Windows 10: usb dvd-r drive not working, please help

Discus and support usb dvd-r drive not working, please help in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with a problem I am having. I bought a usb cd drive from amazon that states it works with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mcginnstuart, Jan 10, 2020.

1. usb dvd-r drive not working, please help

Hi all,

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with a problem I am having.

I bought a usb cd drive from amazon that states it works with windows 10, it is plug and play so there was no software cd provided.

My pc recognises the drive and I can play audio cd's through the drive but when I put a blank dvd or audio disc in it will not recognise the disc, it says that Windows cannot recognise the disc and it may need to be formatted.

Windows media player wont recognise the drive as a burner at all.

I have checked the driver and it is up to date but on the event log it states that the drive has failed to migrate due to partial or ambiguous match.

The full error is:

Device USBSTOR\CdRom&Ven_hp&Prod_DV-28S-V&Rev_A.0F\313030313237323332303038&0 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: IDE\CdRomATAPI_iHAS124___B_______________________AL0S____\5&E8041DD&0&1.1.0
    Class Guid: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Location Path:
    Migration Rank: 0xF000FE00E000F130
    Present: false

I have tried changing the usb ports and they are all working fine.

I cannot find a manufacturers website to search for a driver, the brand is cabletrans.

If I cannot get it working I will return it to the seller but if I can get it working I would rather save myself the hassle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

:)

mcginnstuart, Jan 10, 2020

2. DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs

Thank you for your help, Andre. I appreciate that it was so prompt!

My system is a Dell Inspiron 5558.

First step: Running Troubleshooter in Hardware and Devices and then restarting.
    Outcome: No change. The drive says to insert a disc, even though there is a brand new on in the drive.

Second step: Open Device Manager and update the driver for the DVD drive.
    Outcome: No change. Using the option to search the internet for the most current drive, Microsoft says the best driver for this device is already installed. FYI - the DVD drive is: TSSTcorp
    DVD+- SU-208GB

Third step: Open Administrator:Windows Powershell and run the regedit.exe command then restart.

Outcome: No change. The drive does not recognize a new/blank DVD-R.

Fourth step: Check out the suggestions at groovypost.com. Remove and reinstall the IDE/ATAPI drivers (ATA Channel 0, ATA Channel 1, and Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller).

Outcome: When I set the view to "show hidden devices" and expanded the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, there is only one listed: Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family
    SATA AHCI Controller. I didn't do anything because I wasn't sure about uninstalling that driver.

So, bottom line, nothing changed. The problem of the drive not recognizing a new DVD is persisting. The only thing that changed from four days ago, when I burned about 8 DVDs, and now, is that I ran out of the DVDs I was using and bought a new batch (identical
    brand and type to what I had been using - SONY DVD-R). I bought a second batch of a different brand - Maxell DVD-R - and those don't work either.

I don't believe it is a hardware issue because when I plug in an external Dell DVD+-R drive, it also doesn't recognize the discs.

This is really bumming me out. I am in the middle of a project and I can't finish it!

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!!

slugrunnerZZ, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Dvd drive not showing

Is this the HP 15r014tx in your system specs? If so, try the steps in this thread....
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...r/td-p/6186456

It may be that your DVD drive has a hardware failure (as was suggested in that thread).

More HP support and diagnosis suggestions here in their Help pages....
    HP PCs - CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected (Windows 10, 8) | HP® Customer Support

4. Chilady Win User

usb dvd-r drive not working, please help

No DVD-R drive in device manager or This PC after upgrading to Windows

Hi,

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a few weeks ago and since that time I don't have a DVD – R drive. I still have my DVD – RW, but the other drive is missing from the device manager and the computer list. What happened to it? What steps can I take to recover it.

Thank You!

Chilady, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

usb dvd-r drive not working, please help

1. usb dvd-r drive not working, please help - Similar Threads - usb dvd drive

2. Which is better for a Windows 11: a DVD+R or a DVD-R

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which is better for a Windows 11: a DVD+R or a DVD-R: I have a question:Which one is better for a Windows 11 Pro, a DVD+R or a DVD-R? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-is-better-for-a-windows-11-a-dvdr-or-a-dvd-r/fbe2e7ae-1ee4-43a1-84ee-451ff9f9e097
  3. Which is better for a Windows 11: a DVD+R or a DVD-R

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which is better for a Windows 11: a DVD+R or a DVD-R: I have a question:Which one is better for a Windows 11 Pro, a DVD+R or a DVD-R? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-is-better-for-a-windows-11-a-dvdr-or-a-dvd-r/fbe2e7ae-1ee4-43a1-84ee-451ff9f9e097
  4. Sony DVD+R

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sony DVD+R: I have got Windows 10 in my computer and the DVD reader CAN read and download the videos I have recorded on DVD+R support EXCEPT the Sony ones. Any idea of what the problem is? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sony-dvdr/0bb33c09-ef92-4097-a128-07026eb1aa13
  5. Mini DVD-R

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mini DVD-R: Hello I have a lot of old home movies recorded on a Hitachi Camcorder using Maxell mini DVD-R disks. I would like to watch these videos on my computer and possibly transfer them to a regular DVD. Windows media playing is telling me "Disk is Empty". How can I watch these...
  6. Play a DVD-R

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Play a DVD-R: I have some old 8mm films that were put on a DVD-R years ago - why can't I play it in my DVD/CD drive on my computer that was recently upgraded to Windows 10? I was always able to play it on Windows ....
  7. DVD R/W

DVD R/W: Can a DVD R/W disk be converted from UDT to NTFS? I wish to create a system image but all the disks are UDT! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-rw/0aec9cf7-c75a-4efc-8bdd-753eea3f62aa
  8. DVD R options

in Windows 10 Customization
    DVD R options: Options come up when you first put in a DVDR, asking how you would what to use the DVD, use as a USB or Use as a DVD. I want to change how i use the DVD but i can't get the option to come up again, how do i do this?...
  9. DVD R

DVD R: how do I erase a disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-r/8cb187dd-f717-495c-95e3-99c1c3df5bb4
  10. USB DVD-RW drive shows up as CD-ROM even with new DVD-R disk in drive

USB DVD-RW drive shows up as CD-ROM even with new DVD-R disk in drive: I have two PC's running Windows 10. I plug in the DVD-RW drive into one, it shows up as a CD Drive, I plug into the other, it shows up as DVD-RW drive with 4.x GB free space.... CD Drive Machine: Windows 10 Pro N - 10.0.1734 Build 17134 DVD-RW Drive Machine...