Windows 10: USB flash drive not recognized unless assigned a drive letter; Win 10

Discus and support USB flash drive not recognized unless assigned a drive letter; Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My Lexar 256GB flash drive had been assigned the lowest drive letter by Win 10. I experimented by performing a low level format. Now the drive is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TonyCzar, Apr 10, 2021.

1. TonyCzar Win User

USB flash drive not recognized unless assigned a drive letter; Win 10

My Lexar 256GB flash drive had been assigned the lowest drive letter by Win 10. I experimented by performing a low level format. Now the drive is not assigned a letter when inserted and does not show up in File Manager. If I assign a drive letter using Disk Manager, it shows up. I know this works, but is there a way I can get this back to not needing an assigned drive letter?

:)

TonyCzar, Apr 10, 2021
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Apr 10, 2021
  3. help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

maybe your USB drive is trying to assign a drive letter that is already taken.

goto

start > control panel > administrative tools > computer manager > disk manager

find your USB drive and assign is a drive letter

cjoyce1980, Apr 10, 2021
  4. Don Camp Win User

USB drive letter assignments

Long-winded background:

I have a USB flash drive that I assigned to drive D: in Disk Management. Occasionally when I'm not thinking, I plug it in when another external drive is connected and already assigned D: by Windows. The flash drive then gets reassigned as E:. I know I
    can switch it back to D: in Disk Management, but frankly my original reason for assigning a fixed letter is not such a big deal anymore. Is there a way to "undo" fixed letter assignments? I'd like to just let the drive float again.

TL;DR:

Once you assign a fixed drive letter in Disk Management, is there a way to "undo" and let the drive assignment float again?

Don Camp, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

1. USB flash drive not recognized unless assigned a drive letter; Win 10 - Similar Threads - USB flash drive

2. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  3. Problem permanently assigning drive letters to flash disks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem permanently assigning drive letters to flash disks: I have two flash disks of the exact same brand and size (128GB each, formatted as exFAT). I have a problem in that when I insert either of them in a USB port, it's assigned a drive letter which may not be what I would like. Ideally I want each flash disk to be always assigned...
  4. stop win assigning usb drive letter

stop win assigning usb drive letter: How do I stop windows from assigning drive letters to unused USB ports? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-win-assigning-usb-drive-letter/442d12f1-8165-4317-88ec-301d7d12c2fb
  5. Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized: I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message about running out of space on the drive. I formatted the drive and that appeared to be successful, then tried to use it...
  6. Windows 10 will not assign a drive letter when connecting a USB Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 will not assign a drive letter when connecting a USB Drive: As in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-will-not-assign-a-drive-letter-when/a12d4cb5-5c9c-4c2e-8a37-37eb2da48a47 Virtual disk service is started, diskpart automount is enabled, and still Windows does not assign a letter automatically when a...
  7. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  8. Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives

Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives: Hi, I run a backup script to different USB drives at different times. The backup script always needs to see the same drive letter for the USB drive (whichever USB drive is being used). I know you can run compmgmt.msc, select Disk Management and then click 'Change...
  9. USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent

USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent: I have a removable USB HDD that I use for second-level backups. I plug it in to my system only for this purpose. Almost every time I plug it in, I have to use Administrative Tools to re-assign a drive letter. Is there anything else I should be doing so that Windows keeps that...
  10. USB flash drive --assign drive letter back to dynamic from static

USB flash drive --assign drive letter back to dynamic from static: Hi, I have a USB flash drive that the Media Creation Tool messed up when it was formatting it to create installation media. Ive worked out how to fix the flash drive. I just have to use disk management to create a new simple volume on it, I then have no option but to assign...