Windows 10: USB flash drive help

Discus and support USB flash drive help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, its my first post. My problem is that my 128gb flash drive wont appear in windows 10 or any programs. It showed up in the Devices section of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joeypitatwinkes, Jun 10, 2018.

1. USB flash drive help

Hi, its my first post. My problem is that my 128gb flash drive wont appear in windows 10 or any programs. It showed up in the Devices section of the control panel, but said there was a problem with the USB mass storage device driver. I reinstalled the mass storage, and it says its working properly, but the drive still wont show anywhere else. Disk management, fresh windows install, fresh linux install, boot repair cd, recovery programs, different ports and hubs, etc nothing. No problems with any other drives.

The only place it appears is in my pc bios, if i press f9 to get the boot options, and select 'boot from EFI file'. Then, I can see all of the folders and select them, but thats all I can do. My pc is a HP 2740p with windows 10.

What happened was I have a lot of files on the drive, but also had some free space, enough for a system backup, but while i was making the backup, there was an error and i dont think it completed. And the drive has been invisible ever since, except in the bios.

If I could find something that will read the drive like the bios does and let me copy the files to another drive, that'd be great. Either with windows or pre-boot. I need to get my files. I found 'Hirens boot cd' which has a bunch of drive tools on it but its not working for me.

The only other thing i know to try really is to try it in a Mac, hope it shows up and can at least recover the files with a program if it doesnt just appear in the finder. I thought I had bitlocker on it, but i guess it was off if i can browse the drive in the bios..i turned it off on the c drive to make a linux partition to see if it showed up there, but it didn't, same thing.

any other ideas?

:)

joeypitatwinkes, Jun 10, 2018
  2. regism Win User

How to create Windows 10 system image on a usb flash drive

Thanks Maria:

I made a system image on a USB flash drive using the tools available in Windows 10. I want to make this image bootable so that I can reinstall it on my computer from the same USB flash drive. Can I do this using the method you have suggested?

If not, can you or anyone else tell me how to do this?

Thanks again,

Regis

regism, Jun 10, 2018
  3. Unable to use System restore from a windows 10 image on Windows 7 with error: "windows cannot find a system image-the usb drive is not visible"

Hi Otley,

Thanks for replying to us with the status of your issue.

As you mentioned, when you connect the USB flash drive in to the system then the System image backup is not present. It might occur if the System image files is not created properly or may be it got corrupted.

As an initial steps I suggest you to check for the memory space in the USB flash driver.

If the Memory is occupied in the USB flash drive the I suggest you to try running check disk on USB flash drive and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps to perform Check Disk.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.

• Select Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type the below commands.

Chkdsk [drive letter]: /f /r

Reply to us with the status of your issue, we will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jun 10, 2018
Thema:

USB flash drive help

1. USB flash drive help - Similar Threads - USB flash drive

2. Help with USB Flash Drive playing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with USB Flash Drive playing: I want to watch a musical that is on a USB. There are 2 acts. Act I plays fine, Act II starts but then 6 seconds in it stops. How do I get Act II to play? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-with-usb-flash-drive-playing/62c49a05-8c7f-4d2e-8b48-01116d2212ce
  3. Help with USB Flash Drive playing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with USB Flash Drive playing: I want to watch a musical that is on a USB. There are 2 acts. Act I plays fine, Act II starts but then 6 seconds in it stops. How do I get Act II to play? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-with-usb-flash-drive-playing/62c49a05-8c7f-4d2e-8b48-01116d2212ce
  4. Access denied to usb flash drive - Help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access denied to usb flash drive - Help!: Trying to access new Sandisk flash drive on laptop but error message access denied you have no permission. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-denied-to-usb-flash-drive-help/37e9b2a8-1bc6-4a08-801b-86240bcc0f27
  5. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  6. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  7. usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb flash drive: I have a problem regarding my USB, [ATTACH]I can't see storage space and have formatted several times. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-flash-drive/8477fb10-4dc5-4265-97ca-392c395a972e
  8. USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Flash Drive: How do I back up my microsoft photos to the USB drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-flash-drive/a0206f3a-49e2-4d2e-80ce-566fe8aba1ba
  9. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  10. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: usually, when I insert a cd/dvd in my laptop, it usually asks how I want to use it, and gives 2 options: like a USB flash drive or with CD/DVD drive. I just need to see and read what's in it. which option is appropriate?...