Windows 10: USB HDD Keep Alive

Discus and support USB HDD Keep Alive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I have a specific need. Before you say "do this instead" or get a Nas, I simply cannot afford any other options. I have a USB HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/865guy, Nov 22, 2020.

1. /u/865guy Win User

USB HDD Keep Alive

Hello everyone. I have a specific need. Before you say "do this instead" or get a Nas, I simply cannot afford any other options.

I have a USB HDD attached to my router. My computer hosts a Plex Media server. That USB drive has it's own share drive in File Explorer. My only real issue is that unless media is streaming, that USB hard drive will eventually go into a deep sleep and won't wake up w/o unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in.

I am looking for a way, a script?, that will send a small repetitive (loop?] write file to the drive every 5 minutes. Maybe the script could just search that drive for something. Basically, anything that will keep the drive online until I no longer need it to be.

Thank you in advance.

submitted by /u/865guy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/865guy, Nov 22, 2020

2. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Nov 22, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

USB HDD Keep Alive

USB HDD: IN BIOS

Hi AJAY, in modern BIOS (UEFI) it is normal to have USB devices listed, such as USB HDD without drive being plugged in.

In older Legacy BIOS, a drive would have to be plugged in for it to be listed in BIOS, but not no londer . . .

DaveM121, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

USB HDD Keep Alive

1. USB HDD Keep Alive - Similar Threads - USB HDD Keep

2. How to keep alive two installs of the same app?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to keep alive two installs of the same app?: I have the trading app MetaTrader 5 MT5 on my system but I also have a version by a broker which is exactly the same app with branding images/wording slightly different on it.I found many programs that will "Keep Alive" an app on Windows 11 and they work with MT5 however...
  3. How to keep alive two installs of the same app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to keep alive two installs of the same app?: I have the trading app MetaTrader 5 MT5 on my system but I also have a version by a broker which is exactly the same app with branding images/wording slightly different on it.I found many programs that will "Keep Alive" an app on Windows 11 and they work with MT5 however...
  4. How to keep alive two installs of the same app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive alive again

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive alive again: After a botched PCMover file transfer from Windows 10 laptop to Windows 10 laptop, I see all these folders under This PC whose properties indicate OneDrive in the path. My entire Excel documents in one subfolder show 0KB although I have these files in my User backup. I did...
  6. USB external HDD keeps going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB external HDD keeps going to sleep: I have a ThinkPad X1 6 gen for specs Currently I have a USB external HDD that keeps going to sleep. When I go to power options, there is no options for usb power however looking online I see that there should be. I've tried running some CMD commands I found online to restore...
  7. Microsoft new plan to keep Cortana alive and differentiated

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft new plan to keep Cortana alive and differentiated: We've heard for at least a year that Microsoft was working to reposition Cortana from a standalone assistant like Alexa and Google Assistant, to more of an assistance aide. Details on what that meant were scarce until this week when Microsoft started sharing more about its...
  8. Keeping the Bluetooth connection alive (or automatic reconnection)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keeping the Bluetooth connection alive (or automatic reconnection): Until last year-summer the Bluetooth connection was working perfectly: the headsets were connecting automatically, once the connection was activated. If for some time there was no sound playing, the headsets were disconnecting automatically, then, when the sound was becoming...
  9. Usb Medion hdd keeps losing connection

Usb Medion hdd keeps losing connection: Hi, I have a 1000 GB usb hdd from Medion, formatted in NTFS, assigned driveletter J in diskmanagement. My problem is that the drive keeps losing connection to my laptop all the time., so I have to power up again. I do not recall this as a problem with earlier versions of...
  10. How to Keep Laptop Battery Alive and Well

How to Keep Laptop Battery Alive and Well: I've read the Windows 10 tutorial on battery saver, but it doesn't seem to address what I need to know. Neither do the various threads on same. I need to know if this particular "battery saver" will preserve my battery if I leave it plugged into the wall socket 90% of the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. keep alive hdd

2. hdd keep alive.