Windows 10: USB hard drive Unknown and not initialised

Discus and support USB hard drive Unknown and not initialised in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I have a 1TB external USB hard drive, it is not showing up in 'my computer' the light on the hard drive is constantly flashing and randomly beeps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by freya306, Jan 13, 2016.

1. freya306 Win User

USB hard drive Unknown and not initialised

Hi I have a 1TB external USB hard drive, it is not showing up in 'my computer' the light on the hard drive is constantly flashing and randomly beeps and clicks when first plugged in, I have never heard this until today..
    I have tried it on two laptops, windows 7 and windows 10 and in a macbook, does not show up.
    I have tried a different cable from another USB device, still no luck.
    It appears in device manager which says it is running normally, I have tried un-installing and re-installing, no luck! In disk manager it says the disk is unknown and not initialised, see screenshot.
    Reading other forums suggest trying Minitool partition wizard it comes up but as 0GB, screenshot
    Please help me recover my device, it has a lot of data on it that I don't want to lose! I hope it is still there!

:)

freya306, Jan 13, 2016
  2. Hart2459 Win User

External Hard Drive is not getting recognized properly.

Original Title: External Hard Drive Issue

Hello,

I have a 2 WD My Passport 2TB external hard drives with a lot of backup data on. I cannot access them from my laptop, however they work fine on other computers, TV, etc. The USB ports on my laptop are functional as I can use other devices from them. On plugging
    the hard drives in, they do not appear in 'my computer', however when I look at 'devices and printers' they appear and have the option to safely remove. I have tried the troubleshoot tool on this page with no success.

After doing a bit of online research, I have found that when I open disk management, sometimes they appear as disk 1, unknown, 0GB, not initialised (It wont let me initialise them) and other times they just don't appear there at all (like now).

I'm at a bit of a loss, any ideas?

Thank you!

Hart2459, Jan 13, 2016
  3. WD drive not working

My problem appears that the disk won't initialise. I've tried multiple apps and utilities and its pointing to a physical problem with the drive. It sounds ok, light are on, the usb hub works, but something is stopping the disk from initialising and
    registering properly.

JamesSchlipalius, Jan 13, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Sounds like your Ext HDD has failed.

Depending on the failure mode, you may be able to grab your data using a recovery program. However, with clicking noises, that seems to be a mechanical failure, and doesn't sound hopeful. Good luck!

simrick, Jan 13, 2016
  5. freya306 Win User
    I've tried on EaseUS recovery however it doesn't appear on there as a drive to allow me to scan it *Sad

freya306, Jan 13, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Try Recuva.

What brand HDD is this? Western Digital?

simrick, Jan 13, 2016
  7. freya306 Win User
    not coming up on recuva either, just cant see it as a drive to recover.
    yes its Western Digital.

freya306, Jan 13, 2016
  8. freya306 Win User

if i try 'not sure where to scan' and it scans everywhere it comes up with this message, I'm assuming thats my hard drive..

freya306, Jan 13, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Looks like \\HarddiskVolume2 is your failed drive and this scanned your system drive. If you scroll down the window, do you see your files? Probably not.

simrick, Jan 13, 2016
  10. freya306 Win User
    No, none of my files are there.
    Could re initialising the disk in disk manager then trying to recover the files be a possible solution?

freya306, Jan 13, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    Not sure - I don't know if that would do any more damage or if it would even initialize at this point (because it appears to be a mechanical failure).

Depending on how important your data is and how badly you need it recovered, it may be time for a professional recovery service.

Or, Spinrite might help, but it's not free.

I know now is not a good time, but best practice is 3-2-1 for backups: 3 total, 2 alternating on-site and 1 off-site.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB hard drive Unknown and not initialised - Similar Threads - USB hard drive

2. External Hard Drive Won't Initialise: The Device Is Not Ready

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Won't Initialise: The Device Is Not Ready: Hi, I am trying to format a 4TB WD MyPassport on Win11. The drive doesn't appear in This PC, but does appear in the Control Panel's Devices and Printers and in Disk Management. Upon trying to initialise the hard drive, I am shown the message "The device is not ready".I can't...
  3. External Hard Drive Won't Initialise: The Device Is Not Ready

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Won't Initialise: The Device Is Not Ready: Hi, I am trying to format a 4TB WD MyPassport on Win11. The drive doesn't appear in This PC, but does appear in the Control Panel's Devices and Printers and in Disk Management. Upon trying to initialise the hard drive, I am shown the message "The device is not ready".I can't...
  4. USB Hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Hard drive: I have just started to get this error Device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_ASMT&Prod_2235&Rev_0#093458FA5D9A&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b} requires further installation.The device is under device manager but not showing under Disk Management for file...
  5. Unknown files on my hard drive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown files on my hard drive partition: I have got some bizarre dll, exe, etc files on My New Volume: E Partition of Hard drive which was empty out of nowhere. Can anyone Please tell what are these files about? Are they important? What should I do to them? Is there any problem in my PC?[ATTACH]...
  6. Installing Windows onto a blank initialised drive with USB bootable media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows onto a blank initialised drive with USB bootable media: Hi, I have a blank initialised SSD and USB with bootable Win10 on it as downloaded through the official Bootable Media creation tool. When I come to selecting the partition to install on there are partitions 0 and 1 it gives me an error saying it is not the expected...
  7. Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) when attaching hard drive

Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) when attaching hard drive: I am attempting to attached a hard drive to my Windows 10 Dell Latitude E5470 laptop using a USB cable. When I plug it in I am seeing a "USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device" followed by a "Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)" error. I've tried - Rebooting...
  8. Disk 1 Unknown Not initialised

Disk 1 Unknown Not initialised: Hi, I have made a stupid mistake by resetting my windows 10 using the advanced start-up option without any device or disc( just my laptop). Later, I have found that the computer can only recognise my C drive, and when I go to my disk manager, it shows my other drive to be...
  9. Hard drive to RAW and unknown disk

Hard drive to RAW and unknown disk: my hard drive changed to raw, and now do not look in windows! In the data manager, I can see that it exists. unknown disk no initiated! I can not format it and can not change partition or do anything else? I have tried many programs, mini tools two but it's coming nowhere! is...
  10. Hard drive unknown, not initialized

Hard drive unknown, not initialized: Yesterday while using my computer my secondary drive / storage drive disappeared. I can see it in Disk Management, but I tried to use MiniTool, but it cannot see the drive. I have attached a screen shot for more info. Is it KIA or recoverable long enough to save a couple...