Windows 10: USB External Drives (3 different types) no longer working

Discus and support USB External Drives (3 different types) no longer working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 x64 (up to date) here. MSI X570 Carbon Wifi Ryzen 3700X GTX 1080ti I have three different external USB drives which are suddenly no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MonsieurCedric, Nov 10, 2019.

1. USB External Drives (3 different types) no longer working

Windows 10 x64 (up to date) here.

MSI X570 Carbon Wifi

Ryzen 3700X

GTX 1080ti

I have three different external USB drives which are suddenly no longer working.

-1 WD My Book 2TB (keeps restarting, disconnects/reconnects as soon as you connect the USB)

-1 SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD 128 (appears in device manager with a little "problem" icon, impossible to update drivers or anything)

-1 external USB-C NvMe drive.

I tried these devices on my laptop, they work without issue.

I tried every USB port, no succes

I uninstalled the USB controller hosts in the device manager and restarted, no succes.

I checked the Windows power-options, they are not in power saving mode

etc....

I first thought it was a motherboard problem, but then I added a PCI USB 3.0 card with two extra ports, and I get the same problem with all the drives.

So, now, I believe it's Windows related, especially after updating yesterday!

Anyone else had this problem?

PS: I just tried with a regular SanDisk USB pen-drive, same problem.

:)

MonsieurCedric, Nov 10, 2019
  2. Aera Rua Win User

External USB Drive Error

Hello,

I/O device error happened because your PC in not able perform an Input/ Output actions, such as reading or copying the data when you are trying to access the drive. This may occur due to different type of reasons; it may be due to damaged or defective hardware
    device or your pc requires an update for issues that may conflict USB external hard drive. To isolate the reason behind and find a fix for this, we recommend that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

Check if the problem is with the USB or with the PC.

• If you have different PC, try connecting your USB device there to see if you’ll encounter the same error or if you do not have an access to different PC, try connecting a different USB device to see if the issue persists.
    • If you encounter the same error while connecting the USB device to a different PC or if other USB devices works on your PC without the error, this may have been that your External USB device is corrupted or damaged.
    • In that case, you will need to reformat that USB device in order to use it again. Please do note that formatting your USB device will remove all of its contents.

If you encounter the same error when you connect a different USB device on your PC or if your USB device works fine with different PC, we recommend that you follow the troubleshooting steps in this

article
    to resolve the issue.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Aera Rua, Nov 10, 2019
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Nov 10, 2019
  4. foxslink Win User

USB External Drives (3 different types) no longer working

USB 3 Ports not working

Hi folks,
    i was trying to copy some files from an external drive using the usb 3 port on my M/B but it doesnt work, i downloaded the drivers from the Manufacturers website but no luck either, am i missing an important step here? i havent checked the Bios yet
    GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

foxslink, Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

USB External Drives (3 different types) no longer working

1. USB External Drives (3 different types) no longer working - Similar Threads - USB External Drives

2. USB 3 Ports No Longer Work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3 Ports No Longer Work: After updating Windows back in May, my USB 3.0 ports provide power, but no data. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the USB drivers to no avail. I have been unable to find an older version of the drivers to rollback to. I am currently on Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.19042 Build...
  3. External Drive No Longer Detected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External Drive No Longer Detected: Need some help on this one. First the essentials: Home-built PC running Windows 10 (no issues since built 1 year ago) 2TB SSD for OS 4 Tb Internal SATA HD Radeon RX 570 GPU Ryzen 7 2700x 8 core CPU 10 Tb SeaGate Expansion External HD The issue: a few days ago the...
  4. Different types of USB cables

Different types of USB cables: I understand there are data cables, charging cables and combined cables. and OTG plus maybe some others. How can I tell them apart? None of mine have anything to indicate what they are, and all of them have been used for both data and charging with no ill effects as far as I...
  5. USB external HDD no longer working

USB external HDD no longer working: Greetings: I have an old external HDD enclosure (Mad Dog) that shows up as "Unspecified" under Devices and Printers. This drive was working just fine several months ago. I basically just use it as a backup for my music library, so I do access it very often. I lost a good...
  6. USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.: USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3. In a partitioned drive it only shows one partition. With thumb drives it works okay. I posted this last week but I was hit by scammers, that`s why I`m posting again. Thanks in advance....
  7. Bipra external USB Hard Drive no longer connects

Bipra external USB Hard Drive no longer connects: My BIPRA external USB Hard Drive has stopped connecting. I use it to provide ample extra storage for my 2-in-1 tablet PC, mainly for backup purposes, which it did very well until recently. Now it either does not connect at all, or if it does it is not good enough to enable...
  8. External Hard drive No Longer Working! [urgent]

External Hard drive No Longer Working! [urgent]: PLEASE HELP! Okay so i have an external hard drive, western digital, almost exactly a year old. i was tagging/playing.organizing some music when things went really weird. I wasn't able to access certain files, files and folder were undeletable because they were not there...
  9. External Hard Drives no longer working

External Hard Drives no longer working: Hi, having some really frustrating issues with my laptop and had to create a profile on this site as nothing seems to be working. I have an Acer Aspire running Windows 10 (version 1511, OS Build 10586.36). I have been travelling for a while so haven't updated for quite some...
  10. Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures

Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures: Ever since I switched over to my new Windows 10 PC, I haven't been able to access my external USB 3.0 enclosures. They are all 4-disk enclosures by IcyDock (Black Vortex). On my old Windows 7 PC, all I had to do was turn it on and all 4 drives were detected via USB 3. Now on...