Windows 10: USB external drive with BSOD.

Discus and support USB external drive with BSOD. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Is anyone having issues with backing up with usb external drives and blue screens? No problems with small amount of data but say 60 GB size files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ramon&Me, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Ramon&Me Win User

USB external drive with BSOD.

Is anyone having issues with backing up with usb external drives and blue screens? No problems with small amount of data but say 60 GB size files and here comes the wretched blue screen. I tried a clean install with no luck.

:)

Ramon&Me, Jul 4, 2020
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Jul 4, 2020
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jul 4, 2020
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jul 4, 2020
Thema:

1. USB external drive with BSOD. - Similar Threads - USB external drive

2. USB external drive not connecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB external drive not connecting: My PC running Windows 10.0.19043 has stopped recognising aexternal hard disc connected via USB. I've been using this hard disc for about three years and recently it has disappeared from Windows Explorer. I've tested the USB ports using a memory stick and they are working....
  3. USB external drive not connecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB external drive not connecting: My PC running Windows 10.0.19043 has stopped recognising aexternal hard disc connected via USB. I've been using this hard disc for about three years and recently it has disappeared from Windows Explorer. I've tested the USB ports using a memory stick and they are working....
  4. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB external Drive: My wife's Windows 10 Pro PC suddenly died.Can I move her Ext drive to to my Windows 10 Pro PC, so we can read her files ?Both are identical DELL E6540's.I presently have my own Ext Drive all is working OK on my machine.Can I keep both of them plugged in ?We both are running...
  5. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external Drive: My wife's Windows 10 Pro PC suddenly died.Can I move her Ext drive to to my Windows 10 Pro PC, so we can read her files ?Both are identical DELL E6540's.I presently have my own Ext Drive all is working OK on my machine.Can I keep both of them plugged in ?We both are running...
  6. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. usb external drives

usb external drives: Hello --- my hp laptop has 2 usb2 ports and 1 usb3 port and 1 usb-c port It seems that if I try to use a powered the hub uses a ac adaptor usb 3 hub connected to the usb 3 or usb c port after a time, any external disks plugged in to the hub seems to stop working -- and...
  8. USB external drive detection

USB external drive detection: My Lenovo Yoga does not detect an external cd/dvd drive plugged into the usb port. How do I make it search for the device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-external-drive-detection/4dd6bbfd-99da-47cd-8a89-a2a521d6ac12
  9. USB External Drive

USB External Drive: I use win 10. I have a Seagate external Slim Mobile Drive. It works fine but generates a warning in The USB Drive Device listing. The warning is: "This device cannot start." Should I Worry?...
  10. Random BSOD caused by external hard drive or USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random BSOD caused by external hard drive or USB: Hi Folks, I have a newly built computer with windows 10 installed, AMD Fx 8350, Asrock 970 pro3 motherboard,650 watt GPU, 7970 HD videocard, everything is plugged in properly, all drivers up to date, AMD Chipset drivers installed as well. I am expierencing 2 issues at the...