Windows 10: USB hard drive keeps disconnecting when trying to copy files to it

Discus and support USB hard drive keeps disconnecting when trying to copy files to it in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm trying to back up a whole bunch of files to my external HDD, and every few minutes it disconnects for no apparent reason. Just, all of a sudden... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/NostalgiaSchmaltz, Dec 15, 2020.

1. USB hard drive keeps disconnecting when trying to copy files to it

I'm trying to back up a whole bunch of files to my external HDD, and every few minutes it disconnects for no apparent reason. Just, all of a sudden Windows will play the "device disconnected" sound and the file transfer will be interrupted, even though the HDD is still plugged in. If I unplug it and then plug it back in, Windows takes ~20 seconds to recognize that it's plugged in, and then everything works as normal, and I can hit "Try Again" to continue the file transfer.....until 3-5 minutes later when it decides to randomly disconnect again.

I've tried plugging it into other USB ports, using USB 2.0 port instead of the USB 3.0, nothing seems to work, it just keeps randomly disconnecting like this.

Is the drive dying or something? I've only had it for about a year and a half and never had any issues until now.

submitted by /u/NostalgiaSchmaltz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/NostalgiaSchmaltz, Dec 15, 2020

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown USB hard drive keeps disconnecting when trying to copy files to it :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Dec 15, 2020
  3. Copying files from a USB key to my hard drive.

I have the same issue - ever since installed Windows 10!

I just tried your suggestion. If I copy the file to a folder on the hard drive and then compare that with the target file, the file compare dialog works fine. The issue seems to affect USB drives. Hope this helps.

Peter Perros, Dec 15, 2020
  4. Platibus Win User

USB hard drive keeps disconnecting when trying to copy files to it

Stored files in Hard Drive

I'd like to know if there's a way of listing all the files stored in my hardware and arrange them by size, because I want to keep track of what's on my hard drive. Thanks, I hope you answer.

Platibus, Dec 15, 2020
Thema:

USB hard drive keeps disconnecting when trying to copy files to it

1. USB hard drive keeps disconnecting when trying to copy files to it - Similar Threads - USB hard drive

2. External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...: Hello everyone,This problem has been happening to me since tonight. All was fine but suddenly my external hard drive, which i often need disconnected and then, about 30 seconds later, reconnected to the PC, but this time as "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request...
  3. External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...: Hello everyone,This problem has been happening to me since tonight. All was fine but suddenly my external hard drive, which i often need disconnected and then, about 30 seconds later, reconnected to the PC, but this time as "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request...
  4. External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD When Trying to Copy to a USB Drive.

BSOD When Trying to Copy to a USB Drive.: Every time I insert an USB drive and try to copy to it I receive the BSOD.. I can read from the USB but can not copy to it. I have tried multiply USB driver with the same results. Can anyone help?The even log says: The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device...
  6. Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting: [ATTACH] Hello guys, I just connected eight 10 TB hard drives to my PC through USB 3.1. I am using the Mediasonic 8 bay enclosure found here. It's connected to the PC running Windows 10 on Asus' Z370 motherboard. When I'm copying files to the drives (3 or 4 copy...
  7. Copy entire USB to hard drive on laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy entire USB to hard drive on laptop: I have a USB "thumb" drive or whatever it is called and I would like to copy the entire content to my hard drive. The electronics pulled out of the plastic body and I don't want to lose the files so I would like to copy to hard drive and then back the files up at a later...
  8. Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive: I'm trying to copy all my pictures off of my hard drive onto a 3T external hard drive. I have very little disk space remaining on my hard drive. When I 'copy' the pictures file and then try to paste it to the external hard drive, I get the message "There is not enough space...
  9. USB 3.0 drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting when i move files

USB 3.0 drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting when i move files: ok so im sure you have seen this all before, its a common issue, but a long time ago i have fixed this issue but i forgot how. i have already tried all the fixes i could find on the internet . i disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on every...
  10. Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive: Hi everyone. I apologize if this is a duplicate request by others but greatly need some assistance. Today, I transferred files from my husband's Samsung Galaxy S7 to the laptop hard drive. Once transferred, I hit "Ctrl-C" to "copy" them from the laptop folder to our...