Windows 10: USB external drive detection

Discus and support USB external drive detection in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My Lenovo Yoga does not detect an external cd/dvd drive plugged into the usb port. How do I make it search for the device?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by John Oshoway, Aug 13, 2019 at 6:52 PM.

1. USB external drive detection

My Lenovo Yoga does not detect an external cd/dvd drive plugged into the usb port. How do I make it search for the device?

:)

John Oshoway, Aug 13, 2019 at 6:52 PM

2. usb external harddrive is not detected

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

• Have you allocated drive letter for the external drive?
    • Do you get any prompt when you connect the external drive to your PC?
    • Is the external device getting detected under disk manager?

You will be able to view the contents of drives if you have allocated a drive name/letter. If you do not allocate a name/letter and if you try to view it on the PC, it will not be visible.

Connect the external device to the PC and follow the steps below to check if the external drive is getting detected:

• Open Run command by pressing Windows Key + R, type
      diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
    • Check if the external device is detected in this window.
    • If the device is detected as unallocated, right click on the external drive and select
      New Simple Volume option. Follow the onscreen instructions where-in, in one of the page you will be asked to select a drive letter.
    • Assign a drive letter and check if you are able to access the contents of the drive.

Write back to us with the answers to the above questions and status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

3. ldybozz Win User
    usb external harddrive is not detected

Have the same issue. But when I right click the options are grey only PROPERTIES and HELP are available. No drive letter is listed. It shows a white arrow going down inside a red circle next to DISK 1

UNKNOWN

931.51 GB

NOT INITIALIZED with a box next to that w/a black stripped header

4. Ferdz Amp Win User

USB external drive detection

Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thema:

USB external drive detection

1. USB external drive detection - Similar Threads - USB external drive

2. win 10 does not detect external hard drive on usb port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    win 10 does not detect external hard drive on usb port: I recently set up a new computer with Windows 10. I have a hard drive that I removed from my old (Windows XP) PC, and have connected it as an external drive to the new Win 10 PC using a Unitek USB 3.0 to IDE adapter. The adapter has its own power supply so it does not need...
  3. External USB disk drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External USB disk drives: I currently have 4 USB disk drives. Occasionally I get a notification asking how do I want to configure a couple of these. When I click on the notice nothing happens. One of these, my primary data drive, works but doesn't consistently show up in various configuration...
  4. USB drive not detecting printer

USB drive not detecting printer: I am using a Microsoft book 2 and my USB not detecting printer. The computer detects my phone but does not stay connected; it just does cycles of connecting then disconnecting. Thanks, Ellis McClain...
  5. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f
  6. USB External Drive

USB External Drive: I use win 10. I have a Seagate external Slim Mobile Drive. It works fine but generates a warning in The USB Drive Device listing. The warning is: "This device cannot start." Should I Worry?...
  7. Iomega Ego RPHD-U window will not detect usb for external drive

Iomega Ego RPHD-U window will not detect usb for external drive: When I plug in first time (usb) it connects then like after it heats up Windows 10 gives me error USB not recognized. Then I unplug the Iomega Ego RPHD-U but win10- wouldn't even see it...
  8. Toshiba external hard drive not detectible

Toshiba external hard drive not detectible: I have a Toshiba DWC250 5TB external drive formatted ReFS that I cannot detect in either Disk Management or by using DiskPart/List Disk. Cabling and power are sound. The unit is not user serviceable because the case is not designed to be opened. I use it in a storage pool on...
  9. samsung external hdd drive HM251JI not detected

samsung external hdd drive HM251JI not detected: hello, i have a samsung external 2.5" hdd drive HM251JI worked fine in Vistas, will not work on my new laptop which had windows 8.1 and now windows 10. I plug it into the usb the drive starts up and the blue led is on but it is not detected on my laptop, not in device manger...
  10. External drive not detected by computer

External drive not detected by computer: Currently have an internal HDD running windows 10. Before it was on Win 7 but the I took it off and made it as an external drive because all of a sudden all files (C drive files were deleted by themselves or gone). So I was thinking maybe I can recover the files if I...