Windows 10: USB External Drives (both flash and HDD's) weird icons and names (Latest CU BUG)

Discus and support USB External Drives (both flash and HDD's) weird icons and names (Latest CU BUG) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Is anyone else here getting strange icons on your usb flash drives/external hdd's? Are your devices being renamed do "Device" on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nikkoaki, Nov 9, 2019.

1. USB External Drives (both flash and HDD's) weird icons and names (Latest CU BUG)

USB External Drives (both flash and HDD's) weird icons and names (Latest CU BUG) FCSci5rNxe8i2tKDtTfO623NiazhfrnJGM3AZMU6UlQ.jpg

Is anyone else here getting strange icons on your usb flash drives/external hdd's? Are your devices being renamed do "Device" on the "Devices and printers" page and the eject icon on the bottom left corner?

Here's an example:

https://preview.redd.it/u2skxyzb5qx...bp&s=ef696debdbda120ce35ebfea8f7fe43d8b74b762

Here's an image from another user:

https://preview.redd.it/o07j37qr6qx...bp&s=764a40aea97e5a8d6824bd4d8866bc2901bbd736

This seemed to have started with the latest CU and started only by affecting USB3.0 devices, and later, USB2.0 ones also. Removing the CU doesn't help but restoring the system to a day previous to when the CU was installed, does. You can see more people with the same problem here: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/143991-usb-drives-displaying-weird-icons-i-believe-usb-3-0-ports-only.html

I'm just trying to see if there are people that not affected by this. If you have a USB 3.0 flash drive or and external HDD, can you try it out and leave a comment saying if you are affected or not?

submitted by /u/nikkoaki
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nikkoaki, Nov 9, 2019
  2. monim1 Win User

USB Flash Drive or Ex HDD?

Go with the external HDD. Though it's size is bigger, it is safer than USB flash drive. Also you will get more storage.

monim1, Nov 9, 2019
  3. Disco5 Win User
    USB Flash Drive or Ex HDD?

Need a portable device to store photos & films on, so a usb flash drive or an external hard drive is needed.
    Both seem roughly the same price and are host powered, but which to go for?
    Would look at 128GB Flash or 500GB Ex HDD

Disco5, Nov 9, 2019
  4. Nomgle Win User

USB External Drives (both flash and HDD's) weird icons and names (Latest CU BUG)

Two bugs in GPU-Z - icon and version number

Adding my name to the list of people with weird missing icon problems *Smile USB External Drives (both flash and HDD's) weird icons and names (Latest CU BUG) :)

Nomgle, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

USB External Drives (both flash and HDD's) weird icons and names (Latest CU BUG)

1. USB External Drives (both flash and HDD's) weird icons and names (Latest CU BUG) - Similar Threads - USB External Drives

2. substitute USB Flash Drive with USB external SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    substitute USB Flash Drive with USB external SSD?: Can this be done to create Windows install media? Thanks! *Smile 167579
  3. External Flash Drives and HDD's are getting strange names and icons.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Flash Drives and HDD's are getting strange names and icons.: Since the installation of the latest CU (KB4522355), any external hard drive or flash drive is getting a strange icon. Also, instead of being recognized as what they are in "Devices and Printers", they are recognized as "Device". They are also called "Device" on the bottom...
  4. USB Flash Drive Icon Incorrect

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Flash Drive Icon Incorrect: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/HuntersPad [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dt5g2q/usb_flash_drive_icon_incorrect/
  5. how to clone hdd to usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    how to clone hdd to usb flash drive: Hi All, Hope this is the right tread.. A few years back I got some great help here on installing new drive, I have a Lenovo All in one PC and time to upgrade to a bigger drive, has any one done this on an All in one pc, if so how? Last time I did this if I recall I bought...
  6. how to clone hdd to usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to clone hdd to usb flash drive: Hi All, Hope this is the right tread.. A few years back I got some great help here on installing new drive, I have a Lenovo All in one PC and time to upgrade to a bigger drive, has any one done this on an All in one pc, if so how? Last time I did this if I recall I bought...
  7. No access on HDD's and USB flash drives

No access on HDD's and USB flash drives: Hello. Because i do not know if there is a specific term for the problem i'm facing with access, to look for possible solutions, i open this thread and forgive me if there is already a thread with the same problem. I do not have access to any of the extra hard disks and...
  8. No access on HDD's and USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Support
    No access on HDD's and USB flash drives: Hello. Because i do not know if there is a specific term for the problem i'm facing with access, to look for possible solutions, i open this thread and forgive me if there is already a thread with the same problem. I do not have access to any of the extra hard disks and...
  9. HDD seen as USB flash drive

HDD seen as USB flash drive: I have inserted in my Win10 64bit PC, an HDD drive (physically), beside the old one, where I have OS installed. Everything is ok, except that my OS see this new HDD as USB stick, right down in system tray, as USB flash drive, and I can eject it by there ... which is not ok. I...
  10. CU supports multiple partitions on a standard USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CU supports multiple partitions on a standard USB Flash Drive: A little advertised change is that Windows 10 will now access multiple partitions on a standard usb flash drive. Previously you had to have a special flash drive with the hard disk bit set. I am currently using wintousb 3.5 to create a bootable UEFI windows usb drive which...