Windows 10: USB Headphones not available as playback or recording device

Discus and support USB Headphones not available as playback or recording device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a brand new HyperX Cloud II USB gaming headset with a microphone. It does not show up as either a playback or recording device. The only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ToddEverett1, Dec 29, 2018.

1. USB Headphones not available as playback or recording device

I have a brand new HyperX Cloud II USB gaming headset with a microphone. It does not show up as either a playback or recording device. The only available output device is Realtek Digital Output.

I have run the troubleshooter in the settings --> sound. The devices are not listed there either.

I have disabled "allow this computer to turn off this device for power management" in device manager --> usb root hub

Windows 10 home v1803 OS build 17134.472

:)

ToddEverett1, Dec 29, 2018

2. Frequent switching of playback and recording devices

Windows 10 user for a bit and have been seeing this as an 'issue' for quite a few versions of Windows.

I have x3 recording and x2-3 playback devices installed.

Recording

• Logitech Webcam (USB)
    • Plantronics Headset (USB)
    • Blue Yeti Pro (USB)
    Playback

• Bose Speakers (Speaker port on Dell touchscreen)
    • Plantronics Headset (USB)
    • Earbuds (headphones port - not always plugged in)
    Most are hardwired and one has a Bluetooth connection capability (Plantronics). I find myself often switching from one device to another, depending on the situation - recording, listening to music, taking a phone call, etc.

The current switching process is a bit cumbersome - right click the speaker in the taskbar, select playback or recording device and then picking whichever device. I find myself going thru this process x2-5 a day given whatever I am doing

It would seem to me that an app or icon / button selector would be ideal. Anyone aware of an app or device that might accommodate my need?

StevenGroves, Dec 29, 2018
  3. spriggs Win User
    Playback devices

Before I received the Creators update, plugging my headphones into the front jack socket did not automatically switch the default playback device from speakers to headphones. I had to go to the playback device menu and do this manually. Since the update, plugging in the headphones works exactly as it should but, oddly, the headphones no longer appear as an option in the playback menu. Any suggestion why?
    It has also been some considerable time since I was able to access the via hd console. Clicking on VIAAUD in Program Files has no effect whatsoever. Any views on this?

spriggs, Dec 29, 2018
  4. USB Headphones not available as playback or recording device

USB Headphones not working WINDOWS 10

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

This issue might resolve making the headphones as default device in Playback devices.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if the issue persists.

• Right click on the Speaker icon (Volume icon). Select
      Playback devices.
    • Select Headphones and click Set default.
    • Click apply and check if the issue resolves.
    Keep us posted if the headphone issue is resolved. We are glad to help you.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

USB Headphones not available as playback or recording device

1. USB Headphones not available as playback or recording device - Similar Threads - USB Headphones available

2. USB headphones won't show up under playback devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB headphones won't show up under playback devices: I have windows 11 and when I plug in my usb headset they don't show up under playback devices. It randomly stopped working the other day while in use. I'm worried it has to do with my motherboard sound hardware failing but for the USB only. I tried other usb headsets and they...
  3. USB headphones won't show up under playback devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB headphones won't show up under playback devices: I have windows 11 and when I plug in my usb headset they don't show up under playback devices. It randomly stopped working the other day while in use. I'm worried it has to do with my motherboard sound hardware failing. I tried other usb headsets and they don't work either so...
  4. Headphone device option not available in the playback not even in the disabled or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphone device option not available in the playback not even in the disabled or...: headphone device option not available in the playback not even in the disabled or disconnected devices in win 8.1 prowhen i connect the earphones through the jack , no sound is recievedsometimes even the bluetooth too works abruptly or stops workingi need quick solution as...
  5. Headphone device option not available in the playback not even in the disabled or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphone device option not available in the playback not even in the disabled or...: headphone device option not available in the playback not even in the disabled or disconnected devices in win 8.1 prowhen i connect the earphones through the jack , no sound is recievedsometimes even the bluetooth too works abruptly or stops workingi need quick solution as...
  6. Bluetooth Headphones paired but not available as playback device or audio output

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth Headphones paired but not available as playback device or audio output: Hello! I have seen this problem multiple times in the Microsoft communities, but not yet with a resolution. I also haven't seen it with my computer, namely an LG gram 14 also with Windows 10 Home. My Bluetooth Headphones pair easily, and immediately show up as "paired."...
  7. Bluetooth Headphones not Working for both Playback and Recording

Bluetooth Headphones not Working for both Playback and Recording: I just recently got a new computer and set up my bluetooth headphones Sony WH-CH500. Just yesterday I was able to both record using the microphone in these headphones and listen to the playback, also using the headphones. Today I seem to only be able to get one working at a...
  8. My headphone don't show up in Playback or Recording devices.

My headphone don't show up in Playback or Recording devices.: So I have had this headset for a while now and I have had no problems with it. Then I realized my microphone isn't working. So I looked up all over google and youtube of how to set up a microphone so I was doing that but everything was saying go into Playback Devices and your...
  9. Change Playback Device For Recording As Headset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Playback Device For Recording As Headset.: Whenever I use my Game DVR and record something on my Windows 10 computer the audio playback is picking up my voice from my monitor and NOT my headset, how do I get it to playback from my headset microphone? ***Changed Original Title From: Capture Voice Problem***...
  10. Headphones not showing in Playback Devices

Headphones not showing in Playback Devices: So I've just finished installing the creators update and only Speakers are showing in Playback Devices. I've tried updating my sound drivers as well as selecting 'Show Disabled/Disconnected Devices'. I've also run the troubleshooter. Headphones do not appear as an option in...