Windows 10: USB greyed out after format interrupted

Discus and support USB greyed out after format interrupted in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi,I was formatting quick format not selected a USB drive and it got accidentally disconnected from the machine. Now the USB is greyed out in My PC and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by michaelB_316, Jan 14, 2023.

1. USB greyed out after format interrupted

Hi,I was formatting quick format not selected a USB drive and it got accidentally disconnected from the machine. Now the USB is greyed out in My PC and the PC doesn't seem to recognise it all. So far I have to no avail tried to:1 - Uninstall USB Mass Storage Device in Device Manager, unplug then plug the USB drive back in.2 - Using Disk management and AOMEI Partition Assistant to try and format or repair but the USB drive isn't present in the list of drives at all.3 - Using the CMD chkdsk command but it says "Cannot open volume for direct access.".Have I completely ruined the USB drive? Than

:)

michaelB_316, Jan 14, 2023
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jan 14, 2023
  3. freebird_9924, Jan 14, 2023
  4. mikel33 Win User

USB greyed out after format interrupted

USB Flash Drive saying not formatted..?

Hi,

I have a Memorex Poker Chip USB Flash Drive 1GB, and It shows up fine on one PC as "Poker Chip" in explore, and I can transfer files... but on my other PC (the one I'm on now..specs in profile) it's listed only as H: Removable Disk, and when I click on it, it says: "The Device is not formatted, would you like to format it now? (Y/N). Why would it be recognized on one PC, but the not the other? How come the other PC didn't need it formatted? When I click yes to format it, it says: "Windows was unable to complete the format"

I went to the BIOS and USB 2.0 is enabled. And Device Manager does list it as a Memorex Poker Chip..

mikel33, Jan 14, 2023
Thema:

USB greyed out after format interrupted

1. USB greyed out after format interrupted - Similar Threads - USB greyed format

2. how to fix greyed out USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to fix greyed out USB flash drive: hello,i formatted a flash drive to work with xbox storage using an application called xboxmediaUSB after failing to use it correctly i scrapped the idea and tried reformatting the device back for windows use, i got an error saying that the usb was malfunctioning but i...
  3. VMware Player USB device greyed out

in Windows 10 News
    VMware Player USB device greyed out: [IMG]Some users have complained that when they open the VMware Player (or VMware Workstation Player) on their Windows PC and power on the virtual machine, they are unable to access the removable USB device(s) such as USB camera, USB hard drive, etc., connected to the host...
  4. USB greyed out after format interrupted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB greyed out after format interrupted: Hi,I was formatting quick format not selected a USB drive and it got accidentally disconnected from the machine. Now the USB is greyed out in My PC and the PC doesn't seem to recognise it all. So far I have to no avail tried to:1 - Uninstall USB Mass Storage Device in Device...
  5. USB greyed out after format interrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB greyed out after format interrupted: Hi,I was formatting quick format not selected a USB drive and it got accidentally disconnected from the machine. Now the USB is greyed out in My PC and the PC doesn't seem to recognise it all. So far I have to no avail tried to:1 - Uninstall USB Mass Storage Device in Device...
  6. default format greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    default format greyed out: hello i have windows 11 home, so i can't change default format setting in control paneli can't change the default format because its grayed out. any solution for this?...
  7. default format greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default format greyed out: hello i have windows 11 home, so i can't change default format setting in control paneli can't change the default format because its grayed out. any solution for this?...
  8. Usb broken after Formatting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Usb broken after Formatting: Hello, I Formatted my USB into exFAT, because it was on 32GB it was USB used for a clean installation of windows so I switched it back to 1TB, It was working great but when I wanted to give some files into it It disconnected from my PC, I connected it back and it wrote...
  9. Headphones Advanced Format Settings Greyed Out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Headphones Advanced Format Settings Greyed Out: So I've been trying to turn up the sound quality on my headphones just to see what it's like. What I do is go to the sound control panel and open the properties for my headphones, then I navigate to the "Advanced" tab to change the default format, but once I get there the...
  10. Locked out after interrupted update

in Windows 10 Support
    Locked out after interrupted update: I was in a hurry, and shut down Windows 10 during an update. Now I am locked out. My password does not work. I turned the laptop off 3 times at the login screen and on the 4th start I was in Safe Mode. I selected a restore option and was asked for my password. It was...