Windows 10: USB flash drive gets hot

Discus and support USB flash drive gets hot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Why does my Sandisk Ultra 3.0 drive get hot while using MCT? The original Windows 10 retail read-only USB drive doesn't heat up that much during... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Keith Weisshar, Nov 3, 2019.

1. USB flash drive gets hot

Why does my Sandisk Ultra 3.0 drive get hot while using MCT? The original Windows 10 retail read-only USB drive doesn't heat up that much during Windows 10 installation. How much amperage does the Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 drive use and how much does the original Windows 10 USB flash drive use?

:)

Keith Weisshar, Nov 3, 2019
  2. zbook Win User

install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive

This is a method to make a ntfs flash drive.

The trial and error step will be booting using Legacy BIOS...

Code:
    This is the link:
    Guide: How to Format USB Flash Drive Using Cmd - EaseUS

The link did not use active so that is why it is a trial and error step.

zbook, Nov 3, 2019
  3. USB Flash drive made bootable

Hi Nelson,

Check if there is any slide switch on the side that provides write protection. It show's a closed and open lock on each side. We suggest to follow these steps below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the
      Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then press
      OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select NTFS in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

You can also connect the USB drive on a different computer and try formatting.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Nov 3, 2019
  4. USB flash drive gets hot

No way to eject USB flash drive / hot swap...

I recently noticed a new problem with my Windows 10 x64: the Safely Remove Hardware icon is missing from the system tray. It always used to be there.

In the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" settings, I have "Windows Explorer, Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" switched to on. Makes no difference. I followed instructions to run "RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll", which
    does open the Safely Remove Hardware window, but the only hardware devices listed are two Asmedia 106x SATA Controllers. No USB flash drive [even though it is plugged in and not safely ejected]... I don't think this should be the case.

So apparently there is now no safe way for me to remove a USB flash drive, without shutting down or restarting the computer. Not very convenient. I also have an external USB 3.0 hard drive I use for backups that I like to be able to switch off. No longer
    possible to safely turn off.

I also have hot swap bays in my machine, and a hot swappable hard drive. I have been using a free program called "HotSwap!" to eject USB devices as well as hot swap the hard drive occasionally. That no longer works either. The icon is in the system tray
    as always, but now every time I request a hot swap, I receive a message stating, "The device XYZ cannot be uninstalled right now because the device requested a system restart." Never used to say that. Now always says that whether for an external USB device
    or the hot swappable hard drive.

I have not changed my USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and Root Hub drivers. Those are the appropriate ASMedia drivers, not the generic Microsoft drivers. I have hot swap enabled in the BIOS. None of this has changed... Yet now, I cannot safely remove
    anything.

I think I have somehow developed a corrupt driver installation, even though I haven't seen any warnings or error messages prior to all of this. And I don't see any problems in Device Manager now. How can identify the driver that is causing a
    problem, and then rectify it?

Is there anything else I can do to restore the "safely remove" and "hot swap" functionality? I don't understand what has changed to make none of this work...

Thanks for any info / advice!

Oxonsi_921, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

USB flash drive gets hot

1. USB flash drive gets hot - Similar Threads - USB flash drive

2. Burning Hot USB Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Burning Hot USB Drive: I recently bought a gaming computer but the SSD wasn't big enough. I bought a new SSD and a copy of Windows 11 in a USB drive. When I went to the BIOs and got to the boot menu it stated "The system cannot find any bootable devices." I then turned off my computer and pulled...
  3. Burning Hot USB Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Burning Hot USB Drive: I recently bought a gaming computer but the SSD wasn't big enough. I bought a new SSD and a copy of Windows 11 in a USB drive. When I went to the BIOs and got to the boot menu it stated "The system cannot find any bootable devices." I then turned off my computer and pulled...
  4. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  5. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  6. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB flash drive: How do you find the flash drive for windows 10? I have looked until I can't look anymore, and spent nearly 5 hours doing it to no avail. When I put in a flash drive with windows 7, a window used to come up, now it doesn't! I thought windows 10 was supposed to be easier but...
  7. usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb flash drive: I have a problem regarding my USB, [ATTACH]I can't see storage space and have formatted several times. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-flash-drive/8477fb10-4dc5-4265-97ca-392c395a972e
  8. USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Flash Drive: How do I back up my microsoft photos to the USB drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-flash-drive/a0206f3a-49e2-4d2e-80ce-566fe8aba1ba
  9. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  10. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: usually, when I insert a cd/dvd in my laptop, it usually asks how I want to use it, and gives 2 options: like a USB flash drive or with CD/DVD drive. I just need to see and read what's in it. which option is appropriate?...