Windows 10: USB HDD sleeps right away (Fixed)

Discus and support USB HDD sleeps right away (Fixed) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've had this nagging problem of USB connected HDD sleeping. If I open a file from my USB connected HDD to work on it, By the time I get ready to save... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KWK_277, Mar 9, 2019.

1. KWK_277 Win User

USB HDD sleeps right away (Fixed)

I've had this nagging problem of USB connected HDD sleeping. If I open a file from my USB connected HDD to work on it, By the time I get ready to save the drive is asleep. The only thing that seemed to work is recycling the USB HDD. Barely a work-around.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Try this:

Click On Control Panel
    Click On Hardware and Sound
    Click On Portable Super Multi Drive
    Click On Hardware
    Click On USB Mass Storage Device
    Click On Properties
    Click On Change Settings
    Click On Power Management
    Deselect or Clear the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
    Click On "OK"
    Click On "OK"
    Click On "Close" to close the Control Panel
    Then Reboot/Restart

So far it seems to be working for me.

:)

KWK_277, Mar 9, 2019

2. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Horrux Win User
    One HDD disappears after PC sleeps

Thanks a million! That fixed it! *Smile USB HDD sleeps right away (Fixed) :)

Horrux, Mar 9, 2019
  4. jmcslob Win User

2 x SSD Raid 0 - is this right?

T ski b4 your done with this post can you list a step by step fix of what you did, I would appreciate it if you would...Thanks

jmcslob, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

1. USB HDD sleeps right away (Fixed) - Similar Threads - USB HDD sleeps

2. Apps close right away

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps close right away: After the most recent update for my Windows 10 Home laptop my Microsoft store apps, including Calculator, won't open. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-close-right-away/e7469231-6797-4097-9809-fdc35497d99d
  3. Apps close right away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps close right away: After the most recent update for my Windows 10 Home laptop my Microsoft store apps, including Calculator, won't open. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-close-right-away/e7469231-6797-4097-9809-fdc35497d99d
  4. Apps close right away

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. USB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB HDD: Hello,I have a small problem.I have recently upgraded my laptop from an HDD to a SSD, and everything is fine with Win 10.I have installed the old HDD in a USB3.0 caddy, here is the odd thing!If I plug the caddy into the laptop USB port the laptop sees the HDD straight away...
  6. USB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB HDD: Hello,I have had 2 USB HDD 1, 2TB and 1 4TB plus 2 Micro SD card give me the Access Denied and this after using them to store thing it just all sudden.It is not the device because it you format it works just fine and if I put it SD card back in the camera works find but in my...
  7. USB external HDD keeps going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB external HDD keeps going to sleep: I have a ThinkPad X1 6 gen for specs Currently I have a USB external HDD that keeps going to sleep. When I go to power options, there is no options for usb power however looking online I see that there should be. I've tried running some CMD commands I found online to restore...
  8. External USB HDD going to sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External USB HDD going to sleep mode: I don't understand why Microsoft refuses to address this problem in Windows 10. It's an old problem and all the answers from Microsoft are vague and send us around things that people have already tried and it does not solve the problem. Just look at the blogs of the...
  9. 1809.. It sounded aways away right

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1809.. It sounded aways away right: Hey people I am days into activating my Windows 10 Pro because my windows.old software was deleted and no one knows what to do. Fact is Microsoft keep's updating me. Today I got 1809..why? I can not activate it. I have been an Insider for years and years my friends. I am an...
  10. 1809.. It sounded aways away right

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1809.. It sounded aways away right: Hey people I am days into activating my Windows 10 Pro because my windows.old software was deleted and no one knows what to do. Fact is Microsoft keep's updating me. Today I got 1809..why? I can not activate it. I have been an Insider for years and years my friends. I am an...