Windows 10: USB HID Magstripe reader stops working on windows 10 Oct build (1809) Access Denied

Discus and support USB HID Magstripe reader stops working on windows 10 Oct build (1809) Access Denied in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi All, I have software that has been running without issue for many versions of windows (back through XP). The software uses CreateFile to obtain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Paul Deignan, Nov 28, 2018.

1. USB HID Magstripe reader stops working on windows 10 Oct build (1809) Access Denied

Hi All,

I have software that has been running without issue for many versions of windows (back through XP). The software uses CreateFile to obtain a handle to a USB Magstripe reader in keyboard emulation mode. Once the handle is obtained HID Get and Set Feature reports are used to communicate.

This software is aware that USB Keyboards are opened exclusively and works on all versions of windows up to but not including build 1809. (10.0.17763). I now receive Access Denied on both calls.

I am hoping someone can tell me what was changed and how to work around it.

Regards,

Paul

HANDLE hDevice = CreateFile (pDetailData->DevicePath, MAXIMUM_ALLOWED, FILE_SHARE_READ | FILE_SHARE_WRITE,

(LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES)NULL, OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED, NULL);

if (hDevice == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)

{

DebugMsg((_T("OpenPath with no access\n"), pDetailData->DevicePath));

HANDLE hDevice = CreateFile(pDetailData->DevicePath, 0, FILE_SHARE_READ | FILE_SHARE_WRITE,

(LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES)NULL, OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED, NULL);

if (hDevice == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)

{

DWORD errCode = GetLastError();

DebugMsg((_T("Open Error %08x\n"), errCode));

}

}

:)

Paul Deignan, Nov 28, 2018

2. USB HID Magstripe reader stops working on windows 10 Oct build (1809) Access Denied

Hi All,

I have software that has been running without issue for many versions of windows (back through XP). The software uses CreateFile to obtain a handle to a USB Magstripe reader in keyboard emulation mode. Once the handle is obtained HID Get and Set Feature
    reports are used to communicate.

This software is aware that USB Keyboards are opened exclusively and works on all versions of windows up to but not including build 1809. (10.0.17763). I now receive Access Denied on both calls.

I am hoping someone can tell me what was changed and how to work around it.

Regards,

Paul

HANDLE hDevice = CreateFile (pDetailData->DevicePath,
    MAXIMUM_ALLOWED, FILE_SHARE_READ |
    FILE_SHARE_WRITE,

(LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES)NULL,
    OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED,
    NULL);

if (hDevice ==
    INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)

{

DebugMsg((_T("OpenPath with no access\n"), pDetailData->DevicePath));

HANDLE hDevice =
    CreateFile(pDetailData->DevicePath, 0,
    FILE_SHARE_READ | FILE_SHARE_WRITE,

(LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES)NULL,
    OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED,
    NULL);

if (hDevice ==
    INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)

{

DWORD errCode = GetLastError();

DebugMsg((_T("Open Error %08x\n"), errCode));

}

}

Paul Deignan, Jan 28, 2020
  3. Mithin_EJ Win User
    USB HID Magstripe reader stops working on windows 10 Oct build (1809) Access Denied

Hi Paul Deignan,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Your issue with USB HID Magistrate reader is more appropriate to be posted in

MSDN
    forums. Try to visit the link to find a community that will offer the support you request for Windows 10.

Hope it helps.

Mithin_EJ, Jan 28, 2020
  4. maxim__s Win User

USB HID Magstripe reader stops working on windows 10 Oct build (1809) Access Denied

maxim__s, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

1. USB HID Magstripe reader stops working on windows 10 Oct build (1809) Access Denied - Similar Threads - USB HID Magstripe

2. Access Denied usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access Denied usb: I can not access exterior usb drives. Keep getting location not found and access denied response. I did all the suggestions. It is visible in safe mode. Help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-denied-usb/1f74f2fa-a6b4-4057-a43b-cdf25573cc91
  3. Access Denied usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access Denied usb: I can not access exterior usb drives. Keep getting location not found and access denied response. I did all the suggestions. It is visible in safe mode. Help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-denied-usb/1f74f2fa-a6b4-4057-a43b-cdf25573cc91
  4. USB device access denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB device access denied: Hi After I cloned my OS to SSD, I am not able to access any USB drives in any of the USB slots. I am getting an error access is denied. When I run chkdsk in CMD admin mode , I get the following error: Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or the disk...
  5. USB and card reader stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB and card reader stopped working: Both USB ports and card reader stopped working after an update. They do not show up anywhere. I've tried uninstalling USB devices and then restarting. No change. Multiple beeps on startup as when something is connected or disconnected from one of them, but nothing...
  6. usb access denied

usb access denied: i am using Rufus and I'm trying to flash to my flashdrive but windows keep telling me "error access to this device is denied". Sooo frugrated! Nicole https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-access-denied/059e66b2-7732-4556-8536-ca2daf1e9928
  7. USB Access is denied

USB Access is denied: I've recently bought a brand new PC with Windows 10 Home. I've set everything up then plugged in my USB, an error message popped up saying that 'Access is denied'. I've looked everywhere but no luck. Anyone can help me? My account is an administrative account and when I...
  8. Fingerprint reader not working ----- WINDOWS 10 1809

Fingerprint reader not working ----- WINDOWS 10 1809: I have an HP ProBook 470 G5 and I cannot get Fingerprint reader to work all drivers are installed biometrics are not shown in Devices. Can someone please help to resolve issue. Thank you....
  9. USB ports and memory card reader stopped working

USB ports and memory card reader stopped working: My usb ports and memory card reader stopped working...they were fine yesterday. Anyone have a suggestion? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports-and-memory-card-reader-stopped-working/3bda3bbd-9d73-4387-8807-a44968f02136
  10. USB ports and memory card reader stopped working

USB ports and memory card reader stopped working: My usb ports and memory card reader stopped working...they were fine yesterday. Anyone have a suggestion? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/usb-ports-and-memory-card-reader-stopped-working/3bda3bbd-9d73-4387-8807-a44968f02136

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1903 usb hid access denied

2. windows 10 magstripe reader driver

3. windows 10 usb hid write access

4. WIndows 10 1809 HID,
  5. Windows 10 1809 HID usb issue,
  6. windows 10 hid denied access,
  7. windows 1809 hid,
  8. windows 1809 USB access,
  9. windows 10 1809 HID access denied,
  10. access denied usb windows 10 1809,
  11. USB HID Magstripe reader stops working on windows 10,