Windows 10: USB Flash Drive Problems Since October Update

Discus and support USB Flash Drive Problems Since October Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Having ongoing problems with usb 3.0 flash drive after most recent windows 10 update. Occurring on multiple computers that have been updated. In some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tomel, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Tomel Win User

USB Flash Drive Problems Since October Update

Having ongoing problems with usb 3.0 flash drive after most recent windows 10 update. Occurring on multiple computers that have been updated.

In some cases, the USB drive is not being recognized at all. In other cases, it's being recognized but the cursor freezes. Pulling out the flash drive and putting it back several times ultimately seems to solve the problem. Doesn't matter whether using different ports on a USB hub or plugging directly into the computer -- same result. In some cases, these are brand new drives. Most are 3.0 or 3.1 drives though some are older 2.0 drives.

Before the October update, never had a problem using any ports or any flash drives.

:)

Tomel, Dec 2, 2018

2. USB Flash drive made bootable

Hi Nelson,

Check if there is any slide switch on the side that provides write protection. It show's a closed and open lock on each side. We suggest to follow these steps below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the
      Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then press
      OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select NTFS in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

You can also connect the USB drive on a different computer and try formatting.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Dec 2, 2018
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Dec 2, 2018
  4. USB Flash Drive Problems Since October Update

USB Drive no longer recognized by Windows 10 since last update

Hi Cathie,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As per the description I understand that you are unable to backup Quicken files on the USB flash drive after the latest update.

Do let us know the following to understand the issue and assist you better:

• Which was the latest update had been installed on your device?
    • Is the flash drive detected on your operating system?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have performed while trying to resolve this issue?
    • Is the flash drive being detected on any other device?

As a workaround, I suggest you to connect the flash drive to different USB ports and check if it is detected.

Step 1: I suggest you to Run Hardware troubleshooter as it will help in resolving the issues with hardware and resolve any simple issues found.

• Press Windows
      key from the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select it.

• Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.

• Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.

• Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates after upgrade to Windows 10.

• Connect to the internet.

• Press Windows
      key and type updates.

• Click on Check for updates.

• Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.

• Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

USB Flash Drive Problems Since October Update

1. USB Flash Drive Problems Since October Update - Similar Threads - USB Flash Drive

2. problem with usb flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem with usb flash drives: Hello, it's been since this morning that I've been experiencing this problem with my pc. After taking a USB stick from a friend to get some files, I started to notice a strange behavior from the pc. Every time I insert a USB stick, two things happen: first, the device window...
  3. problem with usb flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem with usb flash drives: Hello, it's been since this morning that I've been experiencing this problem with my pc. After taking a USB stick from a friend to get some files, I started to notice a strange behavior from the pc. Every time I insert a USB stick, two things happen: first, the device window...
  4. USB flash drives problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drives problem: Here's an odd one! I put a flash drive in the PC today and the files on it showed as info I know that's not on it. In fact, it contains Windows install files I made just the other day and then used it for a clean installation. Then I formatted the drive but it still showed...
  5. USB Flash Drive Problem... or ?

USB Flash Drive Problem... or ?: I picked up a Hama brand 128Gb USB2 drive a couple of weeks ago from a reputable component supplier. The drive was retail packaged and I have no doubts over its authenticity. When used on my Dell i5 laptop running W10 insider builds I find the drive freezes when transferring...
  6. No Windows Updates Since October

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Windows Updates Since October: I thought it was odd that i hadn't been able to update anything in ages. so i googled to see if anyone else had this issue & google almost blew up lol. i saw people having issues with files getting deleted, & many other things. i never NOTICED anything getting deleted but 99%...
  7. USB Flash Drive Problems Since October Update

USB Flash Drive Problems Since October Update: Having ongoing problems with usb 3.0 flash drive after most recent windows 10 update. Occurring on multiple computers that have been updated. In some cases, the USB drive is not being recognized at all. In other cases, it's being recognized but the cursor freezes. Pulling...
  8. USB Flash Drive Problem

USB Flash Drive Problem: Hey guys, So, I have this 8 GB USB Flash Drive which is completely empty, no hidden files/folders, nothing. But it says that around 1 GB is used - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Why is that? Can I free up that memory? Not that it's very important, but I...
  9. USB flash drive problem

USB flash drive problem: I purchased a flash drive to use as ReadyBoost, and I had it set and know it was working. I removed and when I plugged it back in, went to Properties/ReadyBoost tab it shows the error message attached. The hub I an using is 2.0 so I don't know what this means. [img] 103195
  10. USB Flash Drive UEFI problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Flash Drive UEFI problem: Hello Tenforums.com No matter what I do, my Lenovo Flex 2-14 doesn't seem to recognise my USB as an UEFI Windows bootable flash device, despite following this guide https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html (Option 2), step by step. I am using a Verbatim...