USB flash drive help

Discus and support USB flash drive help in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Hi, its my first post. My problem is that my 128gb flash drive wont appear in windows 10 or any programs. It showed up in the Devices section of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joeypitatwinkes, Jun 10, 2018.

1. joeypitatwinkes Win User

Hi, its my first post. My problem is that my 128gb flash drive wont appear in windows 10 or any programs. It showed up in the Devices section of the control panel, but said there was a problem with the USB mass storage device driver. I reinstalled the mass storage, and it says its working properly, but the drive still wont show anywhere else. Disk management, fresh windows install, fresh linux install, boot repair cd, recovery programs, different ports and hubs, etc nothing. No problems with any other drives.

The only place it appears is in my pc bios, if i press f9 to get the boot options, and select 'boot from EFI file'. Then, I can see all of the folders and select them, but thats all I can do. My pc is a HP 2740p with windows 10.

What happened was I have a lot of files on the drive, but also had some free space, enough for a system backup, but while i was making the backup, there was an error and i dont think it completed. And the drive has been invisible ever since, except in the bios.

If I could find something that will read the drive like the bios does and let me copy the files to another drive, that'd be great. Either with windows or pre-boot. I need to get my files. I found 'Hirens boot cd' which has a bunch of drive tools on it but its not working for me.

The only other thing i know to try really is to try it in a Mac, hope it shows up and can at least recover the files with a program if it doesnt just appear in the finder. I thought I had bitlocker on it, but i guess it was off if i can browse the drive in the bios..i turned it off on the c drive to make a linux partition to see if it showed up there, but it didn't, same thing.

any other ideas?

:)

joeypitatwinkes, Jun 10, 2018
  2. regism Win User

How to create Windows 10 system image on a usb flash drive

Thanks Maria:

I made a system image on a USB flash drive using the tools available in Windows 10. I want to make this image bootable so that I can reinstall it on my computer from the same USB flash drive. Can I do this using the method you have suggested?

If not, can you or anyone else tell me how to do this?

Thanks again,

Regis

regism, Jun 10, 2018
  3. Santosh_Rai Win User
    Unable to use System restore from a windows 10 image on Windows 7 with error: "windows cannot find a system image-the usb drive is not visible"

Hi Otley,

Thanks for replying to us with the status of your issue.

As you mentioned, when you connect the USB flash drive in to the system then the System image backup is not present. It might occur if the System image files is not created properly or may be it got corrupted.

As an initial steps I suggest you to check for the memory space in the USB flash driver.

If the Memory is occupied in the USB flash drive the I suggest you to try running check disk on USB flash drive and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps to perform Check Disk.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.

• Select Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type the below commands.

Chkdsk [drive letter]: /f /r

Reply to us with the status of your issue, we will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jun 10, 2018
Thema:

USB flash drive help

USB flash drive help - Similar Threads - USB flash drive

1. USB flash drives 'drop off' consistently

in Windows 10 Support
    USB flash drives 'drop off' consistently: I have several flash drives, all 3.0 Cruzers of different sizes, plugged into an Anker powered USB hub. I can count on one if not most drives periodically (like every other day) no longer seen by the machine as reported by backup software failure notices. Open file explorer...
  2. won't boot into Windows 10 when USB flash drive is inserted

in Windows 10 Support
    won't boot into Windows 10 when USB flash drive is inserted: I have a used Thinkpad SL510 purchased on eBay. It came with Window 7 Pro. It is an older laptop so no UEFI. I immediately did a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro 1803 64-bit. I managed to find all the drivers for it, and there are no problems in Device Manager. Windows...
  3. Windows Defender real time scanning problem with USB flash drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Defender real time scanning problem with USB flash drives?: Has anybody else had any issues when using USB flash drives with antivirus real time scanning? Today I was putting my flash drive back to factory settings using Diskpart. Everything went as expected until after I completed the full format to FAT32. The last line in Diskpart I...
  4. HDD seen as USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    HDD seen as USB flash drive: I have inserted in my Win10 64bit PC, an HDD drive (physically), beside the old one, where I have OS installed. Everything is ok, except that my OS see this new HDD as USB stick, right down in system tray, as USB flash drive, and I can eject it by there ... which is not ok. I...
  5. USB flash drive not seen by file managers at start up

in Windows 10 Support
    USB flash drive not seen by file managers at start up: When I start my desktop computer with a USB flash drive inserted in either of the case's top front two USB 3.0 slots, neither Windows Explorer nor XYplorer (my main file mgr) recognize it, even after refreshing. But after pulling it out and reinserting, they do. How do I go...
  6. USB flash drive problem

in Windows 10 Support
    USB flash drive problem: I purchased a flash drive to use as ReadyBoost, and I had it set and know it was working. I removed and when I plugged it back in, went to Properties/ReadyBoost tab it shows the error message attached. The hub I an using is 2.0 so I don't know what this means. [img] 103195
  7. Is there a way to create bootable USB flash drive and use extra space

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to create bootable USB flash drive and use extra space: @, Thank you. What is WinPESE? Is this the name of your Windows Environment with tools? Yes, that is the reference
USB flash drive help solved