Windows 10: USB hard drive is inaccessible

Discus and support USB hard drive is inaccessible in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Mysterious USB hard drive problem. After a couple of hours trying to resolve this I have gotten various error messages shown below. - Hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AdventureDave, Sep 28, 2020.

1. USB hard drive is inaccessible

Hello,

Mysterious USB hard drive problem.

After a couple of hours trying to resolve this I have gotten various error messages shown below.

- Hard Fail: music player locked up while accessing music files on external USB hard drive X:

- Rebooted computer. Every time I tried to access the X: drive the File Explorer would lock up

- USB Safe Removal shows hard drive, sometimes. Sometimes it shows the full name and sometimes it shows generic name BUP BK

- Disk Management shows X: drive with NTFS format

- CHKDSK fails to run and error message says "CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives"

- Error message: X: is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.

- Event Viewer contains System error "NTFS: The default transaction resource manager on volume X: encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code.

- Tried moving hard drive to another computer. It shows up in File Manager but when a folder is selected it cannot display and locks up.

- Tried again and Disk Management shows X: drive with RAW format now. "Healthy Basic Data Partition"

I would appreciate ideas for how to fix this problem. I get the impression the data is fine but something is wrong or corrupted that doesn't allow access to the drive.

Thanks,

Dave

:)

AdventureDave, Sep 28, 2020

2. Hard Drive not Showing

Hi Lori,

Thank you for posting back.

• How are you connecting the Hard drive to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the hard drive to a different computer and check if it works?

It's possible that your USB drivers are corrupt. I suggest you to try the following steps and check.

• Press Windows Key +R and type
      devmgmt.msc
      to open Device manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
      at the left bottom.
    • Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click on
      Uninstall to remove it.
    • Repeat these steps for the entire USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Sep 28, 2020
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Sep 28, 2020
  4. USB hard drive is inaccessible

exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

USB hard drive is inaccessible

1. USB hard drive is inaccessible - Similar Threads - USB hard drive

2. Bitlocker drive encryption interrupted, USB inaccessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker drive encryption interrupted, USB inaccessible: Hi guys, I was encrypting a USB drive with bitlocker when the encryption was interrupted halfway. Now the drive is inaccessible and cannot even be formatted. Is there any way to reformat it or recover it ?Thanks...
  3. Bitlocker drive encryption interrupted, USB inaccessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker drive encryption interrupted, USB inaccessible: Hi guys, I was encrypting a USB drive with bitlocker when the encryption was interrupted halfway. Now the drive is inaccessible and cannot even be formatted. Is there any way to reformat it or recover it ?Thanks...
  4. USB Hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Hard drive: I have just started to get this error Device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_ASMT&Prod_2235&Rev_0#093458FA5D9A&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b} requires further installation.The device is under device manager but not showing under Disk Management for file...
  5. Hard Drive is Inaccessible Because of Administrator Problems?

Hard Drive is Inaccessible Because of Administrator Problems?: I plugged a hard drive into my laptop today but Windows said it was inaccessible. I ran chkdsk in Command Prompt and it was able to access it with no problems, but Windows itself still could not access it. I ran Disk Management and I found out that the disk was only...
  6. Hard Drive Folders inaccessible

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard Drive Folders inaccessible: The HP 8200 Elite SFF with Windows 10 64 bit the internal hard drive forever (j:) is with an issue. Last night the computer worked fine, today when I turned it on this happened. I opened up Forever and drilled down to a folder 'sites' and found a site folder I needed. I...
  7. USB hard drive SAMSUNG!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB hard drive SAMSUNG!: Hello guys. I have a little problem here -> So ill moved my folders from windows 10 to usb hard drive disk like 2 weeks ago, then i reinstalled windows 10 all good everythink work fine. Now i noticed that one folder have that lock picture on it and the problem is that i...
  8. Hard drive inaccessible, parameter incorrect

Hard drive inaccessible, parameter incorrect: Last night for an unknown reason, my 1 TB Seagate external hard drive wasnt allowing me to use things inside of it or open it. It would tell me the parameters were incorrect. When it was plugged in, I was unable to use the taskbar with the start menu unresponsive and my...
  9. Hard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run)

Hard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run): Okay, here's a weird one. And of the searching I've done, it seems others who've had this problem have had encryption, which I don't. Problem: When I click on my H: drive or try to access it from the command line, it gives me an access denied error. However, all of the...
  10. External hard drive is inaccessible

External hard drive is inaccessible: I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB USB 3.0 external hard drive that I use to store (majority) videos and documents. A few days ago it started giving me this error for every folder and file, and eventually just from trying to access the hard drive itself from This PC:...