Windows 10: USB Flash Drive Problem... or ?

Discus and support USB Flash Drive Problem... or ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I picked up a Hama brand 128Gb USB2 drive a couple of weeks ago from a reputable component supplier. The drive was retail packaged and I have no doubts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mooly, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Mooly Win User

USB Flash Drive Problem... or ?

I picked up a Hama brand 128Gb USB2 drive a couple of weeks ago from a reputable component supplier. The drive was retail packaged and I have no doubts over its authenticity.

When used on my Dell i5 laptop running W10 insider builds I find the drive freezes when transferring normal types of files (music, pictures etc). Not just freezing, it also locks the PC (not responding) and even prevents it shutting down.

The default formatting is exFAT. I tried NTFS and a quick format took 20 minutes after which it reported only some 66 Gb free, in other words around one half.

The drive was exchanged by the retailer, however the replacement is the same.

Next I try it on my W8.1 Acer laptop and find that while it doesn't freeze in quite the same way, the file transfer still stalls and takes ages and ages. It goes in spurts transferring maybe 10 files at a very low speed (kB) and then stops for perhaps 20 seconds before doing a few more.

A Sony Android TV also fails to even recognise the drive when asked to use it for recording, and Sony specifically say in one document that speed is not an important parameter for that application.

All my other drives (SanDisk, Lexar and Peak etc) all work as expected.

Any thoughts. Is there anything intrinsically poor compatibility wise about high capacity flash drives? I've used 64Gb before and had absolutely no issues.

USB Flash Drive Problem... or ? [​IMG]

:)

Mooly, Sep 13, 2019
  2. zbook Win User

install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive

This is a method to make a ntfs flash drive.

The trial and error step will be booting using Legacy BIOS...

Code:
    Code:
    diskpart  list disk  select disk W  (change W to the disk # for the flash drive)  clean  create partition primary  format fs=ntfs  assign  exit
    This is the link:
    Guide: How to Format USB Flash Drive Using Cmd - EaseUS

The link did not use active so that is why it is a trial and error step.

zbook, Sep 13, 2019
  3. USB Flash drive made bootable

Hi Nelson,

Check if there is any slide switch on the side that provides write protection. It show's a closed and open lock on each side. We suggest to follow these steps below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the
      Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then press
      OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select NTFS in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

You can also connect the USB drive on a different computer and try formatting.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Sep 13, 2019
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Sep 13, 2019
Thema:

1. USB Flash Drive Problem... or ? - Similar Threads - USB Flash Drive

2. Windows 10, USB Flash Drive Problem.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10, USB Flash Drive Problem.: Hello, I need help. I have the problem shown in the pictures. I can't use the USB flash drive also tried plugging in another port but same problem. I have used another USB flash drive but still have the same problem. DVD and CD have the same problem.Thank you for your...
  3. Windows 10, USB Flash Drive Problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10, USB Flash Drive Problem.: Hello, I need help. I have the problem shown in the pictures. I can't use the USB flash drive also tried plugging in another port but same problem. I have used another USB flash drive but still have the same problem. DVD and CD have the same problem.Thank you for your...
  4. Windows 10, USB Flash Drive Problem.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. problem with usb flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem with usb flash drives: Hello, it's been since this morning that I've been experiencing this problem with my pc. After taking a USB stick from a friend to get some files, I started to notice a strange behavior from the pc. Every time I insert a USB stick, two things happen: first, the device window...
  6. problem with usb flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem with usb flash drives: Hello, it's been since this morning that I've been experiencing this problem with my pc. After taking a USB stick from a friend to get some files, I started to notice a strange behavior from the pc. Every time I insert a USB stick, two things happen: first, the device window...
  7. USB flash drives problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drives problem: Here's an odd one! I put a flash drive in the PC today and the files on it showed as info I know that's not on it. In fact, it contains Windows install files I made just the other day and then used it for a clean installation. Then I formatted the drive but it still showed...
  8. USB Flash Drive Problem

USB Flash Drive Problem: Hey guys, So, I have this 8 GB USB Flash Drive which is completely empty, no hidden files/folders, nothing. But it says that around 1 GB is used - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Why is that? Can I free up that memory? Not that it's very important, but I...
  9. USB flash drive problem

USB flash drive problem: I purchased a flash drive to use as ReadyBoost, and I had it set and know it was working. I removed and when I plugged it back in, went to Properties/ReadyBoost tab it shows the error message attached. The hub I an using is 2.0 so I don't know what this means. [img] 103195
  10. USB Flash Drive UEFI problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Flash Drive UEFI problem: Hello Tenforums.com No matter what I do, my Lenovo Flex 2-14 doesn't seem to recognise my USB as an UEFI Windows bootable flash device, despite following this guide https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html (Option 2), step by step. I am using a Verbatim...