Windows 10: USB drives unaccessable after disabling virtual drive -- Help

Discus and support USB drives unaccessable after disabling virtual drive -- Help in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Yesterday I mounted an iso file as a virtual drive using the Power2Go software. It asked which drive letter I wanted to use, since my USB 2.0 hub uses... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tanya O, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Tanya O Win User

USB drives unaccessable after disabling virtual drive -- Help

Yesterday I mounted an iso file as a virtual drive using the Power2Go software. It asked which drive letter I wanted to use, since my USB 2.0 hub uses letters E, F, G and H, I chose the letter V.

Today, I diasabled the virtual drive as I no longer needed it.

I have a two 3.0 USB drive hub and a four 2.0 USB drive hub on the front of my computer.

When I inserted a USB stick (it is a dongle and drive, so it takes up two drive letters) instead of it taking up letters E and F it took up letters E and V.

I then placed three additional usb sticks in and my computer jingles that it acknowledges the sticks are there, but they do not auto launch an Explorer window, nor do they display as active under Devices and drives in the Explorer and finally, they do not display under Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media.

USB drives unaccessable after disabling virtual drive -- Help e0a44269-b76a-4026-8561-9a9e6d779162?upload=true.png

USB drives unaccessable after disabling virtual drive -- Help 3054e7d3-0d42-4a79-9b0b-a7ae228afe80?upload=true.png

I checked the Device Manager and everything is running well. So, how do I get Windows 10 to recognize these USB drives?

Also, why did it deactivate them?

The iso file was located in my downloads folder not on a USB stick.

:)

Tanya O, Oct 18, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Oct 18, 2019
  3. Unable to see info on USB drive

Check if the drive is assigned a drive letter.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Disk drives

Right click the external drive

Click uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart then check if its detected.

OR

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, Oct 18, 2019
  4. USB drives unaccessable after disabling virtual drive -- Help

Lost space of Pen Drive

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

• Have you tried connecting to a different computer?
    I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

First back up all the data from your USB drive to another location.

I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

Let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to refresh the drive letter and then try to rescan the drives that are connect to the computer and check.

To refresh drive letter:

• Open Computer Management (Local).
    • In the console tree, click Computer Management (Local), click
      Storage, and then click Disk Management.
    • Click Action, and then click Refresh.
    • Once you have refreshed connect the new zip drive and to update hardware information, click Rescan Disks instead.
    Step 2: For unallocated space on USB drive

• Press the Windows key, and type Diskpart.

• Click the result to open the DiskPart command prompt window.

• In the command prompt window, type list disk and hit Enter.

• The removable USB drive or hard disk will be shown under
      Disk 1.

• Type in the following commands and hit Enter.
    select disk 1

Clean

create partition primary

• The first command selects your removable USB drive.

• The Clean command deletes all the current partitions present on the USB drive.

• The Create primary partition creates a fresh partition and allocates all the unallocated space on this fresh partition.

• Type Exit to close the command prompt window.

• Unplug your USB drive and plug it back again.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

USB drives unaccessable after disabling virtual drive -- Help

1. USB drives unaccessable after disabling virtual drive -- Help - Similar Threads - USB drives unaccessable

2. delete virtual drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    delete virtual drive: i have a problem with my virtual drive i can not delete it with disk management or eject or delete it from properties pleas help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-virtual-drive/a1b5de16-205b-4f0f-8781-5485a1f339d3
  3. Disable USB drive boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable USB drive boot: Hi. Can you tell me please how can I disable booting from USB flash drive bootable after restarting the PC with the shift key pressed, without disabling the usb ports in the bios?...
  4. Disable USB drive boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable USB drive boot: Hi. Can you tell me please how can I disable booting from USB flash drive bootable after restarting the PC with the shift key pressed, without disabling the usb ports in the bios?...
  5. Disable USB drive boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Virtual Drive stays after disabling Sandbox

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Drive stays after disabling Sandbox: Hello, I noticed an virtual drive in Disk Management called "PortableBaseLayer" that appeared ever since I have enabled Windows Sandbox. It takes up 8 GB. However, this virtual drive does not go away after disabling Sandbox and still takes up 8 GB. I am using Windows 1909....
  7. Hard Drive files unaccessible after some time?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive files unaccessible after some time?: Hello everyone - I've got a very unique issue which I'm hoping some expert can help me on! So a while back I attempted to do a Disk Clean-Up of one of my three internal Hard Drives; without noticing however, the entire Hard Drives files started to be deleted... thankfully,...
  8. OneDrive folder unaccessable - HELP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive folder unaccessable - HELP: Hello. I'm currently having an issue with OneDrive right now. I tried going to the OneDrive folder, but it instead said this. C:/[REAL NAME]/OneDrive is not accessible. The file cannot be accessed by the system. After being a bit disappointed by the Fall Creators...
  9. stuck in blue screen will not reset code unaccessible drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    stuck in blue screen will not reset code unaccessible drive: I can get comand shell but dont know how https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stuck-in-blue-screen-will-not-reset-code/5ad3ab63-a623-4d54-85bb-ccc9abb879e9
  10. USB flash drive help

in Windows 10 Support
    USB flash drive help: Hi, its my first post. My problem is that my 128gb flash drive wont appear in windows 10 or any programs. It showed up in the Devices section of the control panel, but said there was a problem with the USB mass storage device driver. I reinstalled the mass storage, and it...