Windows 10: USB Flash stick / portable hard drvies , is it only a myth?

Discus and support USB Flash stick / portable hard drvies , is it only a myth? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For years, from time to time, I have been hearing some people telling me that "If you don't "safely eject" the USB stick or portable hard drives" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tsw88, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Tsw88 Win User

USB Flash stick / portable hard drvies , is it only a myth?

For years, from time to time, I have been hearing some people telling me that "If you don't "safely eject" the USB stick or portable hard drives" and you only unplug them, your drive will fail more easily in the future..........i.e. shorter lifespan....which would "hurt" hardware inside the drives

Is it real? or totally wrong? or it could be possible depending on the brand and build quality of your drive?

Anyone can confirm to me? Thanks a lot !

:)

Tsw88, Feb 28, 2019
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Portable hard drive and windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with connecting
    portable hard drive in Windows 10.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• Is the hard drive getting detected on the computer?

• Do you face any issue while using other USB devices?
    This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Missing Windows Update.

2. USB port is damaged.

3. Damaged hardware.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a) Press Windows Key.

b) Type Troubleshooting in the search box and hit
    Enter.

c) Click on Hardware and sound.

d) Click on Hardware and device and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to install all the available Windows Updates and also latest chipset driver from the computer manufacturer website. You may also try connecting the hard drive to a different USB port.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Feb 28, 2019
  4. USB Flash stick / portable hard drvies , is it only a myth?

need to (un)encrypt a usb flash drive

Hi Malcolm,

For clarification regarding formatting your USB flash drive, when you say "I've already ran CMD prompt", did you run it under safe mode? If not, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Shutdown your PC.
    • Insert your USB Memory Stick into your laptop or Computer.
    • Turn on laptop, and then immediately start pressing F8.
    • Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
    • After loading files, if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is G (for example), then write as:

C:\windows\system32>G:, and press Enter.

G:\>format G:, and press Enter.
    • Press Y, and press Enter.
    • Now a full format will start which remove write protection from USB Memory Stick.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

USB Flash stick / portable hard drvies , is it only a myth?

1. USB Flash stick / portable hard drvies , is it only a myth? - Similar Threads - USB Flash stick

2. Recovery with a USB flash stick-Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery with a USB flash stick-Windows 11: How does doing a recovery with a USB flash stick work? The laptop is 512 SSD-latitude.How much of a USB flash stick will do it and how do you do it with the flash stick?I want to get a recovery done but am not a tech, and do not work with computers that much.Thank you for you...
  3. Recovery with a USB flash stick-Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery with a USB flash stick-Windows 11: How does doing a recovery with a USB flash stick work? The laptop is 512 SSD-latitude.How much of a USB flash stick will do it and how do you do it with the flash stick?I want to get a recovery done but am not a tech, and do not work with computers that much.Thank you for you...
  4. portable hard drive to USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    portable hard drive to USB: I have a portable hard drive and I am using a USB sync and charge cable. It lights up and flashes but doesn't show in File Explorer. It shows in Devices and printers but can't access it. Tried each USB port and on 2 laptops. Any advice please...
  5. Portable Hard Drives and Memory Sticks NOT working

Portable Hard Drives and Memory Sticks NOT working: Running Windows 10 assume the latest version on a HP computer.... 1. Computer will not read a 1TB toshiba portable hard drive, I have tried lots of things and computer will still not recognise it - please do not ask me to format because I cannot even get the drive to come...
  6. USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive

USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive: my computer tells me it is connected but It will not pull up the contents of the hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/usb-30-portable-hard-drive/6d81eff8-30de-4c8c-af1b-a320eff49697
  7. Problem with a 64gb USB Verbatim flash stick

Problem with a 64gb USB Verbatim flash stick: This evening I wanted to transfer a 11gb video from an external hard drive to a 64gb USB flash stick (sometimes called a thumb drive or pen drive), but I noticed there seemed to be an 'extra drive' showing on 'This PC'....drive (H). I think (but am not sure) this is a result...
  8. Problem with a 64gb USB Verbatim flash stick

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with a 64gb USB Verbatim flash stick: This evening I wanted to transfer a 11gb video from an external hard drive to a 64gb USB flash stick (sometimes called a thumb drive or pen drive), but I noticed there seemed to be an 'extra drive' showing on 'This PC'....drive (H). I think (but am not sure) this is a result...
  9. USB Flash Drive vs Portable External Hard drive for everyday use?

USB Flash Drive vs Portable External Hard drive for everyday use?: Hello everyone! Good day to you! For my laptop, I am stuck on deciding whether I should use a 128gb or 256gb flash drive or a 1tb portable external drive for my every day use like storing my software, documents etc. and use it for when I am out and about as well. What do you...
  10. No window pops up when I plug in my USB portable hard or flash drive.

No window pops up when I plug in my USB portable hard or flash drive.: When I plug in my USB flash drive or portable hard drive I don't get a window that pops up. Both drives will make a sound and show up in ThisPC so I have to go there to use them. Is there any way to fix this? 54378