Windows 10: USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

Discus and support USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; ....no drives listed in Hardware List. When I plug USB drives in, the Safely Remove Hardware icon does not appear in in system tray (its not hidden... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by smartcooky, Oct 25, 2016.

1. USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

....no drives listed in Hardware List.

When I plug USB drives in, the Safely Remove Hardware icon does not appear in in system tray (its not hidden either)

First, I went to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Select which Icons Appear on the Taskbar...

USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and [​IMG]

.. and found it was already on

Next I tried using the solution in this post...

Solved No safely remove icon in tray any more after Windows 10 Anniversary up - Windows 10 Forums

...making a shortcut from "rundll32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll", but when I run the shortcut, there are no devices listed...

(in this screenshot, you can see two USB drives in the Explorer window in the BG but nothing listed in the panel. )

NOTE: They are listed in Disk Management and in the Device Manager under Disk Drives, and they function just fine..
    I think the Safely Remove Hardware icon is not appearing because despite being detected and showing in Explorer, Device Manager and Disk Management, its not being listed in this panel for some reason.

NOTE2: I recently installed a new motherboard.

ASUS B150M-A
    CPU Intel Core i5 - 6500 (3.2 GHz)
    Mem 4096 MB (DDR4 - 2133)

I am 100% sure it was working before that, but I cannot say for sure if it was still working after that.
    A friend suggested that it might be a setting in BIOS, but I have looked through it and nothing stands out.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

ETA: this is not the system listed in my System Specs page. That is another computer which I still have.

:)

smartcooky, Oct 25, 2016
  2. grschinon Win User

No safely remove hardware icon in tray

It simply means that earlier versions of PC Suite had already done away with it.

grschinon, Oct 25, 2016
  3. rubix9000 Win User
    No safely remove hardware icon in tray

You mean that the last pc suite is not the only one who desactiveted the safly remove hardware icon? priour versions already done that right? i must be shore of this.

rubix9000, Oct 25, 2016
  4. USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

No-one can offer any suggestions?

smartcooky, Oct 29, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    Are they shown as Removable device in Disk Management ?
    In Device manager > Policies > Removal policy, are they set for Quick removal ?

CountMike, Oct 29, 2016
  6. In Disk Management they are listed as "Removable Drive" in the box on the left

In Device Manager
    - under "Disk Drives" they are listed as "USB Devices"
    -
    under "USB Serial Bus Controllers" they are listed as "USB Mass Storage devices"
    - under "Portable Deivces" they are listed under their drive letter

I do not appear to have a "Policies" option in my Device Manager

smartcooky, Oct 30, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Sorry, missed one step Device manager > Disk drives (properties for particular disk) > Policies > Removal policy.

CountMike, Oct 30, 2016
  8. USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

When I go to Device Manager>Disk drives and click on the Properties for each drive, this is what I get

This is the USB Stick - Drive G:
    No "Policies" tab

This is a Portable HDD - Drive H:
    No "Policies" tab

This is a Portable HDD - Drive I:
    It has a "Policies" tab (shown) but nothing about a Removal Policy

smartcooky, Oct 30, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    This is what I get for all USB sticks:

CountMike, Oct 30, 2016
  10. I have another computer at work that runs Windows 10. I will check to see what it says when I get there.

ETA: Right, so I have done this.

I brought with me the actual USB stick (which gave me no Policies tab at all) and the Silicon Power 1TB drive that did give me a Policies tab but with no Removal Policy option panel. I did this to eliminate any chance that the problem might lie with the stick and/or the HDD.

The computer at work is the same version of Windows 10 Home

The USB stick does give me the Policies tab with the Removal Policy panel

The USB HDD does give me the Policies tab with the Removal Policy panel AND the Write-caching Policy panel

I have another Seagate USB HDD at work, and it gives me both panels on the Polcies tab. I then checked with several other USB Sticks I have at work, and every one of them gives me just the Removal Policy panel on the Policies tab.

I think we have isolated the issue to that missing Removal Policy panel.

So, what creates that missing panel? Could this be something missing in the registry?

smartcooky, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and

1. USB Drives plugged in but No Safely Remove Icon in Tray, and - Similar Threads - USB Drives plugged

2. Safely Remove USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safely Remove USB: Hi Folks, I have a 500 GB WD HDD attached to my Win 10 Laptop. I tried to Safely Remove it 5 times but was still in use. I restarted my PC where I knew I could remove it safely, but I didn't. On restarting with it still connected, I was still unable to remove it safely. Is...
  3. Remove "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from system tray notification area

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from system tray notification area: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit I have performed the following and have rebooted Windows. Press and hold or right-click the taskbar and select Taskbar settings . Under Notification Area , choose Select which icons appear on the taskbar. Scroll to Windows Explorer: Safely Remove...
  4. Safely remove USB/hardware icon location?

Safely remove USB/hardware icon location?: So ive been through about 30 dll's for windows icons and google itself - I cant for the life of me get my paws on the location and/or icon of the safely remove USB looking icon from windows 10. Anyone have any idea? 150236
  5. safe to remove icon

safe to remove icon: my safe to remove icon has gone from my hidden icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/safe-to-remove-icon/00fd3025-693c-4425-ad98-85fe6fee6455
  6. Safely remove hardware tray icon refuses to eject USB media

Safely remove hardware tray icon refuses to eject USB media: I can no longer eject a USB key drive from my computer using the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" tray icon. I don't know what version or patch level this started with, as I haven't used the tray icon since the last time I made recovery sticks. Yesterday, I made a...
  7. Safe removal of usb drive

Safe removal of usb drive: How do you safely remove usb drive from computer on Window 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/safe-removal-of-usb-drive/8e1ea4eb-bfe9-4e58-866a-292b3c94ac03
  8. Move "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from system tray to Hidden Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Move "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from system tray to Hidden Icons: . My "Safely Remove Hardware" icon has moved from Hidden Icons to the system tray - to the right of the "Show hIdden icons" icon. How can I move it back to Hidden Icons? Thanks. 110170
  9. Hide Windows Remove USB Safely Tray Icon.

Hide Windows Remove USB Safely Tray Icon.: Does someone knows a way to hide it for good? Not disabling it, because that could cause some trouble, just that doesn't show in the tray? A .reg file would be awesome. I want this for 2 reasons: First, I don't use it, I use USB Disk Ejector; and second because it's...
  10. safe removal ballon notification has disappeared, icon still in tray

in Windows 10 Support
    safe removal ballon notification has disappeared, icon still in tray: Win 10 from Win 7 HP laptop2000 240CA, 64 bit I am really stumped and need help, please. My problem is I have theremove icon in the pop up from the taskbar tray (see photos) I do not get theballoon notification any longer that say Safe To Remove Hardware any longer.This...