Windows 10: USB File transfer speed drops to 0 bytes and goes back up to normal multiple times

Discus and support USB File transfer speed drops to 0 bytes and goes back up to normal multiple times in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I just bought a new Kingston USB flash drive and when I tried it I noticed that when copying a file from the laptop to it file transfer speed keeps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AhmedBasha1, Dec 3, 2019.

1. USB File transfer speed drops to 0 bytes and goes back up to normal multiple times

Hi, I just bought a new Kingston USB flash drive and when I tried it I noticed that when copying a file from the laptop to it file transfer speed keeps reducing to zero and freezes then goes back to the normal transfer speed and I tried it on a different laptop and I had the same issue. I searched for a fix to the problem but I came empty-handed and I need to know if the problem is in the flash drive or not so I can return it

The USB is 3.0 and I am connecting it to a 3.0 USB port. I made it on better performance from device manager but it didn't change anything the problem remains the same

An image shows the transfer, and when copying large files it makes the transfer take longer time than it should take

USB File transfer speed drops to 0 bytes and goes back up to normal multiple times 8a1cd04c-d857-4a74-aac3-aae23b23883e?upload=true.jpg

:)

AhmedBasha1, Dec 3, 2019
  2. alecm3 Win User

USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT defective.

I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with two USB 3.0 ports. I connect a Seagate expansion drive to the left USB port and transfer a 4GB test file. It transfers about 1GB at 150MB/s and then transfer speed drops to 0. Then it picks up again after 3-4minutes, then
    drops again intermittently.

I connect the same Seagate drive to the right USB port. The same 4GB file transfers with a constant speed of approximately 150MB/s. Thus the Seagate drive is not defective. Perhaps the left USB port is defective.

I connect a Sandisk 128GB flash drive to the left USB port (that is now suspected defective). It transfers the same 4GB file with constant 130MB/s speed, no speed drops!

Each step is reproducible 10x.

I am out of my wits here.

alecm3, Dec 3, 2019
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly

Long shot.

Plug in the USB thumb you normally use, the erratic one. In My PC, make a note of it's drive letter. Eject it.

On the machine in question, the one that is acting weird, go to Device manager.

Click Portable Devices. Look for that drive letter and uninstall (right click>uninstall device) any and all occurrences of it.

Plug the thumb drive back in. Windows will reinstall the driver/device.

Try your operation that was running weird with the fluctuating speeds.

USB File transfer speed drops to 0 bytes and goes back up to normal multiple times [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Dec 3, 2019
  4. USB File transfer speed drops to 0 bytes and goes back up to normal multiple times

transfer speed drops after few second

yes i did to many times usb ports updated with new version long time ago USB File transfer speed drops to 0 bytes and goes back up to normal multiple times :) iam do not have antivirus USB File transfer speed drops to 0 bytes and goes back up to normal multiple times :)

iam search where can be problem but i cant find answer USB File transfer speed drops to 0 bytes and goes back up to normal multiple times :) iam thnk is not normal because ssd disk speed starts 400mbps and drops untill 90mbps USB File transfer speed drops to 0 bytes and goes back up to normal multiple times :) a lot guys have same issue with windows 10 . anyway thank you for your help

RuslanKolomijec, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

USB File transfer speed drops to 0 bytes and goes back up to normal multiple times

1. USB File transfer speed drops to 0 bytes and goes back up to normal multiple times - Similar Threads - USB File transfer

2. Transfer speeds drops!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer speeds drops!!!: Starts off at 500mb/s, then drops to 300-400 which is understandable. But problem is when after it is at half, it drops drastically to 40mb/s and fluctuates there between 30 to 90. I am using 512 gb nvme m2 ssd. windows 10. and i am transferring those files from C drive to D...
  3. Transfer speeds drops!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer speeds drops!!!: Starts off at 500mb/s, then drops to 300-400 which is understandable. But problem is when after it is at half, it drops drastically to 40mb/s and fluctuates there between 30 to 90. I am using 512 gb nvme m2 ssd. windows 10. and i am transferring those files from C drive to D...
  4. Transfer speeds drops!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. HDD write speed periodically drops to 0 while copying - is this normal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD write speed periodically drops to 0 while copying - is this normal?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/racarete [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i44gct/hdd_write_speed_periodically_drops_to_0_while/
  6. File transfer of many files slows to 0 bytes after over an hour of transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File transfer of many files slows to 0 bytes after over an hour of transfer: what the title says; I can confirm the files aren't corrupted and aren't system files. I'm transferring hundreds of gigabytes of data. I'm suffering from severe stress and anxiety, and it's very important to me that this goes smoothly the next time I attempt it. Please help....
  7. Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly: Hi everyone, I have recently realized my laptop MSI P65 8RF is having a weird behaviour when transfering files or deleting files to/from my flash drives (Kingston Datatraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 128 GB and Kingston Datatraveler Rubber 3.0 32 gb) it happens that it reaches top...
  8. Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly

in Windows 10 Support
    Flash drives File transfer speed drops to 0 regularly: Hi everyone, I have recently realized my laptop MSI P65 8RF is having a weird behaviour when transfering files or deleting files to/from my flash drives (Kingston Datatraveler Ultimate 3.0 G3 128 GB and Kingston Datatraveler Rubber 3.0 32 gb) it happens that it reaches top...
  9. USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...: I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with two USB 3.0 ports. I connect a Seagate expansion drive to the left USB port and transfer a 4GB test file. It transfers about 1GB at 150MB/s and then transfer speed drops to 0. Then it picks up again after 3-4minutes, then drops again...
  10. Strange 0 byte files

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange 0 byte files: I'm curious what these files are that are on some of my internal HD's partitions. The file name is a random (apparently) string of characters, 'type of file: file', 'size: 0 bytes', 'owner: system'. What are these? Do I need them? 52090

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hard disk copy speed falling to 0% fix

2. hdd copying file at 0 bytes for a few moments when copying large files

3. usb transfer speed dropping to zero

4. usb file transfer keeps 0 bytes,
  5. usb drive 0 bytes transfer