Windows 10: USB flash drives 'drop off' consistently

Discus and support USB flash drives 'drop off' consistently in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have several flash drives, all 3.0 Cruzers of different sizes, plugged into an Anker powered USB hub. I can count on one if not most drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by markg2, Jun 4, 2018.

1. markg2 Win User

USB flash drives 'drop off' consistently

I have several flash drives, all 3.0 Cruzers of different sizes, plugged into an Anker powered USB hub. I can count on one if not most drives periodically (like every other day) no longer seen by the machine as reported by backup software failure notices. Open file explorer and the drive is indeed not present. Unpluging the power/data lines to the hub does not resolve. I have to physically unplug a Cruzer and plug it back in and then, voila, the machine sees the drive. And then we go around again. This has been going on for a couple of years. I've replaced the Anker hub under warranty to no avail. I'm 'almost' sure that I tried plugging a drive directly into the machine with similar results but to be certain would have to test again.

I'm wondering if there isn't a utility that will constantly read/write gibberish to the drives(s) thinking that if they stay active all the time they won't go off and get lost?

Mark

:)

markg2, Jun 4, 2018

2. USB Flash drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please answer this question to understand the situation better,

1. Are you getting any error code or message when you are trying to backup file?

Try connecting USB flash drive to a different USB port and check.

If the issue still persists, here are a few steps you can follow.

Hardware and devices troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    Also, I would suggest you to refer the link to set up a driver for file history and check if the issue persists.

Set up a drive for File History

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

If you receive any errors or if anything goes wrong in file history, please refer What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Reply us if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help you.

Anup Karkal, Jun 4, 2018
  3. regism Win User
    How to create Windows 10 system image on a usb flash drive

Thanks Maria:

I made a system image on a USB flash drive using the tools available in Windows 10. I want to make this image bootable so that I can reinstall it on my computer from the same USB flash drive. Can I do this using the method you have suggested?

If not, can you or anyone else tell me how to do this?

Thanks again,

Regis

regism, Jun 4, 2018
Thema:

USB flash drives 'drop off' consistently

1. USB flash drives 'drop off' consistently - Similar Threads - USB flash drives

2. Issue with USB Devices Consistently Shutting Off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issue with USB Devices Consistently Shutting Off: Hello,I have a problem with my PC and after digging through the internet over the last few months with no positive results to try and fix this problem. Randomly, all USB devices plugged into my PC will completely shut off and turn back on usually about 5-15 seconds before...
  3. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  4. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  5. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB flash drive: How do you find the flash drive for windows 10? I have looked until I can't look anymore, and spent nearly 5 hours doing it to no avail. When I put in a flash drive with windows 7, a window used to come up, now it doesn't! I thought windows 10 was supposed to be easier but...
  6. usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb flash drive: I have a problem regarding my USB, [ATTACH]I can't see storage space and have formatted several times. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-flash-drive/8477fb10-4dc5-4265-97ca-392c395a972e
  7. Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized: I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message about running out of space on the drive. I formatted the drive and that appeared to be successful, then tried to use it...
  8. USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Flash Drive: How do I back up my microsoft photos to the USB drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-flash-drive/a0206f3a-49e2-4d2e-80ce-566fe8aba1ba
  9. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  10. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: usually, when I insert a cd/dvd in my laptop, it usually asks how I want to use it, and gives 2 options: like a USB flash drive or with CD/DVD drive. I just need to see and read what's in it. which option is appropriate?...