Windows 10: USB Hard Drives Not Recognised

Discus and support USB Hard Drives Not Recognised in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a USB hard drive plugged into a Win10 laptop, that I'm accessing on a Win7 machine via a wireless network. It kept dropping out for a couple of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by koberulz, Aug 24, 2019.

1. koberulz Win User

USB Hard Drives Not Recognised

I have a USB hard drive plugged into a Win10 laptop, that I'm accessing on a Win7 machine via a wireless network. It kept dropping out for a couple of seconds here or there, then went completely dead. Turns out it's an issue with the laptop, not with the network, because it doesn't show up locally either. I plugged it into all the available USB ports on my laptop and no dice, it wouldn't show up. Tried a different USB drive, same result. Tried the original USB drive in my Win7 machine and it works fine.

When I plug the drives into the Win10 laptop I can feel them spin up, but nothing shows up in My Computer or Disk Management.

:)

koberulz, Aug 24, 2019
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Aug 24, 2019
  3. Unable to connect USB Hard Drives to laptop

After having connected a
    Sisun HDD docking station
    to my Sony Laptop , Windows Explorer refuses to recognise any USB hard drive (although other software such as a disk utility can) and I am therefore unable to save files to these drives. Windows does recognise some USB pen drives
    but larger HDD are not recognised. To date, I have;

• Uninstalled the USB controllers through Device manager (forcing Windows to reinstall them on reboot); and
    • Run both the WinUSB and DeviceDiagnostic software to no avail.
    I'd rather not do a clean reinstall of Windows as I am unable to backup my files. Any other suggestions?

SteveAinsworth, Aug 24, 2019
  4. Julie Ram Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Hi twynog,

The issue that you're experiencing with the external hard drive might be due to some missing Windows hardware or software updates. To help you in resolving this, you may follow the steps below:

Method 1: Uninstall and then reconnect the external hard drive - this method resolve issues where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt.

• Select Start, type Device Manager in the Search box.
    • Select Device Manager from the returned list.
    • Select Disk Drives from the list of hardware.
    • Press and hold (or right-click) the USB external hard drive with the issue, and select Uninstall.
    • After the hard drive is uninstalled, unplug the USB cable.
    • Wait for 1 minute and then reconnect the USB cable. The driver should automatically load.
    • Check for the USB drive in Windows Explorer.

If method 1 doesn't work the way it should, you may proceed to other steps provided in this
    article.

Do get back to us if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same issue.

Julie Ram, Aug 24, 2019
Thema:

1. USB Hard Drives Not Recognised - Similar Threads - USB Hard Drives

2. USB hard drive suddenly not being recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB hard drive suddenly not being recognised: My USB SSD hard drive is suddenly not being found. I get following message E:\ is not accessible.The parameter is incorrect.In the events log it saysdevice scsi\disk&ven_seagate&prod_expansion\6&3af44d73&4&000000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.Can anyone...
  3. USB hard drive suddenly not being recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB hard drive suddenly not being recognised: My USB SSD hard drive is suddenly not being found. I get following message E:\ is not accessible.The parameter is incorrect.In the events log it saysdevice scsi\disk&ven_seagate&prod_expansion\6&3af44d73&4&000000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.Can anyone...
  4. USB hard drive suddenly not being recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External hard drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive not recognised: Hi Purchased a new H-D for my Dell A Seagate Barrcuda. Did a clean install to the new drive. at the same time I put the old drive in a brand new external enclosure with the intention of copying the files over. The "new" installation cannot access the USB drive, even though...
  6. External Hard Drive not recognised

External Hard Drive not recognised: I have a brand new micrsoft surface and I cannot for the life of me get it to recognise my external hard drive. I read a similar post which required an input of a drive letter which seemed like what i needed to do, however i cannot click on the "change drive letter and...
  7. Iomega Hard Drive not Recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Iomega Hard Drive not Recognised: My Iomega Hard Drive which has been working on my home network for over 5 years is not seen by either of the two pc's running Windows 10 since January 2020. I am therefore unable to access to save or view any media. Can you advise please?...
  8. USB Hard Drives Not Recognised

USB Hard Drives Not Recognised: I have a USB hard drive plugged into a Win10 laptop, that I'm accessing on a Win7 machine via a wireless network. It kept dropping out for a couple of seconds here or there, then went completely dead. Turns out it's an issue with the laptop, not with the network, because it...
  9. Hard Drive Not Recognised

Hard Drive Not Recognised: I have a Dell Inspiron with a SSD 128GB and an HDD 1TB. I am not technically knowledgeable, but have been able to run all diagnostics I can trace regarding my issue. The HDD is no longer visible in File Explorer. I have run an F2 and an F12 diagnostic from the Dell boot...
  10. SSD recognised as hard drive

SSD recognised as hard drive: I have an SSD for my C drive and Windows tells me it's a hard drive, I know it's not because I can see it sitting inside my PC. I ran "winsat formal" in cmd twice and that did not fix it. windows also wants me to "optimise" it. so what do I do?...