does not recognise the drive and does not show up on the File Explorer. I then downloaded Aomei Partition Assistant which was able to read it.Why...
  4. USB not recognised - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB not recognised - Windows 10: I keep getting this error message today: [ATTACH] The USB that I'd connected via an extension hub was a standard one and I've used it many times before without any problems. It's a SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 32GB, formatted to FAT32 using Quick Format. What's causing the...
  5. USB Disk Drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Disk Drive not recognised: Hi I have two 1TB Toshiba USB Hard Drives. Both work on my old Dell laptop but only one works on my relatively new HP machine. Both are running Windows 10 It shows in Device Manager but not in Disk Management or System. Clicking the USB eject icon on the taskbar displays...
  6. USB not recognised Windows 10

USB not recognised Windows 10: Hello, I am ExetreemPlayz. I have a issue when I plug in a usb device Phone, tablet etc There is a error saying “Usb not recognised” Can anyone please help? My pc: Acer Aspire TC-865...
  7. USB Hard Drives Not Recognised

USB Hard Drives Not Recognised: I have a USB hard drive plugged into a Win10 laptop, that I'm accessing on a Win7 machine via a wireless network. It kept dropping out for a couple of seconds here or there, then went completely dead. Turns out it's an issue with the laptop, not with the network, because it...
  8. USB Hard Drives Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Support
    USB Hard Drives Not Recognised: I have a USB hard drive plugged into a Win10 laptop, that I'm accessing on a Win7 machine via a wireless network. It kept dropping out for a couple of seconds here or there, then went completely dead. Turns out it's an issue with the laptop, not with the network, because it...
  9. USB Not recognised Windows 10

USB Not recognised Windows 10: USB not recognised in windows 10 - makes the sound like USB is picked up but does not display in file explorer. Tried to uninstall all usb devices in device manager - did not work. Any other ideas?...
  10. Windows 10 doesn't recognise USB drives or Disks

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 doesn't recognise USB drives or Disks: Okay, so I input my USB drive; it doesn't detect any data and wants to reformat it, I decide to go ahead with it, but it simply says "windows can't format device E:". It does the same thing with my MSI drivers disk... Please help *Sad 35988