Windows 10: USB drives

Discus and support USB drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I attach a WD USB drive It opens File Explorer automatically to view files and folders because Autostart is configured to do so. However the pop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TMWGray, Jul 19, 2019.

1. TMWGray Win User

USB drives

When I attach a WD USB drive It opens File Explorer automatically to view files and folders because Autostart is configured to do so. However the pop up window asking me what I want it to do continually appears even though the USB drive is still connected. I was advised to change the autostart setting to Ask every time. This works OK but the pop up window still appears asking me what I want it to do. I have changed the settings between these two options and restarted the laptop each time but the issue still exists. That is the pop up window continually appearing and asking what I want it to do. Sometimes it opens a second window showing File Explorer folders.

The USB drive is working OK and backups run successfully to it. WD have tested the drive and say it is OK and could be the operating System.

Any solutions to this pretty annoying issue?

TMWGray

:)

TMWGray, Jul 19, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jul 19, 2019
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jul 19, 2019
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

USB drives

USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

USB drives nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Jul 19, 2019
Thema:

USB drives

1. USB drives - Similar Threads - USB drives

2. USB drives not showing in "Change where new content is saved"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drives not showing in "Change where new content is saved": My two USB drives, visible in Explorer, do not appear as options when I navigate Settings > Storage > "Change where new content is saved."These drives also don't show in "View storage usage on other drives," but they are shown when I try to add drives from "View backup...
  3. USB drives not showing in "Change where new content is saved"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB drives not showing in "Change where new content is saved": My two USB drives, visible in Explorer, do not appear as options when I navigate Settings > Storage > "Change where new content is saved."These drives also don't show in "View storage usage on other drives," but they are shown when I try to add drives from "View backup...
  4. USB drives not showing in "Change where new content is saved"

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 7

How to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 7: I have a Dell Inspiron N5010. I bought it refurbished with a Windows 10. I wasn't enjoying it because it was lagging. I replaced the windows 10 with a window 7.Last month, I decided to wipe the hard drive and start afresh. I created a bootable USB drive with Rufus using...
  6. How to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 7: I have a Dell Inspiron N5010. I bought it refurbished with a Windows 10. I wasn't enjoying it because it was lagging. I replaced the windows 10 with a window 7.Last month, I decided to wipe the hard drive and start afresh. I created a bootable USB drive with Rufus using...
  7. C Drive not showing when I run Ubuntu from a bootable usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C Drive not showing when I run Ubuntu from a bootable usb: I am trying to recover unuploaded OneDrive documents from a Dell Optiplex 7780 running Windows 11 that I got locked out of. I assume there should be a folder on the C drive where the un-uploaded documents would be stored. My plan was to use an Ubuntu bootable USB to access...
  8. C Drive not showing when I run Ubuntu from a bootable usb

C Drive not showing when I run Ubuntu from a bootable usb: I am trying to recover unuploaded OneDrive documents from a Dell Optiplex 7780 running Windows 11 that I got locked out of. I assume there should be a folder on the C drive where the un-uploaded documents would be stored. My plan was to use an Ubuntu bootable USB to access...
  9. usb drive not showing up after power outage?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb drive not showing up after power outage?: hello. a recent power outage happened where i live and now my flash drive doesnt work. it worked fine after that but it was beeping like "....beep...beep...beeep..." it is a seagate ps4 gaming drive, 2 terabytes....
  10. USB drive showing up as 2 Drives on PC [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    USB drive showing up as 2 Drives on PC [Fix]: [IMG]Some Windows users have complained that when they connect a USB drive to their Windows PC, the USB drive shows up as 2 different drives when they plug it in. If you are facing the same issue, we have you covered with all working fixes. So, check out below. Fix USB drive...