Windows 10: USB External Drive Not Displaying in This PC

Discus and support USB External Drive Not Displaying in This PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I plugged in my USB external drive but it is not showing up anywhere. Where is it and how do I access the data on it? Thank you.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LoriBarton, Dec 3, 2018.

1. USB External Drive Not Displaying in This PC

I plugged in my USB external drive but it is not showing up anywhere. Where is it and how do I access the data on it?

Thank you.

:)

LoriBarton, Dec 3, 2018
  2. Mussels Win User

HELP!!! External Drive issues!!

you're in luck, the guy with way too much external storage is here to the rescue!

step 1: try with a different USB cable

step 2: take the drive out of the enclosure and connect it internally to your PC

quite likely the cable or enclosure has died. if you're re-initialising the disk you might actually be erasing it... so dont do that.

Mussels, Dec 3, 2018
  3. Aera Rua Win User
    External USB Drive Error

Hello,

I/O device error happened because your PC in not able perform an Input/ Output actions, such as reading or copying the data when you are trying to access the drive. This may occur due to different type of reasons; it may be due to damaged or defective hardware
    device or your pc requires an update for issues that may conflict USB external hard drive. To isolate the reason behind and find a fix for this, we recommend that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

Check if the problem is with the USB or with the PC.

• If you have different PC, try connecting your USB device there to see if you’ll encounter the same error or if you do not have an access to different PC, try connecting a different USB device to see if the issue persists.
    • If you encounter the same error while connecting the USB device to a different PC or if other USB devices works on your PC without the error, this may have been that your External USB device is corrupted or damaged.
    • In that case, you will need to reformat that USB device in order to use it again. Please do note that formatting your USB device will remove all of its contents.

If you encounter the same error when you connect a different USB device on your PC or if your USB device works fine with different PC, we recommend that you follow the troubleshooting steps in this

article
    to resolve the issue.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Aera Rua, Dec 3, 2018
  4. USB External Drive Not Displaying in This PC

External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

USB External Drive Not Displaying in This PC

1. USB External Drive Not Displaying in This PC - Similar Threads - USB External Drive

2. Pc with windows10 does not recognize external USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc with windows10 does not recognize external USB drive: I have a desktop pc with windows10. When I plug is a USB external drive to a USB port the pc does sees the drive but no drive letter. I have to go in disk management to assign a drive letter, than I can access what is on the desk top USB drive. I can not seem to find a...
  3. Pc with windows10 does not recognize external USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc with windows10 does not recognize external USB drive: I have a desktop pc with windows10. When I plug is a USB external drive to a USB port the pc does sees the drive but no drive letter. I have to go in disk management to assign a drive letter, than I can access what is on the desk top USB drive. I can not seem to find a...
  4. Pc with windows10 does not recognize external USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB external Drive: My wife's Windows 10 Pro PC suddenly died.Can I move her Ext drive to to my Windows 10 Pro PC, so we can read her files ?Both are identical DELL E6540's.I presently have my own Ext Drive all is working OK on my machine.Can I keep both of them plugged in ?We both are running...
  6. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external Drive: My wife's Windows 10 Pro PC suddenly died.Can I move her Ext drive to to my Windows 10 Pro PC, so we can read her files ?Both are identical DELL E6540's.I presently have my own Ext Drive all is working OK on my machine.Can I keep both of them plugged in ?We both are running...
  7. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. usb external drives

usb external drives: Hello --- my hp laptop has 2 usb2 ports and 1 usb3 port and 1 usb-c port It seems that if I try to use a powered the hub uses a ac adaptor usb 3 hub connected to the usb 3 or usb c port after a time, any external disks plugged in to the hub seems to stop working -- and...
  9. USB external drive detection

USB external drive detection: My Lenovo Yoga does not detect an external cd/dvd drive plugged into the usb port. How do I make it search for the device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-external-drive-detection/4dd6bbfd-99da-47cd-8a89-a2a521d6ac12
  10. USB External Drive

USB External Drive: I use win 10. I have a Seagate external Slim Mobile Drive. It works fine but generates a warning in The USB Drive Device listing. The warning is: "This device cannot start." Should I Worry?...