Windows 10: USB external hard drive not working on new laptop

Discus and support USB external hard drive not working on new laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have a Toshiba external hard drive that I use just to back up some pictures, documents, etc. I've always used this with my laptop without issue. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jakeBabinsack, Jan 24, 2019.

1. USB external hard drive not working on new laptop

So I have a Toshiba external hard drive that I use just to back up some pictures, documents, etc. I've always used this with my laptop without issue. I recently got a new Dell laptop running windows 10 and every time I plug the hard drive in it just says that the USB device is not recognized.

I have tried going to the device manager and uninstalling the specific device, unplugging it, waiting a few minutes and plugging it in and this has allowed me to connect to it and see all my files and everything once or twice but 99% of the time it just gives me the USB device not recognized message. I have tried to update the driver through the device manager and clicked both to search online and to check windows update but both ways just tell me that the drivers are up to date or that I have the correct driver for this.

I know nothing has happened to the external hard drive or anything because if I take it and plug it into the older laptop that I used to use it works completely like normal.

Any help on how I can get this to work on my newer laptop please??

:)

jakeBabinsack, Jan 24, 2019
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Dec 16, 2019
  3. USB external hard drive not working on new laptop

So I have a Toshiba external hard drive that I use just to back up some pictures, documents, etc. I've always used this with my laptop without issue. I recently got a new Dell laptop running windows 10 and every time I plug the hard drive in it just says
    that the USB device is not recognized.

I have tried going to the device manager and uninstalling the specific device, unplugging it, waiting a few minutes and plugging it in and this has allowed me to connect to it and see all my files and everything once or twice but 99% of the time it just
    gives me the USB device not recognized message. I have tried to update the driver through the device manager and clicked both to search online and to check windows update but both ways just tell me that the drivers are up to date or that I have the correct
    driver for this.

I know nothing has happened to the external hard drive or anything because if I take it and plug it into the older laptop that I used to use it works completely like normal.

Any help on how I can get this to work on my newer laptop please??

jakeBabinsack, Dec 16, 2019
  4. CERogers Win User

USB external hard drive not working on new laptop

Can not back up to new external hard drive

• Thank you for the reply. I have two USB ports on my laptop and have tried using them both. According to my device manager, both ports along with the external hard drive are working properly.
    • I did try the troubleshooter several times and no issues were detected.
    • Although I have not had any issues with the internal hard drive on my laptop, I did try performing a check disk via the chkdsk command you suggested, then restarted my computer. Once the computer checked the internal hard disk and started, I tried to access
      the file history on my control panel again with the external hard drive plugged into the usb port and it still shows no usable drives were found.
    • I have also unchecked the box labeled "hide empty drives" under the file explorer and that doesn't work either.

CERogers, Dec 16, 2019
Thema:

USB external hard drive not working on new laptop

1. USB external hard drive not working on new laptop - Similar Threads - USB external hard

2. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive not working: I have a 5TB seagate external hard drive, I damaged the pcb usb port and got a replacement and everything works just fine. I'm trying to set up my external storage drive. I plugged it in, noise comes on that it is plugged into the computer, the enclosure power light is on and...
  3. external hard drive connected by usb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive connected by usb: How do I get windows file explorer to recognize a 500 giga bite hard drive connected by USB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-connected-by-usb/57ede349-6ed9-4cb0-bf8d-d9d999cf1157
  4. USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive: I'm having a hard time finding which USB ports on my laptop and its dock are v3 or v2 (or less possibly), but when I tried two different ports (I think one is v3), they both seemed to transfer at about 150KBps... which seems slow even for USB v2. I'm copying files from an...
  5. External USB hard drive not showing

External USB hard drive not showing: Hello, I got a laptop, which I bought only last month and I decided to plug my external hard drive in. Everything was going fine for a while, until a couple of day later when my laptop refused to recognise my USB drive. I spent hours updating the BIOS, updating windows,...
  6. USB external hard drive not migrating

USB external hard drive not migrating: Ok i have looked and tried every solution that I can find. My external hard drive- NAND USB2DISK USB Device is showing as Not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. I have done the device manager step, it shows up however states it is running properly and no updates are...
  7. New laptop and older external hard drive

New laptop and older external hard drive: My new Dell laptop with Win 10 does not recognize my older USB external hard drive... It will show up in Devices and Printers sometimes, but with no useable info .. how can I get new laptop to connect with old hard drive ?...
  8. USB not recognizing external hard drive

USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...
  9. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    external hard drive not working: my external hard drive is not working and idk how to fix it, it is detected it just doesn't do anything... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-not-working/65f9db49-d585-48c4-b39c-5f14565207ca
  10. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. external hdd not working on new laptop